The Spooner

Bulkhead drains

Can anyone point me in the direction of these? I was doing the pollen filter yesterday and noticed rusty stains (so reckon the bulkhead is rusty - balls) and I’ve been having water ingress on the carpet. Before I go ripping things apart does anyone have a picture or something of their location or what I need/don’t need to strip out to get to them? Thanks in advance! It’s a 1995 520i if that makes any difference. 

HI 

The drains are behind the plastic trim that are fixed to the bulkhead under the front arches … There are two drains per side.

The rust/rot normally reaches into the corner where the bulkhead meets the A post.

It's best to remove the front carpet and inspect the whole area … It's getting common now :ph34r:

Our 540 (TBL) had the same issues and the Nugget also :D  

Edit. Give above the pedals a good check and does your E34 have a sunroof ?

Edited by Carl-e34

Thanks Carl, Pedals seem alright and it's a non sunroof model. The front of the sills had some work last year and the A-pillar was inspected at the time.

I'll check the drains when I get chance this weekend, are there none under the wiper scuttle? It was in the centre of the car I noticed the rusty/wet stains and in heavy rain I had noticed water dribbling out of the pollen filter area onto the driver's carpet (water, not coolant). 

1 hour ago, The Spooner said:

Thanks Carl, Pedals seem alright and it's a non sunroof model. The front of the sills had some work last year and the A-pillar was inspected at the time.

I'll check the drains when I get chance this weekend, are there none under the wiper scuttle? It was in the centre of the car I noticed the rusty/wet stains and in heavy rain I had noticed water dribbling out of the pollen filter area onto the driver's carpet (water, not coolant). 

They do also rust behind the heater unit .. Which results in the heater unit seal being broken and allowing in water.

Normally the wiper scuttle is unaffected It's just the bulkhead below the join in the bodywork that is toast ...   

Once the plastic bulkhead trim is removed you can check with a toffee hammer (normally you can see the bubbles under the stone guard. 

I suspect that's where it's gone then! I'll have to have a little poke around and see what exactly is going on...