ollieg

E39 Sat for 6 Years :-)

I have a m52tu 2.8 that has sat for 6 years. I tried to start it a few weeks ago and found the fuel pump seized. I replaced the fuel pump today and the car started first time. :-) Very happy.

Unfortunately, the car will not rev at all and the rpm will drop near stalling point and the EML light will come on. I was thinking a code reader might help me with this and possibly some new fuel. The fuel in the tank is very yellow and maybe the issue??? 

Anyway, can someone recommend a code reader for around £150-£200 that might also work well with VAG stuff. Or do you think I should just chuck a jerry can at it?? :-) 

The plugs and filter were done when it was first sat. I did a full service with fan coupling etc and ment to get it straight back on the road. Then circumstances changed and I couldn't afford to insure it. It then sat untouched...........   My wife wants me to scrap it but it was a brilliant car and I did enjoy it a lot. I will add 10l of fuel and check the plugs. The filter should be fine ( I Hope ). Could you recommend a code reader if that doesn't work?   

FUEL BMW

On 2/25/2020 at 6:22 AM, Tims said:

The rear of the cill's will be the real issue

I already had them done before it got neglected. No rust has come through.... Yet. I need to check underneath  ( RH rear jacking point was also repaired). I will get it running this weekend hopefully. Thanks :-) I couldn't get the photo to display but I guess some of you saw it. :-)

Thanks for your replies and I will keep you posted.

Ok, I added some fuel additive and ran the car. Still messing about. Reset the codes and then ran the engine. Every time I press the accelerator the car nearly stalls. I then read the codes again.

08 DME Signal air-mass flow sensor

12 DME Signal exhaust-camshaft sensor

77 DME Engine throttle, mechanical fault (sluggish/stuck)

So..... Out came the Throttle body and it was well and truly stuck closed. Some cleaning and moving later it now moves with the throttle cable :-)

I will get everything back together and retest in the next few days.  

BMW Thrott 2

BMW Throttle body

Glad to hear it’s making progress. Mine has sat on and off for a few years and I plan to get it back on the road soon. I swapped the fuel out a few months ago and changed the fuel filter. Will also do oil, coolant, brake and power steering fluid as all of it doesn’t cost much and just gives peace of mind for a few years. 

I have just repaired 2 split hoses ( just to get it running)  so I can take it to my friend who runs a garage and MOT Center. I will get him to do all fluids and filters. + fresh MOT. :-) 

I haven't had it running properly yet. Soon.