marko530d

Highest mileage vehicle

Hi guys and gals 

Just wondering who on here has the highest mileage on there 5 series f10-f11 diesel or petrol and what big replacement item's have been changed along the way .... 

Looking at a 525d 3.0d with 153k owned 3 e60s sold 1 with nearly 170k ... :rolleyes:

Thanks 

Edited by marko530d

8 hours ago, Lennox said:

Mate has 186k on his 545i.

Given the OP asked about big replacements, I would guess than your mate has had the following done in that mileage 

a) the gearbox done

b) valve stem oil seals 

c) the upper timing chain to block gaskets

d) the vanos O rings

e) the cylinder head cover gaskets

f) the alternator support bracket oil seal

Oil leaks and the 6HP will kill off the N62 equipped E60s which is a pity as they are ULEZ complaint.

9 hours ago, Lennox said:

Mate has 186k on his 545i.

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk

That'll be an E60 or 61 and the OP wants to know about F10/11's

2013/63 LCI 520d SE here, bought at 33k in Feb 16, currently sat at 153k.

Only work done is as follows: 

1. Brake pads/discs

2. Tyres

3. Wiper blades

4. 3rd rear guibo donut

5. 3rd set of engine and gearbox mounts

6. Track rod ends (one had split, changed both)

7. Rear diff mount bushing

8. Gearbox service at 90k, next one due soon

9. EGR recall done

10. remapped and EGR delete by Enda Ward

11. 12,604 litres of BP diesel - average MPG (tank to tank) - 47mpg 

12. Oil Changes no less frequently than 9-10k miles (serviced by BMW as per the computer and I do an interim oil change myself)

it certainly feels like its asking for front and rear shocks soon, a job for after easter!

definitely my most favourite high mileage/motorway muncher after 2 golf's! 

Edited by apples12

16 minutes ago, apples12 said:

2013/63 LCI 520d SE here, bought at 33k in Feb 16, currently sat at 153k.

I’ve owned mine for much the same time as you’ve owned yours and it was bought with similar miles on the clock. I noticed today on the 4th anniversary of owning it I’ve done pretty much 20,000 miles in total since owning it. Very different to yours! 

The repeated engine mounts and propshaft coupling replacements are concerning though. Those and the diff mounts, I wonder if it’s all linked to a deeper issue somewhere? 

Everything else is fair wear and tare given the massive mileage you do.  Good shout regarding the oil changes. 

2 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

I’ve owned mine for much the same time as you’ve owned yours and it was bought with similar miles on the clock. I noticed today on the 4th anniversary of owning it I’ve done pretty much 20,000 miles in total since owning it. Very different to yours! 

The repeated engine mounts and propshaft coupling replacements are concerning though. Those and the diff mounts, I wonder if it’s all linked to a deeper issue somewhere? 

Everything else is fair wear and tare given the massive mileage you do.  Good shout regarding the oil changes. 

The initial change of mounts and guibo was an attempt by shitner under warranty to narrow down the cause of the fine vibration I had between 60-70ish mph, that was all around 55-60ish k, last lot were done in the last couple of months as I had excessive movement on one side of the engine, did the gearbo mount as it was only 20quid (febi) and no charge by the mechanic to fit as it literally was 3 bolts!

the rear diff mount splitting is actually quite a common job - more common on the f01 i believe

i have genuinely been astounded with how well this car has managed to ferry me up and down the m40 5 days a week and longer trips up to Aberdeen/Glasgow/Edinburgh. previous car's i've kept for 2-3 years tops, at 4 years now with this!

Only option I miss is folding seats (didn't know at the time it was an option! didn't even know what LCI was at the time!) 

only decision I have to make now is do I maintain this and get another 100k out of it or switch up to a G31 (definitely need the bigger boot space at the moment) Do I wait for a hybrid thanks to Birmingham shitty council deciding to implement a CAZ and likely move the goalposts in a few years tim?

It will definitely need suspension refreshing at some point this year, gearbox service, aux belts, lord knows how much life is left in the turbo and the dreaded chains. 

13 hours ago, Pedro79 said:

530d 171k for me. Bought 3 years ago on 136k

Any big items replaced how dose engine/gearbox feel. 

