Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hi folks

As you will have gathered from my post last year our 523i had been fitted with a sports twin pipe rear exhaust section by a previous owner & although this sounds sweet on acceleration I've had enough of the background drone. Yesterday's motorway trip of only 30 miles (each way) involved passing through two tunnels & the background noise made my ears hurt, so it's got to go even though the idea of renewing a perfectly good exhaust section goes against the grain :unsure:

 

Have owners of these cars been happy with standard exhaust centre replacements, or are there any particular products/outlets that I should avoid ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stand by for an avalanche of negative thoughts about Kwik Fit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LOL yes I'm aware of the pitfalls of using these outlets, though I've not experienced them myself over the years.

The alternative is to purchase a rear section online & get my local garage to fit it (no I can't do it myself. those days are over) if I had a pit maybe but ...

 

I've been browsing outlets such as On-line Car Parts where there are several alternatives listed ranging from less than £50 to over £150, dependent on the manufacturer which seems a very wide price band for such a component. Various makes are listed & I wonder if anyone can shed light on whether the high end prices actually reflect a better product quality material or sound suppression. 

 

Thanks for your reply.

Edited by Norseman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Norseman said:

LOL yes I'm aware of the pitfalls of using these outlets, though I've not experienced them myself over the years.

The alternative is to purchase a rear section online & get my local garage to fit it (no I can't do it myself. those days are over) if I had a pit maybe but ...

 

I've been browsing outlets such as On-line Car Parts where there are several alternatives listed ranging from less than £50 to over £150, dependent on the manufacturer which seems a very wide price band for such a component. Various makes are listed & I wonder if anyone can shed light on whether the high end prices actually reflect a better product quality material or sound suppression. 

 

Thanks for your reply.

 

That'd be your best bet.

 

Just use your local motorfactors and get a rear section; no needs to spend silly £££ on one, they're all very much of the same really... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You'll find a lot of E39's still have the original factory exhausts, either Eberspaecher or Boysen. 

 

I'd rather fit one of these. They were superb quality and built to last the life of the car. A secondhand exhaust is practically worthless and so would be a cheap fix even if you need to do a couple of repairs before fitting it. A mate had some comedy stainless exhaust on an E46 325i and we did just this. Found a Coupe in a breakers, dropped the complete exhaust off it, cost him 35 quid. Took it home, cleaned it up, put it on. Genuine BMW so it fitted like a glove and sounds nice. 

 

 

I had my fill of aftermarket Walker/Timax/Bosal type junk years ago. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Plus one.  My old e34 all the brackets and fixings rusted around a perfect exhaust and had to be changed.  Exhaust outlived the car.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As far as I'm aware, my first E39 (now in the good hands of @chicaneuk ) is still on its original exhaust during its 21st year!

Edited by Loadmaster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/03/2020 at 13:42, Sir Anthony Regents-Park said:

You'll find a lot of E39's still have the original factory exhausts, either Eberspaecher or Boysen. 

 

I'd rather fit one of these. They were superb quality and built to last the life of the car. A secondhand exhaust is practically worthless and so would be a cheap fix even if you need to do a couple of repairs before fitting it. A mate had some comedy stainless exhaust on an E46 325i and we did just this. Found a Coupe in a breakers, dropped the complete exhaust off it, cost him 35 quid. Took it home, cleaned it up, put it on. Genuine BMW so it fitted like a glove and sounds nice. 

 

 

I had my fill of aftermarket Walker/Timax/Bosal type junk years ago. 

 

+1 Agree. BMW OEM exhausts are very good quality. Both my e30 and e34 still have factory fitted exhaust. I've noticed with aftermarket exhaust that they are very thin steel and don't tend to last as long. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2020 at 12:42 PM, Sir Anthony Regents-Park said:

You'll find a lot of E39's still have the original factory exhausts, either Eberspaecher or Boysen. 

