The Spooner

That BMW smell...

Here’s a weird one - thanks to the mrs taking the car to the local money launderers - I mean car wash - and them putting in a godawful air freshener, plus a slight damp problem, my E34 has lost its BMW/crayon smell. Any tips on getting it back? Should I just leave a pack of crayons in it? I suspect I’m the first person who wants that smell back...

LOL. I'm afraid I can't help with olfactory retrieval methodology at all. Hopefully whatever crap they used wears off and the underlying odour resurfaces. My six year old likes getting into the E34 because he likes the smell inside. Neither of us are sure what it is exactly but "BMW/crayon smell" probably sums it up. :lol:

Keliuss

Edited by Keliuss

I figured it was going to be that "Oil on exhaust manifold" smell.

22 hours ago, Keliuss said:

LOL. I'm afraid I can't help with olfactory retrieval methodology at all. Hopefully whatever crap they used wears off and the underlying odour resurfaces. My six year old likes getting into the E34 because he likes the smell inside. Neither of us are sure what it is was exactly but "BMW/crayon smell" probably sums it up. :lol:

Keliuss

My grandad used to have an E36 325 TDS and that had the same smell, so it was nice because it took me back to my childhood, soppy bastard that I am

You're not the only one who likes "that old BMW" smell...

I loved it in my E30 and couldn't get enough of it, especially on a hot day or early in the morning on a cold day. The E34 smells slightly different, but I still like it.

I've always wondered if the smell could somehow be replicated and produced as an air freshener? I wouldn't be surprised if there was a high demand for this kind of thing among modern classic BMW owners...

I would say this only applies up to E30/E32/E34/E36 models....Anything after that smells completely different, nothing special really.

Ha I’m glad it’s not just me... I googled it and most people (Americans mostly) were trying to get rid of it! You’re right, if it could be sold as an air freshener I’d be all on it. My E39 doesn’t smell of it, but oddly my uncles old 2012 640d smelt of it, slightly different but unmistakenly BMW...