Flat Cap

318d to 535d wise move?

16 hours ago, Flat Cap said:

Hi SJ, I'm going for a no thrills version [can live without adaptive lights, adaptive suspension, HUD, park assist, sunroof etc...].

Can I ask why you went for a 6 pot over  4 pot?

Out of interest, how long have you had yours for? What was the repair cost per compressor? Brakes cost?

I simply like big engines, generally just potter around to be fair, but like the power to be there if needed. Plus the bigger engined cars tend to be better spec'd. 

It'll be three years in may that I've had it, covered 30k ish in that time.

No idea on compressor cost, I bought as an auc and have continued the warranty since, so it's only cost me the £100 excess.

Brakes fitted at bmw for front and rear discs and pads are £1150, I bought the parts from cotswolds bmw via this forum for £750 and fitted myself, well I've done the rears so far, fronts still to do.

It's going back into BMW on Thursday for yet another egr cooler replacement, this will be the third time it's been changed in two years.

2 minutes ago, marko530d said:

All touring models no matter what engine you have.

Thank you - useful to know that if I'm not dealing with the problem on a 35d then I'll only be dealing with at some point it on my 18d.

20 minutes ago, Flat Cap said:

Thank you - useful to know that if I'm not dealing with the problem on a 35d then I'll only be dealing with at some point it on my 18d.

Would the saloon be any good for you no air bag problems there. 

Got to be an estate, for and dog all the camping gear and dog.
2 dogs???

Don't listen to these estatists.... Hatch lovers are far cooler than these booted people. I hated Orions and Jettas....

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, marko530d said:

Would the saloon be any good for you no air bag problems there. 

Don't know if the 5 series saloons suffer the same fate, but if my previous ownership of BMW's with spring rears is anything to go by, they'll only snap anyway.

18 hours ago, Flat Cap said:

Does the 530d have the same problem?

It will if you buy a touring. It’s the rear air springs in all estate/touring/wagon versions of the 5 Series, the F11, that may/will fail at some point. 

6 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:
18 hours ago, Flat Cap said:

Does the 530d have the same problem?

It will if you buy a touring

That's the downside. On the other hand a touring would be ideal for carrying all the weight the OP mentioned.  When we drove up to Glasgow airport last year with a car full of people and luggage I was really impressed with the way the car handled it. With the way the air suspension adjusts to compensate the added weight was barely noticeable until it was time to slow down.

The touring version of the 5 Series has always been a fine looking machine and in 535d guise, a real unicorn.

As said above the air suspension can be fixed relatively cheaply infact "someone" ;) on here did a very good DIY write up.

Or if that's too much of a faff, buy a saloon and fit a towbar so you can haul a trailer full of stuff. :P

But be prepared to fix the rear coil springs on a saloon too :(

The touring version of the 5 Series has always been a fine looking machine and in 535d guise, a real unicorn.

As said above the air suspension can be fixed relatively cheaply infact "someone"  on here did a very good DIY write up.

Or if that's too much of a faff, buy a saloon and fit a towbar so you can haul a trailer full of stuff.

But be prepared to fix the rear coil springs on a saloon too
A Unicorn away to get its suspension replaced. b935f45cbff4df2ff2af2b321807269f.jpg

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk

My two pence: Do it. You will not regret it for a moment.

I had a 520d F10. Loved it. Wanted more cylinders so got a 530d F10. Loved it. Wanted more boot space so got a 535d F11. Love it.

Can't ever really see me driving anything other than a 5. There'll be an all-electric one soon. I'll get one of those when I can afford one or when I can no longer afford one of these.

Oh, and I had one of my airbags go last summer. Literally took 10 minutes to fix and I'm not someone who likes getting his hands dirty.

Edited by jannism

2 hours ago, jannism said:

My two pence: Do it.

.......Wanted more boot space so got a 535d F11. Love it.

Can't ever really see me driving anything other than a 5.

+1

G31 so no such diesel power option but I’ve got to say the 530d estate still ticks all of my boxes. Eminently practical and makes me smile every time I nip past someone. 

Edited by Boba

17 hours ago, jannism said:

There'll be an all-electric one soon. 

Wash your mouth out with Diesel, I deplore language like that on this forum.  Diesel chat is bad enough, but all electric chat..............

Nearly spat me tea out when I read that.

:lol:

Back to the subject matter, to quote Chris Evans from his breakfast show this morning.

"Go big or go home".

On 20/02/2020 at 08:27, 535i Andrew said:

Wash your mouth out with Diesel, I deplore language like that on this forum.  Diesel chat is bad enough, but all electric chat..............

Nearly spat me tea out when I read that.

:lol:

Back to the subject matter, to quote Chris Evans from his breakfast show this morning.

"Go big or go home".

I baits the hook...aaaaand my work here is done :D

On 2/20/2020 at 8:27 AM, 535i Andrew said:

"Go big or go home".

Lads,lads, lads, lads, lads! Picked up a 535d yesterday and drove the 160 mile journey home with a big grin on my face.

Gave it a bit of welly when merging onto the motorway; butter my butt and call it a biscuit it's quick.

Wifey turned slowly towards me and said "I thought this was supposed to be a sensible family car"  rofl.jpg.4bd224ae4847e2151236caba2f4901c7.jpg

Had an oil level scare after just half an hour driving ~ started  new thread  about that ~ but otherwise very happy with your recommendations for this model since joining the forum and asking for advice. Thank you all.

450946368_IMG_2885ii.thumb.jpg.40607829bbc00e0842179379b319c01e.jpg

IMG_2886.thumb.JPG.e023c64bfa855036b9718e9df0417319.JPG

Congratulations! The F11 is a lovely car. Mine is only a 530d and is sufficient for 'reasonable progress'. With the extra horses the 535d must be a real rocket ship.

I had a bit of a scare with my oil level soon after buying my car. The sensor got changed and has been ok since but seems they're not all that accurate even when working properly. If you have a dipstick I'd recommend keeping an eye on that instead.

26 minutes ago, Flat Cap said:

Lads,lads, lads, lads, lads! Picked up a 535d yesterday and drove the 160 mile journey home with a big grin on my face.

Gave it a bit of welly when merging onto the motorway; butter my butt and call it a biscuit it's quick.

Wifey turned slowly towards me and said "I thought this was supposed to be a sensible family car"  rofl.jpg.4bd224ae4847e2151236caba2f4901c7.jpg

Had an oil level scare after just half an hour driving ~ started  new thread  about that ~ but otherwise very happy with your recommendations for this model since joining the forum and asking for advice. Thank you all.

450946368_IMG_2885ii.thumb.jpg.40607829bbc00e0842179379b319c01e.jpg

IMG_2886.thumb.JPG.e023c64bfa855036b9718e9df0417319.JPG

Great buy, enjoy!

43 minutes ago, Flat Cap said:

Mine said the same when she first drove mine!