Is the 525d exact same engine with a detune or different injectors etc

My 525d (2.0)  has only done 142,000 miles, so not the highest mileage on here in any way.

Mechanical failures of the engine & gearbox - None. Zero. Nothing. The EGR cooler was replaced under last year's recall, but it hadn't failed when they replaced it.

All it has really needed was 2 rear suspension springs about 2 years ago. They all go, and they're an inexpensive fix.

I'm thinking of throwing some preventative money at it if I keep it much longer - which I probably will. It's a superb drive, powerful yet economical, comfortable, spacious (which means also it's a bit big). Fantastic car. By preventative, I specifically mean the (currently quiet) timing chain, HPFP (if that's still an issue on a 2013 car & not a waste of money) and auto transmission fluid change (overdue)!

Just looking on Autotrader now; if you placed little importance on mileage, £6k buys you some seriously nice F10's and F11's with the prerequisite (for some people) 6 cylinders - with a good level of equipment too. Six grand... :wacko:

9 hours ago, marko530d said:

Any big items replaced how dose engine/gearbox feel. 

Is the 525d exact same engine with a detune or different injectors etc

I had to replace snapped active anti roll bar at cost of 2.4k but that was bad luck with a pot hole. Changed all discs and pads last year and had gear box serviced. Sweet and smooth now. Also had remap upto 310bhp last year. Car is as sweet as anything really and my regular stop start commute in traffic and a road sees 37 mpg average. Over 50mpg easily on a long run. Best car I've ever owned by a long stretch and very quick when I'm in the mood. 

Same engine i think with a detune for 525d but sure someone else will confirm. 

6 minutes ago, Pedro79 said:

I had to replace snapped active anti roll bar at cost of 2.4k but that was bad luck with a pot hole. Changed all discs and pads last year and had gear box serviced. Sweet and smooth now. Also had remap upto 310bhp last year. Car is as sweet as anything really and my regular stop start commute in traffic and a road sees 37 mpg average. Over 50mpg easily on a long run. Best car I've ever owned by a long stretch and very quick when I'm in the mood. 

Same engine i think with a detune for 525d but sure someone else will confirm. 

Was that your 1st gearbox service at what mileage thanks 

I have left a deposit for the 525d 

Pick it up next week. 

At £6300 for a f10 seems a bargain to me alot of decent options too 

Having read afew people done their gearbox service done but recently watch a video at an indy's channel on youtibe advices dead against replacing the gearbox fluid.

I know ZF advice's to be changed every 40k miles i believe (correct me if i am wrong) i am totally torn on the idea.

1 hour ago, Erhan said:

Having read afew people done their gearbox service done but recently watch a video at an indy's channel on youtibe advices dead against replacing the gearbox fluid.

I know ZF advice's to be changed every 40k miles i believe (correct me if i am wrong) i am totally torn on the idea.

I think it's more like 80k

I doubt I'll ever get to that mileage. 

BMW so no. Others say yes. Do what you want. I'm sure there are plenty of stats backing each option ad valid. 

2 hours ago, marko530d said:

Pick it up next week. 

Enjoy. Loving mine, even though its the 20d with just the main package addons.

8 hours ago, Skynet5 said:

BMW so no. Others say yes. Do what you want. I'm sure there are plenty of stats backing each option ad valid. 

^This.

10 hours ago, Erhan said:

I know ZF advice's to be changed every 40k miles i believe (correct me if i am wrong)

That's my point I was making on the other thread, ZF will make money from us getting our transmissions serviced.

But on the other hand, they made the box so they should know best.

So I'm also

10 hours ago, Erhan said:

totally torn on the idea.

:unsure:

21 hours ago, marko530d said:

Pick it up next week. 

Yes first one. Done at about 160k. Big difference after. 

16 minutes ago, Pedro79 said:

Yes first one. Done at about 160k. Big difference after. 

Really 160k well might go for it .

What was cost if you dont mind me asking 

Edited by marko530d

13 hours ago, marko530d said:

Really 160k well might go for it .

What was cost if you dont mind me asking 

Not at all. It was about 390 plus vat I think from memory. Had brakes and service done at same time so big bill but smoother since.