marko530d

What do you like about you 5 series.

Never found a need to use limit...unless I am missing something?
If you press the speed switch partly up/down it'll increase/decrease the speed by 1mph.

If you push it further up/down it'll increase/decrease the speed by 5mph.

If you hold it up/down it'll increase/decrease the speed continuously until you let go.

Having previously only driven cars with a cable connecting the gas pedal to the throttle body, it's still a novelty for me to be able to control the speed this way.

I also find the cruise control easier and more efficient on all the 50mph sections that are around on motorways at the moment.

Sent from my COL-L29 using Tapatalk

On 3/15/2020 at 9:52 PM, cableguy said:

My first f11 after owning e34, e39 & e60's. Still have two e34's for that old school analogue feel. ;)

I waited and bought the highest spec'd car in Petrol 535i guise and like the following:

Adaptive LED Headlights with High Beam Assist. Unbelievable down a country lane with oncoming traffic.

Air Cooled Comfort Seats with Oscillating Bases. You need to try them to appreciate them.

Head Up Display with Speed Limit Option. Excellent for keeping your eyes on the road and great for changing radio stations too.

Surround View Camera's. Makes tight parking a doddle.

Variable Damping Control. Comfort+ is great on local pot hole ridden roads and Sport/Sport+ awesome on the motorway and fast sweeping A & B roads.

Heated Steering Wheel. A god send on weekends after watching from the side lines at my sons Sunday League football.

Panoramic Roof. Brightens the dark Sport cabin on a gloomy day.

Soft Close Doors. My first car with this option and they're bloody fantastic. It's great just gently clicking the door and then letting the solenoids do the rest.

Alcantara Headlining. Quality and really gives the cabin a luxury feel over the standard perforated black rubbish.

Engine & gearbox. Motor is a peach, refined & quiet which works effortlessly with the ZF 8 Speed Sports Box.

C.

That is a fabulous spec! I'm jealous. Things I've always wanted in a car but never had include soft close doors (I did have a 7er with a soft close boot but it's not the same...) and cooled massage seats.  

I had to buy mine in a bit of a hurry and my three must-haves were folding rear seats, pro nav and a reversing camera. Small potatoes!

8 hours ago, alandavidhenry said:

If you press the speed switch partly up/down it'll increase/decrease the speed by 1mph.

If you hold it up/down it'll increase/decrease the speed continuously until you let go.

Having previously only driven cars with a cable connecting the gas pedal to the throttle body, it's still a novelty for me to be able to control the speed this way.

I also find the cruise control easier and more efficient on all the 50mph sections that are around on motorways at the moment.

I use limit all the time. Lots of 30 and 40 and mobile vans. I find it a useful feature.

11 hours ago, Craig David said:

That is a fabulous spec! I'm jealous. Things I've always wanted in a car but never had include soft close doors (I did have a 7er with a soft close boot but it's not the same...) and cooled massage seats.  

I had to buy mine in a bit of a hurry and my three must-haves were folding rear seats, pro nav and a reversing camera. Small potatoes!

Cheers, yes it's quite a spec and compared with a few others I viewed, it's on another level quality wise. It also has rear climate, heated rear seats, ceramic finish to all touch controls, digital cockpit, park assist, pro nav, harmon kardon with logic 7, comfort access etc. ;)

C.

For me it's just the fact the car is effortless at everything you throw at it, be a long motorway cruise, a back road blast or carting the family and all their gubbins on holiday. It is complete. I will buy another one next year, but this time I will go for the 530d as I do miss having 6 cylinders and my mileage had fallen a lot over the past year meaning fuel economy is not the consideration it once was.

16 hours ago, alandavidhenry said:

Thats a good description of the operation of the cruise control (which I use all the time) but I was referring to the limit switch which simply stops you going over the set speed.

The advantages (to me) of limit over cruise are these:

- doesn’t use the brakes

- doesn’t disengage if you touch the brakes

- can enable running at the set speed by leaving your foot lightly on the throttle

- enables you to run according to traffic conditions within the set speed

Against that, cruise determinedly sticks to the set speed using the brakes if necessary and disengages if you need to slow down briefly. It’s only advantage (to me) is that unlike limit it enables you to override it to (say) overtake.

1 hour ago, bmwmike said:

I like limit too.  Set to 53mph in the average speed zone with foot on the floor.  Soon as the last gantry cam is passed press LIM and whoooooosh off you go. Haha. 