 

I'd rather fit one of these. They were superb quality and built to last the life of the car. A secondhand exhaust is practically worthless and so would be a cheap fix even if you need to do a couple of repairs before fitting it. A mate had some comedy stainless exhaust on an E46 325i and we did just this. Found a Coupe in a breakers, dropped the complete exhaust off it, cost him 35 quid. Took it home, cleaned it up, put it on. Genuine BMW so it fitted like a glove and sounds nice. 

I had my fill of aftermarket Walker/Timax/Bosal type junk years ago. 

 

I take your point, but I'm afraid at my age this approach is not an option.

I did notice that on Online Car Parts they list several rear boxes from a variety of manufacturers (inc. Eberspaecher) with prices ranging from under £50 to over £300, so at least there is a wide choice of  (presumably) quality.  I'll have to decide which best fits my need / finances & thank you for your advice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree with above, get a complete exhaust off a breaker. Heavy and bulky though so transport might be interesting. When I had the exhaust off mine to do some welding+ brake pipes etc. it was in mint condition and cleaned up really nicely. That was on a 14 year old car at the time. the steel wasn't magnetic so they must have used some sort of stainless steel from the factory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As the OP states; he's not in a position to be removing a used exhaust and fitting it back onto his car...

 

@Norseman - why don't you post in the BMW Cotswolds section at the top of the homepage and ask what prices they can quote you for the OEM backbox and centre pipe etc.

What about your local motorfactors as well; have you seen what they can price you up for the necessary parts 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't see what difference it makes if you're paying a garage to fit it anyway? Plenty of people breaking these cars that would be able to remove an exhaust. £30 to hire a van for a day vs a good few hundred for a BMW part.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lufbramatt said:

Don't see what difference it makes if you're paying a garage to fit it anyway? Plenty of people breaking these cars that would be able to remove an exhaust. £30 to hire a van for a day vs a good few hundred for a BMW part.

Or you might consider buying secomd hand on ebay and get it sent to you or the garage 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151754513664

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/03/2020 at 13:42, Sir Anthony Regents-Park said:

You'll find a lot of E39's still have the original factory exhausts, either Eberspaecher or Boysen. 

 

I'd rather fit one of these. They were superb quality and built to last the life of the car. A secondhand exhaust is practically worthless and so would be a cheap fix even if you need to do a couple of repairs before fitting it. A mate had some comedy stainless exhaust on an E46 325i and we did just this. Found a Coupe in a breakers, dropped the complete exhaust off it, cost him 35 quid. Took it home, cleaned it up, put it on. Genuine BMW so it fitted like a glove and sounds nice. 

 

 

I had my fill of aftermarket Walker/Timax/Bosal type junk years ago. 

+1 for Boysen, OE fitment and superb quality. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/03/2020 at 18:49, Loadmaster said:

As far as I'm aware, my first E39 (now in the good hands of @chicaneuk ) is still on its original exhaust during its 21st year!


Yep still has the OE exhaust :-) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK so I'll take the option of ordering a rear box on-line & getting my local garage to fit.

When it comes to choice I'm dubious about ordering from Germany as, following my recent experience with AutoDoc, it seems to me that Europe falls short of the UK's distance selling protection for consumers should the component prove to be the incorrect spec.

Anyone with experience on this subject?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I ordered new headlights from a company in Germany but via ebay iast year so as to have buyer protection, it was fine.  Now, though, personally under the current situation  I've been buying on line only from UK based companies.

 

Just a thought Though you can take your own view.  Given that many people have already posted that their original exhausts outlived the car and taking into account that these cars are old and often not worth a great deal a second hand exhaust could be worthy of consideration.

They can be obtained via ebay and sent by courier.  I put a link to a typical one earlier in this thread - whether it's the right one would have to be checked.

 

Edited by Dbcrd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Appreciate the reply

I'm currently in touch with the seller of that one to ascertain whether it's a genuine BM item.

