d_a_n1979

Coronavirus/Covid19

This is getting serious now (well, more serious than it has been).

How is everyone on on here (your friends/family etc) and has anyone been caught out with it yet?

What about work; are there folk on here that have the capability of working from home etc?

I see the PM has just announced that those that can work from home are to do so, but that’s easier said than done for most people, it’s not even a consideration, so what happens?

I'm self isolating, as well as family at the moment. I have asthma and my wife has a low immune system so also taken the decision to not send daughters to school today as we can't have both of us out of action. Most people are in 70's and 80's who are affected and we're in our early/mid 30's but still don't want to take the risk.

I do have my own business and work from the home office anyway but would regularly travel and meet with clients. My wife works a couple of days in Glasgow but its not worth catching it or bringing it home, so staying put. We are 'on holiday' this week at Center Parcs, well, we were meant to be that is but we have moved it to another date.

First post back on here for a while too! 

Edited by aldo.

I work from home fortunately but have had 1 cancellation and one deferment of a project this week.

If that continues cash flow could get sticky...

Worrying times.

15 minutes ago, duncan-uk said:

I work from home fortunately but have had 1 cancellation and one deferment of a project this week.

If that continues cash flow could get sticky...

Worrying times.

You & me both pal.

Had quite a few emails from clients today to say that they’re going to start working from home, which means they’ll be sitting on all digital recruitment needs until they know more. Can’t have face to face meets with strangers not knowing who’s who etc

Just now, Paddy O'Furniture said:

I offered to “work from home” but my managers were having none of it.

May not have any choice in the very near future...

Im selling a van on ebay..im guessing people wont be buying.

Other than that...we are stocking up on building materials incase merchants close up.

We will still work all the time we can stand up. I grounded my dad..he is 75 and has asbestosis.

Edited by Chu

I'm not so sure how long 'self-isolating to avoid catching it' can last as a tactic to avoid catching it.

This virus is here to stay for a little while and whilst the infection transmission rate seems to be slightly higher than traditional flu's the mortality rate doesn't seem to be a great deal worse than traditional flu's when taken across all age ranges.

Covid19 definately has a target audience of the elderly and those with compromised immune systems but for those under 40 there are very, very low mortality rates. 

In terms of its re-transmission there are clues that there are asymptomatic carriers of the virus in which case isolating the virus by identified victims will always fall short; there might always be secret carriers around.

The panic that the media have induced over this is bonkers; the panic buying is ridiculous and there are now going to be a huge amount of companies in the travel, leisure and sport industries that will go to the wall with all the attendant problems of those employed in those sectors.

I know there are those who will be vulnerable to the more severe effects of this virus but I don't think it can be avoided forever and I don't think the mortality rate is going to be as high as perhaps the flu pandemic of 1918.

So does this mean the 4k holiday in july may be able to pay for my golf 35 stage 2. Not that im willing it.

20 minutes ago, Spreadly said:

Idris Elba has the Corono virus.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Could be a good thing..kinda sick of seeing his geezer mug every where.

Not sure what's going to happen in coming days. End of financial year, clients desperate to achieve spend and then boom, Boris opens his mouth. Have asked all my team to work from home or from smaller venues such as coffee shops or such like (although that may have to stop now) to maintain social interaction without visiting our main office which houses over 1000 people in an open plan setup. 

I'm working from home as of tomorrow, on going. I have circa 50 staff across a few teams across the UK. All now working from home. We are very lucky that we can and it doesn't disrupt us too much.

Interesting times. In fact I'm actually hoping to complete four recruitments in the next month, all done remotely. See how that goes.

I see the banks are starting to give grace periods, which is awesome. Our company (one of the largest retailers in the UK) are doing really well to ensure supplies are replenished on a timely basis. But we need panic buying to subside.

Small things I know but I suspect our May Tenerife break is toast as Easyjet will ground everything; our daughters birthday present of tickets for Les Miserables in early April will be be cancelled too; our lovely postie has had her upcoming US trip to Florida booted into touch.

In broader terms Grandparents all over the country/world are going to miss seeing their distant kids and grandkids for months on end due to fear of infection.

Well, having a serious lung condition I am seeing things a bit different now and its not funny!
May the force be with you.

Worrying hearing all these countries having lock-downs...Italy, Spain, Austria, Germany, now France. How long until we do it? I work for a local authority and our department is busy working on a contingency plan of working from home. Year-end is basically around the corner so I do know how that's going to affect work/finances. We are also in the middle of changing one of our payment systems, so working from home might prove difficult.

I was planning on going to South Africa later this year but decided to put it on hold for now. South Africa has imposed some restrictions such as banning tourists from high risks countries such as UK, the USA, most of Europe, China, and South Korea.

