Wivenhoe

530e Replacement Battery Cost

I came across a forum post (in Malaysia) whilst trying to find out the replacement costs of the plug-in battery cost. I was intrigued that the battery warranty guarantees a depletion of no more than 25% at 6 years or 60k and they don’t say the whole battery is replaced. I found out why - the battery is modular as the Malaysian post confirms. The guy posted his findings in Feb 2019 and I have converted the Malaysian Ringgits to £’s as a guide, probably in the U.K. we’ll get charged more !

We contacted BMW Malaysia to find out the cost to replace their hybrid batteries as they sold the most PHEV’s in the past few years. The BMW 330e, The 530e and the X5e. Thankfully, it is not as scary as we imagined and we want to share this information with you for you to have a peace of mind (if you own a BMW PHEV) and share with your friends who own a BMW PHEV.
All BMW PHEV vehicles get a 6-year or 100,000 km warranty and the BMW i8 supercar enjoys a 8-year or 100,000 km warranty.
The BMW PHEV battery is a modular battery system and so the cost of one battery module is £ 1,337 and depending on which BMW PHEV you drive, they have 5-6 modules in one battery pack. So, you are looking at a total replacement cost of between £ 6,686 to £ 8,023 if you need a complete battery change. Labour costs at any BMW authorized service center is £ 210 for one module change and for the 3-Series and 5-Series it is just £ 238

I suppose my thoughts on this are £8023 for a complete replacement of a component which offers you ~16 to ~31 miles of range depending on year is still pretty steep however it's unlikely the original owner will keep the car for 6 years I'm guessing? But it's definitely a problem for the 2nd or 3rd owner and beyond

Thanks for sharing that. Presumably costs may decrease over time as PHEV become more common and there is an opportunity for non OEM players to enter the market. I'm thinking in a similar way to catalytic converters

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Taxboy said:

Thanks for sharing that. Presumably costs may decrease over time as PHEV become more common and there is an opportunity for non OEM players to enter the market. I'm thinking in a similar way to catalytic converters

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

I suppose so, but Lithium batteries are inherently expensive and I’d think the market for individual car types will still be quite small compared with for instance vacuum cleaners or such where non-OEM are still pretty rare 10+ years on.

Edited by Boba

I was relieved to find that the batteries are modular - as BMW are warranting against more than 25% depletion then they seem confident that only 1 or 2 would need replacing up to 6 years. I have read reports that the expected battery life is 100k+ miles but that is unclear whether they mean the car doing 100k+ miles on engine + motor or just electric miles travelled. 

On 12/03/2020 at 09:14, CFD said:

I suppose my thoughts on this are £8023 for a complete replacement of a component which offers you ~16 to ~31 miles of range depending on year is still pretty steep however it's unlikely the original owner will keep the car for 6 years I'm guessing? But it's definitely a problem for the 2nd or 3rd owner and beyond

or indded a problem for original owner when 2nd owner wants extra 000's taken off for battery depreciation

On 12/03/2020 at 21:09, Wivenhoe said:

I was relieved to find that the batteries are modular - as BMW are warranting against more than 25% depletion then they seem confident that only 1 or 2 would need replacing up to 6 years. I have read reports that the expected battery life is 100k+ miles but that is unclear whether they mean the car doing 100k+ miles on engine + motor or just electric miles travelled. 

100k km is nothing over 6 years