Paul26May

New tyres advice please - front only.

Not a recommendation as such but I think you should be running 45 profile on the fronts with 18" wheels (F10). 45 all round on the Touring.

19" staggered wheels are 40 and 35 respectively.

Edited by jannism

1 hour ago, jannism said:

Not a recommendation as such but I think you should be running 45 profile on the fronts with 18" wheels (F10). 45 all round on the Touring.

Staggered 18" setup on the F10 does indeed run 245/45 profiles on the front and 275/40 profile's on the rear. 

F10 with 19" staggered set up is 245/40 and 275/35.

F11 from the factory on 18" rims are all square with 245/45 on all four.

F11 from the factory on 19" rims are all square with 245/40 on all four.

Messing with the rolling radii of tyres can result in issues with all systems that use the wheel sensors as inputs.

Buy whatever tyres you want that are within your budget and meet your criteria for what's important to you in tyres. Like wet braking, noise, traction, price, rim protector, rft or non rft etc etc.  You will get all that info from various tyre vendors websites.

Just fitted Goodyear Asymmetric 3's and very happy with them.  Quiet and grippy in wet   (None run flats)

Edited by guysat

I will need new tyres in the next few months, at least for the front. Current one's are Altimax 275/40 R18 on the rear and 245/40 R18 at the front. Any recommendations please?

Are you sure? It's 275/40R18 in the back and 245/45R18 in the front?

Are you looking for a All-Season Tyre?

I'm prefer premium brands as Goodyear and Continental. Dunlop is too doing a great products.

12 hours ago, McBeemer said:

Some good discount deals on www.blackcircles.com so don't rule out premium brands. 

I've always found if you go thru BC and pick a local fitter, going direct to that same local fitter for the same tyre is always cheaper.

Spend money on tyres, don't save it, they are the only thing keeping you on the black stuff, between the ditches and out of the hedges.

9 hours ago, Linhares said:

I'm prefer premium brands as Goodyear and Continental. Dunlop is too doing a great products.

Likewise, yes I'm a tyre snob.

I'm not a fan of the Conti's anymore.  They were great on my E39, but quite poor  (noise, handling) on my wife's Kuga, they got replaced on the Ford for Goodyear Asymmetric after reading their praise on here.  My current winter set up is Cont's and they aren't as good as the Dunlop winters they replaced so they won't be replaced like for like.

Current summer set up is essentially todays version of the Michelin tyres it left the factory with, Primacy 3.   If it was good enough for BMW, its good enough for me. Planted in the bends, best wet braking rating for their size and has a decent rim protector to save my powder coated rims from the potholes.

I replace all 4 runflats last April with Goodyear F1 A3s and the ride transformation was night and day. However, the rears were down to 3mm by November.

Had 2 punctures in the last month (1 front, 1 rear) and replaced with Goodyear F1 A5s. Time will tell but winter grip already much better - more so I expect when I replace the other rear very soon.

What mileage did the Goodyears do in that timeframe @jannism?

The first pair of Goodyears we put on the wife's Kuga didn't last that long,11 k miles in 18 months but I put that down to how it's driven by the main driver.....

On 24/02/2020 at 19:29, 535i Andrew said:

What mileage did the Goodyears do in that timeframe ?

Somewhere between 10k and 15k so not great IMO although that was just the rears on a 535d and my feet are quite heavy. The fronts were still at 6mm after that period.