Local shops have run out of toilet paper and some tinned foods.

I believe this Corona Virus may have been around for longer than what they've told us. I felt rough for approximately 1.5 weeks in January when I had a "cold/flu". Definitely the worst cold I've had in my 28-year life. I am not the only one to say this. A few of my colleagues and people in my city felt this way in Dec 2019/Jan 2020 time. Some of us may have already had it without realizing it because it wasn't fully known to the media at that time. Still, I'm not taking any chances.

Mom works at the local hospital and I heard that they had a patient who tested positive over the weekend before she did! 

We,re flat out busy,max hours,min break,been as far south to Redruth this last week and Broxburn in Scotland,just getting ready to leave Scotland again for Malton,Hull and Barnsley,

Folks have got to eat so the wheels must keep turning,

Stay healthy and safe everyone.

We,re flat out busy,max hours,min break,been as far south to Redruth this last week and Broxburn in Scotland,just getting ready to leave Scotland again for Malton,Hull and Barnsley,
Folks have got to eat so the wheels must keep turning,
Stay healthy and safe everyone.
Truckers and other distribution workers are definitely going to be hero's though this.

Thank you for your service bud!!!

Stay safe everyone; this is something we've never seen the likes of before and may never see again... Or it could be that unfortunately, we're getting that populated now, things like this could become more common (bloody hope not)!

2 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Stay safe everyone; this is something we've never seen the likes of before and may never see again... Or it could be that unfortunately, we're getting that populated now, things like this could become more common (bloody hope not)!

Hopefully it won't be severe, but I'm sure we have plenty of members here that recall the Hong Kong flu in 68/69 that killed up to 80,000 in the UK.

Perhaps all the media hype and sensationalism is justified in order to avoid a recurrence of that. 

Keep washing those hands. :D

Keliuss 

As many have said, interesting times.

I work in IT, so we have been very busy ensuring the people who need to work from home have the ability to do so - other project work still continues but at a slower rate.

People are in a much worse situation and have lost family members, so im not one to complain - however I have had to cancel my stag do next month (small driving trip around europe) and the wedding now has a question mark over it.

We have wedding insurance, I have read through the small print which doesnt sound like there are any loopholes, however Im a little reluctant to start paying up for everything if theres a chance it may not even happen.

I work for a global company, and our Offices and warehouse in the East shut down early doors. They seem to be getting back to normality. In EMEA we are now all working from home - our Italian offices have been doing so for 3 weeks or so. Our NA office is going to follow suit shortly. 

I am fortunate to work at a place where we can work remotely and not lose any wages etc, and the company is still making sales (until/if the warehouse closes). 

Being sensible is the key to 'surviving' this. 

Stay safe all 

Appreciate it's a global issue but I'm kind off peed off with the reaction of people and the greed there is in western society.  

I'm astounded at the levels of stupidity with people stock piling and emptying the shelves, FFS if they bought what they need normally they wouldn't create the issues for others.... I do one main shop about every 6 weeks and top up occasionally with bits as I go along... 

Locally we have a green grocers, a butchers and a bakers with the latter baking bread 6 days a week...and I have 2 litres of milk delivered each Tuesday morning so I can get along and I don't plan on being a lemming and scouring the supermarkets for stuff I don't actually need....

I feel this country is full of feckwitts - I still don't understand the craze for buying bog roll... Corona virus doesn't give you the shits, you don't have a snotty nose so what do they think they need it for....?  if push comes to shove use a flannel to wipe your backside...

The people that will suffer are the elderly, those without transport and those who have underlying health issues... personally I just cancelled a dinner party for this weekend as one of the guests had breast cancer last year and was still going through radiotherapy up to Xmas so her immune system may not be at it's best. Another guest is a 2ndry school teacher and another a university lecturer both of whom come in to contact with a lot of students. On this basis I decided to cancel so as to minimize risk.

Selfishly I'm hoping it will eff off quickly and won't linger as I have a flight booked in May for a trip to Turkey , thankfully I hadn't booked a return flight as yet, normally I book the return flight about 48 hours before I come back as you can get some excellent deals if you don't mind which airport you get back to (within reason) ....

Last week I booked a trip to Gdansk for the end of June.... (with the money I got back from hotel I stayed at in Amsterdam a couple weeks back... :) ) so this crap better get sorted soon....

I'll be honest we have a few more tins and bits and pieces in than we usually might but tend to do smaller regular shops anyway.

Plan to carry on as before but with a little more now in reserve than we might otherwise carry.

Nothing we wouldn't ordinarily use though.

I was outraged though Morrison's was out of creme freche, tonic water and extra virgin olive oil. Oh the Humanity!