Yes this ^^^^ 

Edited by marko530d

I have a bog standard 520d se LCI with Pro nav, I've retrofitted reverse camera, speed limit display, 6wb and enhanced Bluetooth..

The 120,000 miles I've done in 4yrs and 1month have been totally effortless. 

Car has not wanted for anything besides regular 10k oil changes, usual servicing, a battery, some bushes for the diff and its seals, engine and gearbox mounts and a few guibos.

Returns good mpg if driven sensibly, capable of overtaking/going a little faster with ease

The lim function in speed limited areas such as average speed limit areas has been a godsend

The gearbox just...works. no delays, coughs or hiccups, it just...works!

And in my own opinion, I think it's quite a looker too, especially when clean and it has a certain road presence. 

Next car will likely be a late model f10 or a g31 LCI which I'll hang onto for 4-5 years or 150k miles, whichever comes first

I just switched to a 520d M sport LCI from a basic 530d M Sport E60 Manual. I absolutely love it, looks great and the below features that are new to me:

Full-screen Idrive with Harman Kardon system, no need to add a subwoofer in the boot.
My first Automatic gearbox, 8 speed with paddle shift, so smooth and sounds nice!
6WB digital dash that makes the car look so modern. I rarely need to look at the idrive, even the satnav directions show up on it.
My first car with xenons and LED DRL. It also has adaptive/cornering headlights.
Independent passenger/driver heating. No more wife moaning it's too cold!

I thought downgrading from a 6 cylinder to 4 cylinders I would lose the fun in driving however the B47 2L engine has plenty of power when i need it. Also i'm saving on fuel and £240 road tax every year. I won't be driving this one like I stole it just because I plan to keep it for many years. Its all i need apart from missing a reversing camera. I paid almost the same price for my E60 12 years ago with hardly any options. I'll be happy to keep this for 10 years.

520d.jpg

I just love everything about mine.

M sport 66 520d. No particular major upgrades. Probably just the pro nav and speaker upgrades.

I bought the rubber mats all round and for the boot.

In 19 inch wheels and space Gray metallic it looks like the best car in the car park. Period.

Adaptive Cruise Control is really nice on the motorway - I didn't realise the car, F11 530d, had it until I was driving it home from London.

Adaptive dampers and Dynamic Drive (active roll bars) - Although in two years of ownership I've not been brave enough to fully test the system - it's just too much of a lovely big car to get it wrong in at speed :)

Auto gearbox is an absolute delight and have found out that pushing the lever left for 'Drive Sport' makes for a nice middle ground between relaxed driver and all that torque/power on tap without the banzi balls out (but very engaging!) Sport/+ mode.

It's specced with the 4 Zone Climate Control which saves any arguments about heating/cooling for individual passengers...

Overall really just echoing what has been said above - such a capable, comfy, handsome, classy, sporty, powerful and accomplished piece of engineering.

Bmw 535d pre Lci

1. Love the engine

2. Sports memory seats( would love comfort,but hard to find)

3. HUD very nice,very used to it now

4. Adaptive drive. Very nice feature,but need to get rid of those run flats

5. Adaptive headlights with high beam assist.

6. Hi Fi sound system

7. Sport auto,i only give it 4 out 5,not so impressed with it after owning audi a6 c7 3.0tdi quattro with s tronic dct box in it. Would like to try lci f11 and see how box works in those.

8. Space grey paint.

2015 LCI 520d F11 Touring

1. love the Adaptive LED headlights. Watching the beam change shape to avoid oncoming cars is like some endlessly entertaining witchcraft

2. like others have said, I love the effortless ability to be simultaneously well made, handsome, large and handsomely good looking (even though the M sport looks better than the Lux) and soak up everything that a family of four + 2 dogs can throw at it.

3. The infotainment still feels very modern and is light years ahead of the poor system I had in my 2015 C Class and even the CarPlay equipped Outlander I had before the 5.

4. As others have mentioned, I like the set and forget climate control. It never seems to go crazy like some systems do.

5. Lastly I like the fact that the Connect Drive features still make it feel quite new - the weather app permanently occupies the extended screen!

As an aside, I have the comfort seats on mine but can’t help but feel I’m not making the most of the range of adjustments because whilst they are undoubtedly comfortable, they don’t feel *that* special to me. I must be missing something because everyone seems to say how good they are?

98B32161-D05E-42FB-BBA4-38AC67946D50.jpeg