Hi all

Stupid question perhaps but has anyone used biodiesel?

There is a place not far from me that sells it, it's about 80p a litre so have been tempted to do a 50% mix with diesel to see if it works but never been brave enough.

I've got a 520d N47, 101 000 miles with chains replacement snd egr replacement done a few months ago under warranty non BMW warranty. 

IMHO, I dont think its worth it on a nice car such as 5er. In the end it will ruin the fuel system (HP Pump, Injectors etc these were designed with proper grade fuel).

Also I would say water content and containment's would be an issue..

Yes if its a small Peugeot/Citroen run about worth a few hundred quid..

Isn't there a risk of damaging the seals in the fuel system too over and above what was said above? It destroys the rubber seals I think.

Older/up to early 2000's Diesel engined cars perhaps where there aren't quite the same fine tolerances in today's Diesel engines.

Too risky IMO to save a few quid when a new HPFP would be ££££ to put right especially if it shreds itself due to lack of Diesel lubricant and sends tiny metal particles into the injectors.

I believe newer F10s says on fuel cap no biodiesel. I also read last night on US forums about the HPFP failures over there on X5s and a few other cars as they are complaining BMW (bosch) only built those pumps for European diesel and they cant cope with US  grade diesel. Some of them failed as early as 20k. 

It does exactly what Andrew said and costs are astronomical as you need to change whole fuel system including injectors. 

Good job I asked you people before doing it.

Just shows how amazing this forum is in that if I dont know, one of you will and will help.

Its like a big happy family (just dont mention brexit!).

Thank you all

2 hours ago, Johnjonjo said:

Its like a big happy family (just dont mention brexit!).

Or Trump, or what gear your auto F10/11 pulls away in, or fuel additives, or screenwash, or "performance" fuels.

:D

So much passion.....:wub:

23 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

Or Trump, or what gear your auto F10/11 pulls away in, or fuel additives, or screenwash, or "performance" fuels.

:D

So much passion.....:wub:

Andrew  Here is some more passion to add to your list, rain repellent, sealant or wax, runflats or non runflats, diesel or petrol are just a few more passions. :grin: