apples12

New Battery - Register if everythings the same?

Well, after my car decided to start telling me reverse camera failed, idrive decided to reboot, I've taken the decision to act on the low battery error code stored in the ECU

I have purchased a new OEM 105AH BMW battery, it is identical in terms of capacity numbers as to what is currently fitted

Do I still need to go through the rigamarole with ISTA to 'register' it? 

If so, is there an easy guide to follow?

Many thanks

2 hours ago, apples12 said:

Well, after my car decided to start telling me reverse camera failed, idrive decided to reboot, I've taken the decision to act on the low battery error code stored in the ECU

I have purchased a new OEM 105AH BMW battery, it is identical in terms of capacity numbers as to what is currently fitted

Do I still need to go through the rigamarole with ISTA to 'register' it? 

If so, is there an easy guide to follow?

Many thanks

You Definitely need to register the new battery. 

The car has an IBS or intelligent battery sensor that over time adjusts the charging circuitry for the ageing battery. Putting a new battery in, albeit identical, you must register the new battery through ISTA to reset the charging function. 

You have bought a 105 ah battery. Is this identical to the one being removed? I thought the original was 90aH?

If the aH rating is changing, you can set this before the registration process via ISTA. 

To register the battery, start ISTA:

Then goto:

Vehicle Management 

Service Functions

Body

Voltage Supply

Battery

Register Battery Exchange - and follow the instructions. 

6 hours ago, Matthew Ashton said:

You Definitely need to register the new battery. 

The car has an IBS or intelligent battery sensor that over time adjusts the charging circuitry for the ageing battery. Putting a new battery in, albeit identical, you must register the new battery through ISTA to reset the charging function. 

You have bought a 105 ah battery. Is this identical to the one being removed? I thought the original was 90aH?

If the aH rating is changing, you can set this before the registration process via ISTA. 

To register the battery, start ISTA:

Then goto:

Vehicle Management 

Service Functions

Body

Voltage Supply

Battery

Register Battery Exchange - and follow the instructions. 

I've definitely got a 105ah battery fitted currently, new one ordered off vin.

Now to find a copy of ista for my new laptop

Double check what size of battery should be in the car from new. Standard size is 90ah for a 530d and my 535i. 

If you change the size of battery from standard it needs to be coded to the car, if it's just replaced with a like for like it just needs registered to the car. 

Most hand held code reading diagnostic machines or Carly can register a battery. 

Will change the battery over on the weekend hopefully if its dry out

It's 100% a 105ah, checked under the boot carpet and its showing as a 105ah/950amp and its what flashed up on the part's department computer as factory fit too

I'll update on the weekend, many thanks for the advice chaps

1 hour ago, 535i Andrew said:

Have you got some fancy optional extras in your car that necessitates the bigger battery?

Let us know how you get on.

It's a bog standard 520d se with Pro nav!

I have retrofitted reverse camera, speed limit display, front led fogs, extended Bluetooth and 6wb/full black panel but otherwise the car is stock

On 19/02/2020 at 08:14, 535i Andrew said:

Have you got some fancy optional extras in your car that necessitates the bigger battery?

All done this afternoon, went without a hitch. 

Fairly straightforward, 2x 13mm for the strap over the top, 2 plastic clamps (one on the back left, one on right side), 10mm for negative and positive, 13mm for the clamp terminal under the second flap and the IBS thing just lifted straight off.

Ista instructions above were incredibly helpful, so thank you for those @Matthew Ashton

Gearbox doesn't seem to be jolting when going from d>p any more, will monitor and see how it gets on.

Dpf code is stored in the dde, will be going for a wash of the dpf soon

1 hour ago, percha said:

@apples12 what DPF code out of interest, see:

The code I have is 244800 - information diesel particulate filter: limited remaining distance available

Car is on 157k miles so i reckon the dpf is near the end of its life or 'full' potentially.

The 'wash' is only 150quid, taken off car, washed in a special machine, heated up and fit back to car. Worth a punt

59 minutes ago, apples12 said:

The code I have is 244800 - information diesel particulate filter: limited remaining distance available

Car is on 157k miles so i reckon the dpf is near the end of its life or 'full' potentially.

The 'wash' is only 150quid, taken off car, washed in a special machine, heated up and fit back to car. Worth a punt

Worth a punt is just resetting the DPF if it is end of life m8, I do it on a lot of cars if the backpressure post regen is below 10mb.

10 hours ago, GoNz0 said:

Worth a punt is just resetting the DPF

Do you know how to do this on an F11? I'll probably run into this at some point so would be good to to know. I have ISTA.  

Mine is a 520d LCi and uses a 105Ah :)
But, as well explained, needs battery registration due to smart charging feature.

11 hours ago, Cadwell Parker said:

Do you know how to do this on an F11? I'll probably run into this at some point so would be good to to know. I have ISTA.  

Search for battery m8, it will be up near the top.