83C

F10 TMS Module Issues

Has anyone had any ongoing issues with their halogen headlight TMS modules failing, knocking out the angel eyes and dipped beam control?

The genuine Lear TMS in my offside headlamp slowly failed in my 2010 F10 when I bought it back in 2018, eventually I pulled my finger out and bought a pattern part off Amazon with the same part number. Two months after fitting this one has failed too. I swapped it with the genuine Lear TMS module from the nearside headlamp, and sure enough the sidelight fault swapped sides too, confirming its a module fault. The replacement failed last week during a massive downpour, but I can't see any cover panels loose or any way for water to get in. 

Before I go and blow more money on this fault, anyone experienced this or got any advice?

Thanks in advance.

Have you removed the module to check for any corrosion on the pcb pins/contact area?  If corrosion is present you can try some electrical cleaner, but from my experience that will buy you another few months before needing to replace the module again. 

I had this happen a few times on my drivers side lights, buying a new TMS module made no difference  at this point and it was going to fail it's MOT. Unfortunately i had to buy a whole new Hella light cluster that came with a new TMS module also - since then no issues. 

I need to change both TMS units but struggling to access the inner-most torx screw.  There isn't enough room between the inner arch and screw to get the torx key in there .

Any tips  / suggestions on how to swap? 

Take the nosecone off (actually quite easy) then remove each headlamp unit and do what you need to easily. In the end it'll probably take about as long as trying to faff about through tiny hatches and ripping your knuckles apart.

They are a pain without removing the wheel/lights themselves.

I had a flexible screwdriver in the garage which was given to me as an xmas gift ages ago, what do you know it worked!! 

screw.jpg

Happy ending alert! 

Quick recap: I got a "headlight vertical  aim control failure" error.  This appeared immediately after car was at main dealer for a recall so was sent back to them to check. as I'd assumed they had triggered this.   They investigated and explained that, as the caps on the back of the headlight units has not been refitted properly (and subsequently dropped allowing moisture / water into the headlight units) both headlights and modules needing replacing.   The mic drop moment was the £2k they quoted to resolve (approx 25% of the car's value!) :o

More than a little down-beat I spent a bit of time researching a more cost-effective solution including the good folks here. 

This led me to amazon where I found these https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0796L6GHZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1  2 units (one for each headlight) came to a very reasonable £70.

Lock-down brought some much needed extra time (lock down and completing a house extension are not a good mix :( ) so bumper was removed as I could not access one of the torx fixings with it in place.    

The result was a clearing of the error and a saving of nearly £2k.  I haven't replaced the lights as, having inspected them, apart from tarnishing of the reflective coating visible from the rear, they still function as before and look fine from the front.  I appreciate that over time they may deteriorate but happy to take that chance. 

The other observation relates to the caps providing access to the headlight bulbs; I'd assumed it was more poor refitting of these that caused the initial problem.  When I first tried to change the TMS modules, not long after getting car back from dealer, one was again hanging off so seems the dealer can't replace them properly either suggesting a design issue.  On that basis, I'd suggest a periodic checking of the headlight cap might be worth doing :) .   

image.png.79ae09378f62b2dc08dc0dee581b8c71.png

On 16/06/2020 at 08:12, 535i Andrew said:

Amazing the amounts you can save by having a bash yourself.

Why such a big price from BMW?  Presumably they want funny money for the modules?

Can't quite remember the breakdown now - something like £450 per TMS module and similar for each headlight. 

To be fair, the service desk guy looks pretty embarrassed when he gave me the quote.  

On 6/16/2020 at 7:08 AM, cabby said:

Happy ending alert! 

Quick recap: I got a "headlight vertical  aim control failure" error.  This appeared immediately after car was at main dealer for a recall so was sent back to them to check. as I'd assumed they had triggered this.   They investigated and explained that, as the caps on the back of the headlight units has not been refitted properly (and subsequently dropped allowing moisture / water into the headlight units) both headlights and modules needing replacing.   The mic drop moment was the £2k they quoted to resolve (approx 25% of the car's value!) :o

More than a little down-beat I spent a bit of time researching a more cost-effective solution including the good folks here. 

This led me to amazon where I found these https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0796L6GHZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1  2 units (one for each headlight) came to a very reasonable £70.

Lock-down brought some much needed extra time (lock down and completing a house extension are not a good mix :( ) so bumper was removed as I could not access one of the torx fixings with it in place.    

The result was a clearing of the error and a saving of nearly £2k.  I haven't replaced the lights as, having inspected them, apart from tarnishing of the reflective coating visible from the rear, they still function as before and look fine from the front.  I appreciate that over time they may deteriorate but happy to take that chance. 

The other observation relates to the caps providing access to the headlight bulbs; I'd assumed it was more poor refitting of these that caused the initial problem.  When I first tried to change the TMS modules, not long after getting car back from dealer, one was again hanging off so seems the dealer can't replace them properly either suggesting a design issue.  On that basis, I'd suggest a periodic checking of the headlight cap might be worth doing :) .   

image.png.79ae09378f62b2dc08dc0dee581b8c71.png

Hi! I bought chinese TMS module out of ebay and it doesn't clear out error codes, the angel eyes flashes when I turn them on, and switches off only after about 30 sec, not like the OEM switches off instantly, however they light up but I'm worried as I might fail MOT because of this. How are those you got? Working fine? No errors?

Edited by Rimvyz

I had this issue,  i had also replaced the TMS module / cleaned the contacts with electrical cleaner and issues were still present due to corrosion on the connections. 

I had to replace the whole light cluster/have it coded in the end to pass it's MOT.

18 minutes ago, roundy said:

I had this issue,  i had also replaced the TMS module / cleaned the contacts with electrical cleaner and issues were still present due to corrosion on the connections. 

I had to replace the whole light cluster/have it coded in the end to pass it's MOT.

My issue is in TMS module, not the headlight, as I've switched them over and issue switched to the other headlight, I just don't want to buy another TMS module before knowing if it works fine.

How old in the module? i made the mistake from buying on ebay when i had an issue with one and it was out of the warranty period which was frustrating. 

3 hours ago, roundy said:

How old in the module? i made the mistake from buying on ebay when i had an issue with one and it was out of the warranty period which was frustrating. 

Already got refund for it, and I managed to find OEM bmw TMS module on Facebook market for £45, what a bargain!B)

3 hours ago, semiloose said:

make sure to look for water damage.. fix that issue too

I had little corrosion on both TMS module connectors, cleaned them with electric contact cleaner and toothbrush, they look spotless now, time will tell how long till they get corroded again, if they won't last long I'll need to buy brand new headlights...:unsure:

On 17/06/2020 at 19:22, cabby said:

Can't quite remember the breakdown now - something like £450 per TMS module and similar for each headlight. 

To be fair, the service desk guy looks pretty embarrassed when he gave me the quote.  

Found the quote tonight - would have cost £2,389 from main dealer :( - very happy I managed to find a solution for 3% of that price.  

TMS.JPG