Steve van hool

E39 M5's for sale

I've seen quite a few at £15k plus recently. But are they selling? - some have been around for quite a while. 

Hi,

There's been a number of threads over the last few months to a year or two about E39 M5 prices. Lots and lots of 'increased' asking prices compared to a few years ago and better kept and maintained examples are selling, with the majority of sold cars once the asking price has been cut by several thousand pounds. There's a smaller proportion that sell closer to their initial asking price or after a modest reduction. Lots of others with significantly higher asking prices and with some examples that seem to be in excellent shape and others where you can see plenty of issues/foibles in the advertisement pictures. In general though, no, E39 M5's aren't selling well and most examples get relisted time and time again and ones that have been nicely looked after by enthusiasts still take a good few months to actually sell. 

Lots and lots of talk that E39 M5 prices will continue to rise over the next 3-5, 5-10 and 10-15+ years. They might, but will only be for the very best examples, in pristine condition, the right colour and spec with stacks of maintenance history and bills and also with mileages less than 75,000. The rest won't have large actual selling prices in coming years. 

Think of all the above for many other interesting and sought after BMW M cars, BMW's and other marque equivalents too. 

Cheers, Dennis!

Seen it before and it will happen again.....they'll go up. 

Had it with countless cars in the past from basic fords to other M cars. Sooner or later we'll be saying ''Do you remember when they were this price''

(In fact, I'll try and dig up a thread from a few years ago where people said they'd never go above 8 grand.

Worse case is, you run one and it doesn't lose money.

9 hours ago, Davidwood said:
9 hours ago, Davidwood said:

Worse case is, you run one and it doesn't lose money.

Depreciation is a very significant cost of running a car, any car, people talk about mpg, insurance cost etc, depreciation should be top of the list, my 1996 528i cost £2000, twelve years ago, today maybe worth £900, so I've lost £1100, but over twelve years is less than £100 a year, I can live with that.

My M5 was bought 3 years ago costing £7200, today it will be worth a bit more.

Hi,

Davidwood - The thing is, looking forward from today and over the next 5/10 to 15/20+ years, fossil fueled cars will be much less popular due the legislation to own and run one that is on it's way. What happened in the 'past' is exactly that, the past and the future is looking bleak for most fossil fueled cars, especially 'fast' variants of normal road cars. I'd say those with deep enough pockets to run a petrol driven 'fast variant' of a normal road, mass produced car will choose an E39 M5. By then, a litre of fuel in the UK may be £2.50 to £3 per litre and VED might be £1500/2K per year and extra loading on insurance policies and £35/50 per day to drive in a town/city. All those 'Fords' that are currently enjoying big asking prices along with the very best examples with big selling prices, will likely start selling for a lot less over the coming decade or two. There'll be a lot less 'youngsters' able or even wanting to spend £60-100 grand on a classic ford because they'll not really know what they were and daily living costs and life priorities will be much more important. 

Steve Van Hool - Depreciation is only one factor really, it's the difference between the purchase price and the subsequent selling price some time later. When you include the mandatory ownership and running costs over that same timeframe, very very few cars will return a genuine profit once they're factored in. 

I may well be totally wrong on the above and in 15 years time, the roughest dog examples of an E39 M5 will be £15K and most will be £30K and ones with less than 150K miles will have asking prices of £40K and the ones with less than 75K asking prices of £50-70K in the UK...

Lets see what happens!!

Cheers, Dennis!

10 hours ago, duncan-uk said:

Enjoy them now. Don't worry about their value. The world is changing.

Past performance is no guarantee of future growth.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fully agree with that Duncan, applies to nearly all bmw's, they were made to be driven, it's ingrained in their DNA.

On 29/02/2020 at 22:30, duncan-uk said:

Enjoy them now. Don't worry about their value. The world is changing.

Past performance is no guarantee of future growth.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

100 %