timbotambo

Severe hesitation, stalling, 2015 BMW Auto F11 2.0d - nearly caused a crash!!

My F11 2.0d Auto has developed the seemingly infamous hesitation issue ove the last 3 months. There's lots of information on the threads but seemingly nothing definitive in terms of a solution just tons and tons of suggestions. My car has done just over 100k miles and is a late 2015 model.

Today, when pulling out of a junction with plenty of time (slightly uphill) the car juddered across the road almost cutting out, causing the oncoming cars to stop. Probably took about 10 seconds to pull across the two lanes. There was a drivetrain error message appear on the idrive and it went into reduced power mode. This has never come up before. 

I thought it may solve itself in time but it's getting worse. My symptoms are:

- Rough idle running, sometimes the rev counter will fluctuate (lose revs) when when stationary

- Severe hesitation, intermittent.  Sometimes the car flies, other times it takes around 2 seconds to move.

- Definitely a lot worse at very low speed, no issue when moving 

-  Car has stalled on two occasions when moving at low speed i.e. car park. Didn't know an auto could do that!!

- Doesn't make a difference if the car has had a good run on the motorway etc, the next day the problem will be back

- Sports mode doesn't really make a difference

- Leaving the car to warm up 10 seconds when cold before moving sometimes makes a difference but could be coincidence. 

- Car had a main dealer service in early Nov and seemed to start after that but again could be a coincidence!!

- It has been checked for EGR recall and wasnt due one

- Doing the 'reset' on the YouTube videos makes no difference

- Car sometimes judders when turning the engine off

Any help as to what the heck may be causing this is gratefully received as the car is dangerous to drive now!!

I had these symptoms on a diesel before and it was caused by the maf air flow sensor not working.

It did not show any error codes but a new one fixed it. 
or it could be something else. 

As another has said, get the fault codes read as a starting point. If the car is that bad, have it recovered to a reputable Indi or BMW if you have the cash and get it diagnosed.  

Edited by Matthew Ashton

1 hour ago, timbotambo said:

My F11 2.0d Auto has developed the seemingly infamous hesitation issue ove the last 3 months. There's lots of information on the threads but seemingly nothing definitive in terms of a solution just tons and tons of suggestions.

And there won't be until you get the codes read. 

But be warned fault codes are not necessarily infallible as something like an air leak could give similar symptoms but not log a fault code directly.

Which is why it needs taken or rather recovered (as you say it's dangerous to drive), to a trusted garage who can read fault codes and has a good understanding of how such engines work and why they don't and not somewhere who just relies on "what the laptop says".

Had this problem, was a swirl flap actuator!! Swirl flaps are currently stuck fully open!! Or else inlet if full of gunk/carbon because the fantastic "egr"... carbon has built up causing the flaps not to close properly!! On low revs the flaps are closed as the engine revs flaps open!!... all your symptoms are relative to this fault!! I would suggest changing that actuator firstly as it's easy to do! 3 screws and a plug, its located under the top engine cover and above the egr cooler! You should see it if you go looking. I got a second hand one for 30quid in it now a year and a1. @timbotambo

Edited by JohnPaulKealy

BMW Sytner have diagnosed (very quickly) a failed EGR valve and the work is underway. Quoted £270 all in. I'll report back again when I get the car back in a day or so. 

@johnpaulkealy many thanks for the heads up! Sadly read the post too late but if the EGR replacement doesn't work I know where to go next!  

I stand corrected. 

It feels like the valve should have a failure state. If it starts to misbehave it should go into a safe mode whilst it can. And then annoy you that it's broken and needs fixing. 

Safety first and all that. 

3 hours ago, timbotambo said:

BMW Sytner have diagnosed (very quickly) a failed EGR valve and the work is underway. Quoted £270 all in. I'll report back again when I get the car back in a day or so. 

@johnpaulkealy many thanks for the heads up! Sadly read the post too late but if the EGR replacement doesn't work I know where to go next!  

Has your car not been recalled yet for EGR? 

I paid for my failing valve, I was assured 100% that my 64 plate car didn't suffer from failing EGR and would not be recalled. 

I bought a new one, £162 including vat and fitted it. A month later I got a recall letter saying my EGR was on the list.......now. 

I would argue the case that these have been failing at an extremely high rate. 

Thought it'd be your EGR.

Is your EGR not covered under the recall? Just beer in mind, it's not at all uncommon for an older EGR Cooler to go faulty after the valve is replaced. If you want to be really sure, you're better of replacing the entire unit, but maybe just see how it goes with just the valve replacement for now.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

^I think the recall goes well into 2018 models doesn’t? 

Yeah, but they are recalling cars in stages based on build dates. 

On 2/20/2020 at 2:04 PM, timbotambo said:

I've had the exact same symptoms as you for a while now and been unable to put the car in to BMW until today. Put it in to John Clark in Dundee and they've given the same EGR valve diagnosis, saying it was stuck 50% open. No EGR recall on my car just now but I spoke to the service manager when I dropped the car off and he was saying the recent recalls are just for the cooler and not the valve. They have quoted me £419 for the work, but I think they are including the £140 odds for diagnostics.

Is your price inclusive of the diagnostics? I would have assumed BMW dealers would have the same prices across the board.

Can't wait to get the car back and hopefully running smoothly. Such a horrible feeling pulling out of a junction only to get zero throttle response for a second or two!

The valve is £162 from BMW and takes 30 minutes to fit, it is right at the front of the engine. 

These are failing at an incredible rate, I think BMW should be covering this.