Thanks for the heads up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hope it works out. That was just an example I found. Would be interesting to know what others think of online buying at present.  Even though many things from China are still on eBay I have stopped ordering any.  With all th3 flights grounded I can't see how things would arrive and the cargo planes that are running must prioritise food and medical supplies. I've taken a similar view for mainland Europe as well though that could be excessive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've avoided items from China for a long time, most of it is c..p , it can take ages to arrive & if there is a problem some sellers can be very devious about refunds. The favourite trick seems to be pretending they don't understand you & appear clueless about distance selling protection for consumers.

 

Regarding your link re. the SH exhaust. Although a genuine BM component it turned out to be a different part # which is strange as the seller's description of the donor car appeared to match mine, but it turns out his was a touring & although the same year of manuf. maybe was after September whereas my sedan was built in June of that year.

 

Worth a punt though, thanks again.

Edited by Norseman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On further investigation (yes I know I should have done this in the first place, but crawling around under cars just isn't my bag these days) reveals that as far as I can see the whole system back from the CAT has been replaced & includes a cylindrical centre silencer (not anything like that shown on the Real-OEM diagrams) … no wonder the invoice was for £350 back in 2017. When the car is MOT'd next month I'll take a closer look whilst it's still on the ramp, but if I'm right this changes things from a financial aspect for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Inspection on the garage ramp reveals that the retrofitted SS sports exhaust is a 'cat-back' arrangement comprising of both centre & rear 'box's, the former being welded to the outlet pipe of the CAT.

This means that reverting to a standard exhaust system will entail some jiggery-pokery on the part of the fitter.

 

I suppose there is a small chance that someone will be interested in the sports exhaust … supplied / fitted I believe by Fast Lane @ Chadwell Heath in Essex.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Right, here's where I'm at now.

Been in contact with a local exhaust fabricator (Pipecraft @ Basildon) who will fashion & weld a fitting to the existing CAT to enable a standard cat-back exhaust to be retro-fitted.

I've spent plenty of cash on the car, not due to a lack of reliability just getting things 'right', so the expense of an OE exhaust system is not viable, so any recommendations for a value-for-money product would be appreciated. I have considered the previous posts about a genuine used exhaust but not able so far to track one down.

Finally, when viewing RealOEM diagrams (VIN ending BV18467) I find that there are 3 different rear sections shown, can anyone confirm how the centre 'box is connected to the CAT … ie single pipe push fit or twin pipes ?

 

Thanks in advance guys.

nb.  once the job is done I'll have the stainless sports system for sale. I'll post it on the forum in case anyone is interested.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Norseman said:

Right, here's where I'm at now.

Been in contact with a local exhaust fabricator (Pipecraft @ Basildon) who will fashion & weld a fitting to the existing CAT to enable a standard cat-back exhaust to be retro-fitted.

I've spent plenty of cash on the car, not due to a lack of reliability just getting things 'right', so the expense of an OE exhaust system is not viable, so any recommendations for a value-for-money product would be appreciated. I have considered the previous posts about a genuine used exhaust but not able so far to track one down.

Finally, when viewing RealOEM diagrams (VIN ending BV18467) I find that there are 3 different rear sections shown, can anyone confirm how the centre 'box is connected to the CAT … ie single pipe push fit or twin pipes ?

 

Thanks in advance guys.

nb.  once the job is done I'll have the stainless sports system for sale. I'll post it on the forum in case anyone is interested.

 

 

Surely the fabricator can sort out another silencer to quieten down the system? The drone will be due to the lack of a central silencer no doubt; a good exhaust place will sort that out for you in no time

 

Seems you'll be going to a lot of expense for this; when it could be a relatively easy & cheaper fix to fix the exhaust that's already fitted to the car

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you tried Tims on here for an original system? He will courier and a local garage should easily fit it perhaps with some new rubbers?

 

As it goes i think i've only changed one BMW exhaust and that was on my e28 that had failed only replaced two blocked cats.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×