antimony

Time to warm up

I've noticed that my 2012 525d N47 is taking a while to warm up.  Yesterday (ambient 3 degrees) it took over 20 mins of countryside A road driving before the gauge stabilised just below 100, it blows warm air within a couple of minutes in the cabin.  Is that normal or suggestive of thermostat problems.  It's going in on Friday for the EGR cooler recall, could that be the fault?

Cheers

Firstly, the gauge is an oil temperature gauge, so it will take longer to warm up than coolant. You can access coolant temperature via the hidden menu, but if you have warm air within a couple of minutes, I'd say that everything is in order. I have the same model, the oil temperature does take a while to come up, but cabin heat (& heated seats) are pretty quick to kick in.

One thing to note, is that cabin air is "artificially" warmed with heating elements in the air tracts before its up to engine operating temperatures.

I would say my 530d Touring is a bit quicker than that to get to 100degC Oil, mine would be 10mins or so I would say but its very dependant on driving style and roads used etc.

Mine used ot warm up pretty quickly but since bmw did a software update mine behaves exactly same as yours sometimes i can drive my full 40 minute journey and oil temperature would reach where yours did towards the end or if i climb a hill. 

I maintained that it is thermostat before but a mechanic at main dealer said that this new software runs them a bit cooler. 

Mine is B47 so if yours never used to sit below 100 i would say check thermostat and not sure all n47s did but didnt some of them also had a thermostat for egr cooler too. It may worth mentioning when you drop the car off for the recall.

3 hours ago, BFleming said:

Firstly, the gauge is an oil temperature gauge, so it will take longer to warm up than coolant. You can access coolant temperature via the hidden menu, but if you have warm air within a couple of minutes, I'd say that everything is in order. I have the same model, the oil temperature does take a while to come up, but cabin heat (& heated seats) are pretty quick to kick in.

Is there a way of getting to the coolant temperature except from the hidden menu?

thanks people

1 hour ago, Bez said:

Is there a way of getting to the coolant temperature except from the hidden menu?

thanks people

The only either way is decent Bluetooth adaptor that has function to show coolant temp or a diagnostics equipment, hidden menu is fastest way unless you have one of those bluetooth adapters.

4 hours ago, F10er said:

The only either way is decent Bluetooth adaptor that has function to show coolant temp or a diagnostics equipment, hidden menu is fastest way unless you have one of those bluetooth adapters.

i guessed as much. Thanks for the answer

3ohhwx02khe-ZIpu-QQU.gif

Every time I see title I think mr motivater :lol:

Sorry couldn't help myself.

Edited by marko530d

On 26/02/2020 at 19:33, F10er said:

The Torque app shows collect temp.

I believe torque lite is free too.

Edited by marko530d