Nope experience and scrapped knuckles means I'd rather not do that repair again!!
Then I really don't know what it depends on. I've used various screenwash preparations over the years, on various cars, and never had any issues. I've been using Halfords -10°C ready mixed wash on my F10, for the past 4 years with no issues.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Spreadly said:

Then I really don't know what it depends on. I've used various screenwash preparations over the years, on various cars, and never had any issues. I've been using Halfords -10°C ready mixed wash on my F10, for the past 4 years with no issues. emoji2375.png

I think it is the mixing that might increase the chance of an issue. Not necessarily using different brands. 

I use concentrated screen-wash from BMW direct - it’s £2.90 on amazon which seems pretty reasonable.

Means I don’t have to go into those horrible Halfords stores too!

55 minutes ago, goram said:

I use concentrated screen-wash from BMW direct - it’s £2.90 on amazon which seems pretty reasonable.

Means I don’t have to go into those horrible Halfords stores too!

I couldn't find it. Spent £21 for 5l at my local stealer as needed it. 

Will be more prepared next time. 

Edit: found it at that price without antifreeze. 

Edited by Skynet5

2 hours ago, Spreadly said:

1. if BMWScreenWash:

2. moneywaste = 100;

3. if HalfordsScreenWash:

4. blockage = 0;

That's your first lesson in Python.

In your maths, it could only be a 100% waste if your Halfords stuff was free, which it’s not. I love the emotion over something as benign as screenwash. 

You have an opinion and you’re entitled to it let’s move on.

My reality is that at £19 for 5l giving me 15l of screenwash that has performed perfectly with no further blocking of the filters in my cars to date is money well spent. This is the fact for a number of others on the forum who have suffered the same fate. 

Edited by Matthew Ashton

In your maths, it could only be a 100% waste if your Halfords stuff was free, which it’s not. I love the emotion over something as benign as screenwash. 

My reality is that at £19 for 5l giving me 15l of screenwash that has performed perfectly with no further blocking of the filters in my cars to date is money well spent. This is the fact for a number of others on the forum who have suffered the same fate. 

Nah mate, nah mate. My maffs is da best n you're rong.

I get the 5l BMW stuff for about £15 from my local dealer and using some school boy maths, I measure it out to mix with tap water to give me stuff that is good down to -5 and -10 deg C freezing point. If tap water is good enough to put in with a Speyside single malt it's good enough for making up screenwash. 

Neat the BMW stiff is good for -63 deg C so for £15 and 5 litres it goes along way. Unless you fill your wife's car with it and she near enough drives with the scooshers on all the time cleaning the headlights and windscreen.....:rolleyes:

I have to admit defeat and was unable to get to my washer pump and filter despite stripping the inner arch down to have a look and see when I was cleaning out the scuttle drain, but as I have no blockage (which you could argue as I run it on BMW stuff) I just left it for another day.

I love these screenwash threads. So much passion.  :P

Do bmw still do the 20 litre versions for about 50 quid?

I have about 2 litres of concentrate left but in essence prepare 6 1 litre bottles just to throw in as and when needed (like early morning before going to work I can just grab it).

Never had any blockage issues with mine and always ran bmw stuff.

Edited by Ninja59

Just now, Spreadly said:

Both screenwash, and premium fuel/fuel additive threads invoke more passion than an erotic French novel.

Lol I wouldn't know, the last time I read a novel was when I had too for my English higher when I was 16.  Haynes manuals were much more appealing to me at that age......oh o.k and still are. They contain a large amount of fiction too.  :P 

1 hour ago, marko530d said:

Is quantum bmw screen wash

At that price I'd love it if it was. It might be the same fluid with a different label but who knows for sure.

Call me a gullible fool if you like but I bought some of this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182824883106

No, unless its been watered down to "only" -15deg C and its in a slightly different container. 

It's approved by VW so can't be bad.  Protection down to -15 deg C is all you'll ever really need in the UK.

If the screen wash (whatever the brand) has decent detergents and chemicals in it, it will prevent the gunk from forming in the first place which is what clogs the filters as mould can grow.  If mould cannot grow then the chances of blockages drop off. 

2 hours ago, Cadwell Parker said:

At that price I'd love it if it was. It might be the same fluid with a different label but who knows for sure.

Call me a gullible fool if you like but I bought some of this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182824883106

I think in my old e60 or e90 cant remember now I took filter out and it never blocked again. 

On 16/02/2020 at 14:09, Matthew Ashton said:

He thinks running a petrol car that is set up for high octane fuel, on, well, high octane fuel, is snake oil too. 

Sorry, couldn't resit. ;)

However, in his defence here, you can use whatever screen wash you want, just don't mix different brands, they congeal and block the system. 

Edited by gIzzE

42 minutes ago, gIzzE said:

He thinks running a petrol car that is set up for high octane fuel, on, well, high octane fuel, is snake oil too. 

Sorry, couldn't resit. ;)

Not sure what that's got to do with screen wash but which car is set up for high octane fuel?

Edited by Matthew Ashton

8 minutes ago, Matthew Ashton said:

Not sure what that's got to do with screen wash but which car is set up for high octane fuel?

Yours for a start. :D

The thread talking about fuels, he was saying 98 ron is snake oil. 

No understanding of knock sensors. 

But, screen wash should not be mixed, different sorts congeal. 

Edited by gIzzE

8 minutes ago, marko530d said:

20200219-165615.jpg 

Popped in BMW today and couldn't help myself :rolleyes: 

yes, bought mine 6 weeks ago - same price at my local $tealer. Considering the overall running costs of these beasts and the hassle if it gunges up its a worthwhile drop in the ocean.

Edited by Boba

18 minutes ago, Boba said:

yes, bought mine 6 weeks ago - same price. Considering the overall running costs of these beasts and the hassle if it gunges up its a worthwhile drop in the ocean.

Yeah will water it down 50%.

Just hope my daughter dont steal it and put it in her fait 500 :D

Edited by marko530d