Sign in to follow this  
Daveyboy20

Lowering an M Sport

Hi guys - I have a 530d M Sport. Am I right in thinking this is about 25mm lower than standard? 

So if I chose these springs then the drop won't be the stated 40mm it'll be more like 15mm?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232565545406

1 hour ago, Daveyboy20 said:

Hi guys - I have a 530d M Sport. Am I right in thinking this is about 25mm lower than standard? 

So if I chose these springs then the drop won't be the stated 40mm it'll be more like 15mm?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232565545406

What Paddy is trying to say is that the E39 is just a Sport, not an M Sport; that was the E60 range upwards here in the UK ;)

Anyways...

LOTS of folk have lowered their E39 530D Sport; either lowering springs (Eibach pro-kit, sportline or H&R springs are the usual culprits) and the ones to go for really as they're progressive springs and will ride much better than any cheap springs.

OR go for coilovers (D2,s BCs, Bilstein, KW etc)

What's your budget @Daveyboy20 and how good is your current suspension (ie are the shocks in good fettle with no leaks and the suspension arms/bushes/drop links/ball joints all in good order also); lowering your car will put more strain on these and if they're old and worn, they'll fail quickly after lowering the car etc

FYI this is my touring on OEM Sachs Sport spec shocks and Eibach pro-kit springs up front (the rear is on OEM SLS); this shows you the ride height drop on a Sport up front:

sideonandsettled.jpg

On 06/03/2020 at 08:37, d_a_n1979 said:

FYI this is my touring on OEM Sachs Sport spec shocks and Eibach pro-kit springs up front (the rear is on OEM SLS); this shows you the ride height drop on a Sport up front:

sideonandsettled.jpg

Those wheels do look lovely Dan, you’re going back to them shortly now right?

As for lowering I can never quite decide if I prefer the even gap you all round the front arch with the normal Sport ride hight or having it sat a bit lower...

58 minutes ago, Andyrt200 said:

Those wheels do look lovely Dan, you’re going back to them shortly now right?

As for lowering I can never quite decide if I prefer the even gap you all round the front arch with the normal Sport ride hight or having it sat a bit lower...

They've gone pal; sold them last November ;) I do like 37s, but I'm in the small boat of folk that think they're not all that... 

The replacements are sat in the garage waiting to go on once the cars back from the body shop ;) 

I've always lowered my cars; this time I've stuck with OEM rear SLS and Sachs Sport shocks all round with Eibach pro-kit springs up front, 15mm lower than OEM and low enough for me due to various speed humps I've to creep over without getting beached/scraping the sills etc. For me, I get that bit more lower but with a fairly even arch gap all round

Thanks guys - appreciate the input. I've decided to fit Apex lowering springs as they're not cheapo ebay ones and just about in my budget.  I've chosen -50mm on the assumption that it'll probably lower it for 25mm due to the fact it's a Sport.