12 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Surely the fabricator can sort out another silencer to quieten down the system? The drone will be due to the lack of a central silencer no doubt; a good exhaust place will sort that out for you in no time

Seems you'll be going to a lot of expense for this; when it could be a relatively easy & cheaper fix to fix the exhaust that's already fitted to the car

Not quite, if you view my post of the 20th. you'll see that there is a centre 'box in this cat-back. You have raised a valid point though, having already contacted the fabricator about making a fitting to allow fitment of a 'standard' exhaust it may well be worth running your idea past them. There could be a snag though …  the sports system currently on the car was fabricated by a rival outlet … not always a good thing when alterations are needed :(

Edited by Norseman

12 hours ago, duncan-uk said:

Have you tried Tims on here for an original system? He will courier and a local garage should easily fit it perhaps with some new rubbers?

Thank you Duncan, I'm too new to the forum to be familiar with the name … could you suggest contact details ?

Thank you again for your time Duncan.

I love the car & everyone admires it's condition, but in 55 yrs. I don't think I've ever bought a motor that has seen so many 'modification' attempts. No one but myself to blame, but I'll get there & appreciate everyone's help.

8 hours ago, Norseman said:

Not quite, if you view my post of the 20th. you'll see that there is a centre 'box in this cat-back. You have raised a valid point though, having already contacted the fabricator about making a fitting to allow fitment of a 'standard' exhaust it may well be worth running your idea past them. There could be a snag though …  the sports system currently on the car was fabricated by a rival outlet … not always a good thing when alterations are needed :(

I'd stick with that idea

If the exhaust fabricator is worth his salt; he'll do the work you ask him to and only warrant that work; which is fair enough

Personally; messing about with ripping one whole system off and then replacing it with another, when a simple silencer could be fitted to really dampen down the noise, just makes more sense

On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2020 at 6:10 PM, d_a_n1979 said:

Personally; messing about with ripping one whole system off and then replacing it with another, when a simple silencer could be fitted to really dampen down the noise, just makes more sense

Agree entirely, I tend to over-think things sometimes.

Arranged to call the fabricator on Monday to arrange an appointment as soon as.

Cheers

N.

14 minutes ago, Norseman said:

Agree entirely, I tend to over-think things sometimes.

Arranged to call the fabricator on Monday to arrange an appointment as soon as.

Cheers

N.

Spotted 525i OEM exhaust on Facebook sales page today for £60. Rear and middle silencer part, I believe everything from that's coming after cats. Single pipe. Not sure if any good and location, but might be worth to check.

Thanks for that Ray, I'll keep it in mind though I'm not on Facebook / Twitter etc.

Not sure if the 525 application is the same as my 523, for example the rear 'box part # is only applicable to both the 523 &  520. Sedan & touring part # are also different, possibly due to rear suspension design. Even some parts differ between E39's up to 9/98 (phase one) & those manuf. after that date, hence my paying £48 for a genuine BM autobox filter to ensure I got the correct fitment, following the previous AutoDoc fiasco  :angry:

59 minutes ago, Norseman said:

Thanks for that Ray, I'll keep it in mind though I'm not on Facebook / Twitter etc.

Not sure if the 525 application is the same as my 523, for example the rear 'box part # is only applicable to both the 523 &  520. Sedan & touring part # are also different, possibly due to rear suspension design. Even some parts differ between E39's up to 9/98 (phase one) & those manuf. after that date, hence my paying £48 for a genuine BM autobox filter to ensure I got the correct fitment, following the previous AutoDoc fiasco  :angry:

You might be correct about them being different exhausts between 523 and 525. 

23 hours ago, Ray112 said:

You might be correct about them being different exhausts between 523 and 525. 

Yes car ownership is a learning curve to be sure. Although I had a '96 E34 520i touring years ago I'm still learning about BM's

I'm a classic Land Rover bloke at heart, so the build quality & performance of an old BM is a revelation as LR has neither of these attributes :rolleyes:

On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2020 at 8:57 PM, Norseman said:

On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2020 at 6:10 PM, d_a_n1979 said:

If the exhaust fabricator is worth his salt; he'll do the work you ask him to and only warrant that work; which is fair enough

Fabricator has checked out the existing (modified) set-up on the ramp. Rather than try to flog me anything of his own fabrication his opinion was that only retrofitting a standard spec. system would give me the sound that BM intended & he would carry out the necessary alterations to allow that system to fit onto the original CAT.

Being unable to afford OE & unlikely to find a good used exhaust from a breakers, due to age of the car & the fact that the part numbers change from 9/98 (mine is June '98) can I ask for any opinions of the Gerlach systems sold on Ebay etc. ?  There are very few reviews of these on the net, but I haven't a bad comment yet, though fellow BM owners own views would be appreciated … as always.

2 hours ago, Norseman said:

Fabricator has checked out the existing (modified) set-up on the ramp. Rather than try to flog me anything of his own fabrication his opinion was that only retrofitting a standard spec. system would give me the sound that BM intended & he would carry out the necessary alterations to allow that system to fit onto the original CAT.

Being unable to afford OE & unlikely to find a good used exhaust from a breakers, due to age of the car & the fact that the part numbers change from 9/98 (mine is June '98) can I ask for any opinions of the Gerlach systems sold on Ebay etc. ?  There are very few reviews of these on the net, but I haven't a bad comment yet, though fellow BM owners own views would be appreciated … as always.

But what exactly changes after 9/98?  I believe floor pan is still the same, even on later facelift 6 cylinder cars. So if some fabrication is required anyway to get OEM exhaust back on, maybe you can use OEM exhaust from some other 6 cylinder petrol e39? I haven't checked any part diagrams, so maybe my idea is totally wrong, but if not, it might be a solution to your problem. 

Edited by Ray112

10 hours ago, Ray112 said:

But what exactly changes after 9/98?  I believe floor pan is still the same, even on later facelift 6 cylinder cars. So if some fabrication is required anyway to get OEM exhaust back on, maybe you can use OEM exhaust from some other 6 cylinder petrol e39? I haven't checked any part diagrams, so maybe my idea is totally wrong, but if not, it might be a solution to your problem. 

I see where you are coming from Ray & thank you for the suggestion. I only know that the part nos. change & my concern is that whilst paying a garage to carry out this work I want to supply them with the correct kit first time around. I spent ages last night trawling through a number of reviews for Gerlach from several different owner forums (not just BM) & the general consensus is that the company produces value-for -money products that generally fit without problems. A CAT-back system from them inc. brackets will cost £133 with free delivery from Germany (though the manuf. is a long established company in Poland) & of course it won't last like OE, but then I've spent a motoring lifetime replacing aftermarket exhausts every few years & accept such products as consumables.

My approach may well be considered a cop-out by some BM affectionardo's, but advancing age & paying for labour tends to dampen the enthusiasm I once had -_-