Jump to content
marko530d

What do you like about you 5 series.

Recommended Posts

Hi guys alot of broken this and faulty that, but what do you enjoy/like about your 5er. ? 

 

525d 3.0d msport saloon. 

 

My Top 5.

 

1. Sports auto transmission.

2. Auto handbrake. 

3. Power boot.

4. Adaptive headlights/high beam assist.

5. Heated front & rear Seats.

 

:rolleyes:.......

Edited by marko530d

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BMW 530d Touring

1. Space (managed to move the contents of my garage in three journeys).

2. Fuel economy (amazing for a 330bhp 3.0 litre engine.

3. Super smooth automatic gearbox.

4. Very comfortable electric seats.

5. Electric fan heater and heated seats (having immediate hot air in winter is lovely).

Sent from my COL-L29 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Simply the fact that there isn't another car which does what the 5 series as a complete package. I'm on my 5th. 2 E39's (523 and a 530i Aegean) and 2 E60 530i's and now an F10 530d. Every time I've looked at other options (A6's etc) and every time I stick with the 5. I do miss my petrol though.......so next is a 540i!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Memory Comfort Seats

Ability to average over 50mpg in a big heavy estate

Long distance comfort

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, marko530d said:

Is that standard @alandavidhenry

never noticed on my 2011. 

 

The diesel cars have this electric heater matrix feature as diesels take longer than petrol to get up to temperature. 

Edited by Matthew Ashton

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The thing with the 5 series is it is one of the few cars that's whole is greater than the sum of its parts. 

 

There are other cars that do certain things better, but not yet come across one that is truly better. 

 

 

I love them. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

F11 LCI 530d

 

Effortless overtaking

Variable Damping Control

General quality of the interior

Big solid car which seems to get lighter when you decide to hurl it at corners on open mountain roads

Loading up the back with heavy things knowing the air suspension will adjust accordingly

Electric tailgate (Never knew I needed one til I bought this car)

ZF8HP gearbox (Never knew I needed one til I bought this car)

Set and forget HVAC system - It just keeps things nice and comfortable. I never need to touch it

It smells nice inside

 

11 hours ago, marko530d said:

4. Adaptive headlights/high beam assist.

 

Mrs CP has these on her F20. I quite like the F20, not as much as I like mine but I'm rather envious of her headlights and it's really the only thing I'd really like to have added to my car... Maybe comfort seats, adaptive drive... No I'm happy the way it is :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My first f11 after owning e34, e39 & e60's. Still have two e34's for that old school analogue feel. ;)

 

I waited and bought the highest spec'd car in Petrol 535i guise and like the following:

 

Adaptive LED Headlights with High Beam Assist. Unbelievable down a country lane with oncoming traffic.

Air Cooled Comfort Seats with Oscillating Bases. You need to try them to appreciate them.

Head Up Display with Speed Limit Option. Excellent for keeping your eyes on the road and great for changing radio stations too.

Surround View Camera's. Makes tight parking a doddle.

Variable Damping Control. Comfort+ is great on local pot hole ridden roads and Sport/Sport+ awesome on the motorway and fast sweeping A & B roads.

Heated Steering Wheel. A god send on weekends after watching from the side lines at my sons Sunday League football.

Panoramic Roof. Brightens the dark Sport cabin on a gloomy day.

Soft Close Doors. My first car with this option and they're bloody fantastic. It's great just gently clicking the door and then letting the solenoids do the rest.

Alcantara Headlining. Quality and really gives the cabin a luxury feel over the standard perforated black rubbish.

Engine & gearbox. Motor is a peach, refined & quiet which works effortlessly with the ZF 8 Speed Sports Box.

 

C.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fast (enough) but effortless low down torque and so smooth too. And reasonable economy.

Comfy and quiet but also handles well.

Mature looks but still sharp with a good stance yet not ostentatious  - and I'm pleased with the way I've Barry'd my one up too!

The gearbox is a like a slick street magician with a deck of cards.

Decent stereo.

The traction control doesn't kick in too early and you can slide it about a bit - but it saves you before things get too out of hand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, cableguy said:

My first f11 after owning e34, e39 & e60's. Still have two e34's for that old school analogue feel. ;)

 

I waited and bought the highest spec'd car in Petrol 535i guise and like the following:

 

Adaptive LED Headlights with High Beam Assist. Unbelievable down a country lane with oncoming traffic.

Air Cooled Comfort Seats with Oscillating Bases. You need to try them to appreciate them.

Head Up Display with Speed Limit Option. Excellent for keeping your eyes on the road and great for changing radio stations too.

Surround View Camera's. Makes tight parking a doddle.

Variable Damping Control. Comfort+ is great on local pot hole ridden roads and Sport/Sport+ awesome on the motorway and fast sweeping A & B roads.

Heated Steering Wheel. A god send on weekends after watching from the side lines at my sons Sunday League football.

Panoramic Roof. Brightens the dark Sport cabin on a gloomy day.

Soft Close Doors. My first car with this option and they're bloody fantastic. It's great just gently clicking the door and then letting the solenoids do the rest.

Alcantara Headlining. Quality and really gives the cabin a luxury feel over the standard perforated black rubbish.

Engine & gearbox. Motor is a peach, refined & quiet which works effortlessly with the ZF 8 Speed Sports Box.

 

C.

 

 

My word, I thought mine was well-specc’d!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. Comfort seats. Amazing things!

2. The power (275bhp currently)

3. The space incl load carrying ability

4. Panoramic roof

5. That ZF 8HP autobox

6. Power bootlid

7. The colour (Tiefseeblau Metallic)

8. The retracting load area cover 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, alandavidhenry said:

I only recently discovered that feature. Also discovered that it'll brake too e.g. if I quickly press it 4 times it'll brake from 70mph to 50mph.

 

Yes, cruise does that. An easy way to worsen fuel consumption and reduce (rear) brake life and not one of my favourite features. Limit doesn’t (and is).

Edited by Boba

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the biggest way to shorten rear brake life is to constantly engage traction control (or rather, cause it to engage). I don't think the active cruise control does much differently to 'normal' braking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, BFleming said:

I think the biggest way to shorten rear brake life is to constantly engage traction control (or rather, cause it to engage). I don't think the active cruise control does much differently to 'normal' braking.


Yes, I think you’re right, cruise control is rather like normal braking (aside from only using the rear brakes). The difference is that it brakes at a bit over the set speed where a normal driver would just allow the car to over speed a little (or at least I would, unless it’s a really steep hill I usually just put up with a bit of over speeding) and just wait for it to slow down naturally.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The fact that its one of only forty on the road.  https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/vehicle/bmw_535i_m_sport_turbo_auto

 

 

 

Coz naebody wanted them......  My last Merc was apparently one of 4 (in year 15 in total)

 

https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/vehicle/mercedes_c_250_sport_premium_d_4matic_a#!manufacture

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/15/2020 at 7:01 PM, gIzzE said:

The thing with the 5 series is it is one of the few cars that's whole is greater than the sum of its parts. 

 

There are other cars that do certain things better, but not yet come across one that is truly better. 

 

 

I love them. 

 

 

This.  Just been on a lads walking holiday in the lakes and my mate said "Such a great do everything car"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, alandavidhenry said:

if I quickly press it 4 times it'll brake from 70mph to 50mph

What do you actually press?

6 hours ago, Boba said:

Limit doesn’t (and is).

Never found a need to use limit...unless I am missing something?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×