Daveh65

Dpf replacement?

Ista is showing a 244800 fault which won’t clear , is the life of the DPF over ? Is a replacement in the cards or can it be cleaned ?

18 minutes ago, Daveh65 said:

I’ve seen something similar before , got to be worth a go ! 

Definitely... he looks a bit crazy but he seems to know his stuff.... 

Edited by marko530d

1 hour ago, marko530d said:

Definitely... he looks a bit crazy but he seems to know his stuff.... 

Seen this video before i think its that 2 camera angles makes it a bit weird. Thats exactly what i plan to do if i keep the f10 till its full.

This is what's done on hgv's at a lot of garages. My brother (works at a hgv garage) suggested doing this with mine when the time comes, and i think i will. As said above, i assume it will have to dry out before refitting!

BMW set the "lifetime" as 150k miles or something, maybe 200k, and the car says the lifetime is up, change it, even if there is still plenty of life left in it. Not familiar with the error code but it's not unknown for members here in the E60 section to reset the DPF in ISTA without actually touching the DPF. This would be coupled with the knowledge that it is actually performing and not regenerating too frequently, back- pressures are as expected etc. 

Reset DPF to new - good for another 50k miles maybe.

Keliuss

I’ve done a forced regen this afternoon, checked with ista when I got to work and it’s says the dpf soot mass is 2.0g ? A quick google says it’s ok ? But still can’t clear the fault code , so I’ve set it do another forced regen for the return trip , then I’ll check it tomorrow, saw an ad for a Dr carbon clean in the midlands, seems to be a franchise but only charge £89! Loads of 5 star reviews, hopefully genuine , so he might be a call at some point , got no dash errors thought , only an ista error

I have this code and has been showing for the last 10k. I use Carly but cany reset or clear the code.

Edit* ,the battery was replaced and fault still present

Screenshot_20190409-145812_Drive.thumb.jpg.c86db439804a234ef475bb7a4b83ece2.jpg

Edited by Bigcarman79

You can ignore the error. Consider it a note to bring your car to BMW so you can bend over and get shafted for a new DPF. Forcing regens won't do anything to clear it, as it's a mileage based error.  Carbon cleaning is generally intake side of engine so don't think that will do anything for it, unless they do DPF cleaning also.

Do the backpressure test in ISTA and you'll get an idea of how healthy your DPF is. ISTA will show you the limits. Soot mass readings are estimated from backpressure readings. Ideally soot mass goes from zero (after a good regen) up to about 40-45g after approx 500-1000km depending on driving style/conditions. Then it does a regen again and soot goes back to zero.

Keliuss

1 hour ago, Bigcarman79 said:

I have this code and has been showing for the last 10k. I use Carly but cany reset or clear the code.

I have the same glow plug code, but dont know what it is nor can find anything on the net about it

10 hours ago, Bigcarman79 said:

Did you register the battery exchange?

I had the same 2 codes, changed battery, only the dpf one is persisting, need to get around to either getting it cleaned or whether it accelerates my decision to change the car

I’ve also got a battery fault , saying it needs to be replaced or is faulty , and is there any reason why the dpf fault cant be deleted?? 

50 minutes ago, Daveh65 said:

is there any reason why the dpf fault cant be deleted?? 

It can be deleted, but...

18 hours ago, Keliuss said:

it's a mileage based error

As explained, to delete the error you install a new DPF and reset it via ISTA. Or you just reset it without touching the DPF.

Keliuss

So if I go into ista and register the dpf as new I will then be able to delete the error ? I’ll check the back pressure later today and see what that is, other wise the car is running well and no physical dpf issues 

11 hours ago, apples12 said:

Did you register the battery exchange?

I had the same 2 codes, changed battery, only the dpf one is persisting, need to get around to either getting it cleaned or whether it accelerates my decision to change the car

Yes i did register the battery. Im assuming a glowplug is on its way out but cant seem to find any info on said fault.

18 hours ago, Daveh65 said:

So if I go into ista and register the dpf as new I will then be able to delete the error ? I’ll check the back pressure later today and see what that is, other wise the car is running well and no physical dpf issues 

Correct. It's just a counter. Personally I wouldn't bother unless I had a reason. It's just a warning of "close to end of life". As said, the filters can sometimes last well beyond their end of life though.  I did reset mine a while back as I had a problem with a leaking gasket between turbo and DPF. I went to replace it and realised (too late) that the clamp breaks on removal. I had to clamp it up as best as possible but knew the car would be doing a regen before I could get a new clamp and I didn't want it doing a regen as this would be a fire risk. Easiest way I could think of preventing the regen was to reset the DPF to new. It bought me a few days and regen behaviour is identical to before.

Keliuss