cabby

Insurance claim advice

Hoping for a bit of advice and a steer on whether what I'm experiencing is the norm or if insurer it taking the pee.

Our car was rear-ended whilst waiting at a give way.  The driver of the van that his us exchanged details + we took a photo of his insurance as well as his vehicle and ours.  We swapped phone numbers and called this at the scene to check it was correct (which it was).  This info, including a screenshot of calling his number at the scheme (date and time stamped) were shared with our insurer.

I reported tonour insurer Admiral who wanted to pass to a 3rd party on basis of a non fault claim. I declined wishing to stick with Admiral.

Admiral called several weeks ago to say the van driver's insurer are claiming he wasn't at the scene - not that it wasn't his fault but that he actually wasn't there (despite above evidence).

I have been holding out for the 3rd party to accept liability before having the repair done hence avoiding paying the excess.   Admiral are telling me the 3rd party's insurer are maintaining he wasn't there and cant doing anything else to pursue until I instruct works.

Sounds awfully to me like they won't chase until they have to pay out.

Is this right + am I delissioned to expect more from them?  

Horse shit. His insurance is in place to cover his vehicle in the event of an accident. If he was not driving, that's between him and his insurers and they should be settling the claim and seeking a recover from him under Section 71(I think).

If I was you, I'd fuck Admiral off and instruct a no win, no fee Solicitor to deal with the matter for you. If you aren't claiming personal injury, they won't take it on, so maybe check to see if you have legal expenses insurance.

I had an identical scenario with a driver @ work, in London hit from behind, my driver swapped details and took photo's of the damage.

Our insurer got in touch to say the driver denied it and even denied being there and as the photo was just a close up of the front of his van with the number plate there was little/no damage to it so they said it was insufficient to proceed.

Ended up costing us c£1k

That's crap. That's the whole point of having insurance.  They sort it out.  Not you

I take it there is no witness?

If the photo taken with an iPhone, this will record the location of the photo, the location being the scene of the accident.

Thanks all.  Couldn't agree more re: that's what I you for so sort it sentiment.

No witnesses unfortunately. My wife was driving + had our 8yo in car so did a great job to get the info. she did under circumstances.  We did try local CCTV but no joy.

We have legal cover (via admiral ☹️) but might give them a try.  More annoying is that the renewal is coming up and looks like this won't have been settled so will probably hurt us.

Damn sure I won't be using Admiral again. 

4 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

If the photo taken with an iPhone, this will record the location of the photo, the location being the scene of the accident.

It was + will mention this.

TBH the overwhelming feeling I get from Admiral is that they can't be arsed to pursue.

I'll stick up for Admiral.

I made a total loss claim with them when my first E60 was stolen and they were good to deal with. My wife made a total loss claim with them when her Merc was written off in a no fault claim, again very good to deal with.

I am still with them and was, when I made a claim in the F10 in a rear end shunt. I stupidly went with the third party claims companie which was a big mistake. You atleast have not done that. I had to kick Admirals arse a few times to get things sorted* but it did not affect my premium, it dropped each year in the two years afterwards. 

But I was lucky, the guy that hit me admitted fault and had his insurance company on the phone wanting to fix my car but it was too late as I'd gone thru Admiral.

Make a right royal pain in the arse of yourself to Admiral to get things sorted.

*they didn't understand that I suffer from automotive OCD and wanted things done properly.

+1 for Admiral as well. Had a multi car policy with them for over 10 years. Two claims in that time (wife's :roll:) were dealt with quickly and efficiently.

But what's it coming to when someone can have an accident, but later deny being there?

On ‎14‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 17:40, cabby said:

Thanks all.  Couldn't agree more re: that's what I you for so sort it sentiment.

No witnesses unfortunately. My wife was driving + had our 8yo in car so did a great job to get the info. she did under circumstances.  We did try local CCTV but no joy.

We have legal cover (via admiral ☹️) but might give them a try.  More annoying is that the renewal is coming up and looks like this won't have been settled so will probably hurt us.

Damn sure I won't be using Admiral again. 

You have paid for DLP so I would certainly use it. Exactly what I did when somebody rear ended my wife's car. Yes, your premium will go up. When it is proved to be no fault on your wife's part, it should come down a bit. Probably will not come down to what it was before because the insurers will point out she has had an accident - even if it was not her fault

Had similar experience with admiral when I was rear ended in my golf by an artic (he thought I'd already moved off the roundabout, I ended up on the opposite side)

I instructed a no win no fee jobby and just sat back. Had weekly updates from them, a few forms to sign and that was it.

Car was collected and hire car the same day

Insurance costs are going up and up, I'd make them work, it's what they're there for. 

Good luck with that. My wife was involved in a hit and run. We had an independent witness and the registration and finally an admission to their insurers but the police did zip. 

On 17/02/2020 at 20:55, duncan-uk said:

Good luck with that. My wife was involved in a hit and run. We had an independent witness and the registration and finally an admission to their insurers but the police did zip. 

I suppose it depends what you expect the police to do. If you have the reg, witnesses and an admission to their own insurers, then what do you need from the police? Regardless, the fact that they did nothing for you doesn't really tell us how likely they are to do something in general.

The police are known to send S172 notices to drivers purely to ascertain the driver at the time of an incident, and once they have that they pass it on to the insurers to sort out with no further action from themselves. For minor accidents it's probably often not worth their time pursuing  people for careless driving or leaving the scene, so they just use their powers to force people to own up to their insurance and leave it at that. If you regularly read Pepipoo.com then you'd see threads where this happens all the time. So, the fact that it can happen means it is worth talking to the police in this case to see what they can do.

I believe a hit and run is called leaving the scene of an accident and an offence. You could probably add driving without due care and attention if you wished as the other party was driving at speed turning the wrong way into a one way street.

I had expected the police to perhaps make a house call before the damage was fixed to corroborate the events and send them to court. Nice easy win.

But no, nothing not even this S172 you talk about.

I know they're under staffed and generally do a good job but 5 minutes less in a kebab shop would have seen this done.

The S172 is just to identify the driver - same as they send when you get pinged by a speed cam. if they weren't planning on prosecuting and the other driver had confirmed the incident with their insurer then there would have been no reason to send the notice.

A hit and run involving injuries would probably have got more action from the police, but they're not going to have time to go after every prang, no matter how aggrieved the innocent party feels. Yes, leaving the scene is an offence, as is careless driving, but that means every single car park ding is technically an offence and the police simply don't have time for stuff that can realistically be resolved with an insurance claim.

But, posting an S172 out is an easy enough job for them, when one of the parties involved has developed selective amnesia - they don't have to pursue a prosecution, just identify the driver and let the insurance companies fight it out from there. 

I reported an incident last year I captured on dashcam, I followed it up with a complaint because of no contact from them.

I received a call from a Sergeant who was very nice and went on to explain (off the record) as we were chatting that on the particular day in question they had something like 19 officers on duty covering the whole of the district, 4 were tied up at an arson where someone had died, 2 were @ a serious RTA etc.

I was miffed as they promote the public doing there job for them etc. and the footage I sent was clear, concise and had damning evidence of a crime but I guess they just have to prioritise.

I have no issue with them prioritising things and dealing with the more serious crimes as opposed to inured assets (cars/vans)

In fact I've just had email from the SYP alerts thing asking which 2 things I would vote for to be prioritised out of the below!!

So I understand they can only do so much.

image.png.2aa7e1e9df68478bd34398494462d7cd.png

Edited by bmwf113.0d