Auc car. 

I guess they filled the screenwash. 

But if they didn't, and the previous owner used other stuff.....

Should I top up with plain water first to clear out the old before I put bmw stuff in? 

I hear mixing is a sure fire way to clog the pump and knacker the headlight sprayers. 

Ratios are written on the bottle dependent on temperature. Think 1 part solution to 2 parts water is good for -12 if memory serves me correctly. Neat solution is something silly like -63, don't think you'll be needing that in the uk.

I used to put any screenwash in the car but recently I had to pay for this by dismantling the car to get at the filter which had completely blocked up.

I will empty the bottle in future before refilling it in case the screenwashes react again.

I have discovered that the juice I just put in is no longer available...gone bankrupt 

So the moral is to stick to one brand when topping up.

6 minutes ago, Spreadly said:

Wait! You went out and bought BMW screenwash? May I ask why? emoji848.png

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Haven't bought anything yet. 

Concensus seems to be to use it to stop filter clogging... 

Haven't bought anything yet. 

Concensus seems to be to use it to stop filter clogging... 
Don't waste your money, it's not some special potion to keep the washer jets clear. I've used Halfords screenwash on every car I've had, and on my current F10 for the past 4 years. I've had no clogging whatsoever, ever. If you want to keep the system clear, don't allow it to run till empty. It's as simple as that.

It's the halfords pink fluid that protects down to -10°C, and costs around £5 for 5 litres.

8 hours ago, Spreadly said:

Don't waste your money, it's not some special potion to keep the washer jets clear. I've used Halfords screenwash on every car I've had, and on my current F10 for the past 4 years. I've had no clogging whatsoever, ever. If you want to keep the system clear, don't allow it to run till empty. It's as simple as that.

It's the halfords pink fluid that protects down to -10°C, and costs around £5 for 5 litres.

Completely agree - never had a problem after 7 years with 5 series.

I tend to fill solely with prestone stuff - buying in bulk at end of each season when Tesco have the 4l gallons down to 2.50 each

Stocked up on summer wash, 14 gallons for 1.25 each from Morrisons not long ago.

I've also had the dreaded blocked filter after I dared to pour in a gallon of Halfords finest after prestone and sure enough... All blocked up. 

2 litres of hot water from the tap cycled through managed to unblock everything

44 minutes ago, apples12 said:

I tend to fill solely with prestone stuff - buying in bulk at end of each season when Tesco have the 4l gallons down to 2.50 each

Stocked up on summer wash, 14 gallons for 1.25 each from Morrisons not long ago.

I've also had the dreaded blocked filter after I dared to pour in a gallon of Halfords finest after prestone and sure enough... All blocked up. 

This stuff https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/303698021

Should I fill my tank up with water and flush the old stuff out first? Not sure what was in it... But bought as an Auc car over 2 months a go, and just run out. So presume it was full and likely bmw stuff... Maybe. 

30 minutes ago, Skynet5 said:

This stuff https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/303698021

Should I fill my tank up with water and flush the old stuff out first? Not sure what was in it... But bought as an Auc car over 2 months a go, and just run out. So presume it was full and likely bmw stuff... Maybe. 

If I was in your shoes... I personally wouldn't worry and just run whatever is in there through

Do not use anything but BMW screenwash....

Why?

Because I used high quality screenwash that went down to -35 or something and the filter got clogged when the car was 7 years old. So much so that no water came out of the washers at all. Happened to many others too. You have to take the inner plastic wing out on the drivers side front to get at the bottom of the bottle. It's a right pain in ar$e job too.

It's worth paying a little more for the proper stuff and can be found cheaper on ebay and likes sometimes.

Edited by E39mad

13 hours ago, GeeJayJoe said:

I used to put any screenwash in the car but recently I had to pay for this by dismantling the car to get at the filter which had completely blocked up.

I will empty the bottle in future before refilling it in case the screenwashes react again.

I have discovered that the juice I just put in is no longer available...gone bankrupt 

So the moral is to stick to one brand when topping up.

Same happened to me, and getting the filter out to clean it up was a couple of hours of knuckle scraping misery, especially when I dropped the filter putting it back in and spent half an hour fruitlessly scrabbling about to try and find it before discovering by a million to one chance it had fallen exactly into the hole it was meant to be in.

The stuff that caused it was amber in colour rather than the blue stuff I usually use. Rather technical I know, but now I stick to blue stuff.

I had the same dilemma! I used good old clean water after the screenwash emptied from bmw, I think I flushed it out twice before adding any other one , I’ve used 2 different brands recently and it hasn’t made a blind bit of difference, if you’re worried I’ve heard of a hose pipe to flush it through or hot water  

I bought the bmw stuff this time round. Whilst it's in warranty still etc. 

Don't know for sure what's in at the mo so will flush through a couple of times with plain water. 

How big is the reservoir again? 

Edit: 6l apparently. 

Ill defo dilute. We might have another Frost in Cheshire, but I don't think itll be hard. 

Edited by Skynet5

I went through the same process of cleaning the filter, which as has been said, is a real pain! The filter is a fine mesh to prevent any blockages at the nozzles where the holes are very small in order to provide a fine spray. 

The BMW fluid (and VAGI believe) are formulated with this in mind. 

I also use distilled rather than tap water. 

I'm sure some will see this as a bit OTT, but it works for me.... so far! 

Do not use anything but BMW screenwash....

Why?

Because I used high quality screenwash that went down to -35 or something and the filter got clogged when the car was 7 years old. So much so that no water came out of the washers at all. Happened to many others too. You have to take the inner plastic wing out on the drivers side front to get at the bottom of the bottle. It's a right pain in ar$e job too.

It's worth paying a little more for the proper stuff and can be found cheaper on ebay and likes sometimes.
You've fallen for the BMW marketing.

In that case, mixing the screenwash is what caused your blockage. Not the brand.

8 minutes ago, Skynet5 said:

Yes, not sure I can be fussed with distilled water. 

Just topped up with the hose as the shell garage and pumped I reckon a litre through. 

Since my 5 Series had clogged up washer pump filters and went through the pain of dismantling and cleaning the filters on the 3 pumps on that car I have been using the BMW stuff exclusively at 1 part screenwash to 2 parts potable water from the tap (detailed on the bottle label)  and had no problems since. Works for me and I buy the 5 litre containers that you find available on eBay.

Edited by Matthew Ashton

4 hours ago, Spreadly said:

You've fallen for the BMW marketing.

Nope experience and scrapped knuckles means I'd rather not do that repair again!!