Andyrt200

Anyone running the M5 lower grill in Sport bumper?

My spare bumper is ready for paint now after fixing a big hole in it & it would be nice for it to be a little different after all the effort I’ve put into get the bumper to look just like any other nice bumper!

The old grill has a couple of holes anyway

eflGGRr.jpg

I see some of the M5 grills have the sides blocked off but I need them open for the brake cooling ducts. 

This one https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F263893947914

looks reasonable.

I’ve not seen any that have the black vertical bar to divide the brake cooling duct from the radiator. Without talking the bumper off I can’t remember if the divider behind the grill connects to that vertical bar. 

Following as I’m about to do the same when the car goes into the body shop for the front bumper/bonnet respray 

Hi,

The item you reference on ebay is one I purchased as well at one point ready for when I did some bodywork/respray. Was in my collection of items and when it arrived it was a bit 'lighter' and 'flimsier' than the oem grille the bumper came with. A short while later, whilst moving stuff, it got caught relatively lightly and just snapped in half. It's made of a cheaper grade plastic and thus it's more 'brittle'. Had it remained intact and I'd fitted it, then I'd suspect a slightly larger stone or bit of road debris flying up and that would impact it, would also cause it to semi shatter. 

I went for the hexagon shaped universal sheet and my bodyshop cut it to size when fitting the new bumper and I'm more than happy with the subtle yet different look. It's significantly stronger too. 

I'll put a pic up once I download it off my camera and host it.

Cheers, Dennis!

1 hour ago, DennisCooper said:

Hi,

The item you reference on ebay is one I purchased as well at one point ready for when I did some bodywork/respray. Was in my collection of items and when it arrived it was a bit 'lighter' and 'flimsier' than the oem grille the bumper came with. A short while later, whilst moving stuff, it got caught relatively lightly and just snapped in half. It's made of a cheaper grade plastic and thus it's more 'brittle'. Had it remained intact and I'd fitted it, then I'd suspect a slightly larger stone or bit of road debris flying up and that would impact it, would also cause it to semi shatter. 

I went for the hexagon shaped universal sheet and my bodyshop cut it to size when fitting the new bumper and I'm more than happy with the subtle yet different look. It's significantly stronger too. 

I'll put a pic up once I download it off my camera and host it.

Cheers, Dennis!

Sounds good thanks Dennis, look forward to the pic :) 

I found this pic on eBay of the back of the side I was talking about. Te2bBTh.jpgWould be interested to see what your body shop did there Denis. 

Hi Andy,

Here's pictures;

IMG_20190222_161757_zpsjqfeycyr.jpg

IMG_20190222_161748_zpskbrcrc6z.jpg

I bought the OEM bumper and had it in storage and didn't really look at it much. I took off the oem grille, T bar, parking sensors, trims etc and vaguely recall there was enough of the rear side to ensure the Hexagon grille could be cut to shape and affixed all round to be flush. I suspect it was screwed and glued into place, but not 100% sure as I was at home with my feet up as all the work was done !

I've changed quite a bit on my front end, a headlamp upgrade & a little project I have in mind for the badge on the bonnet are on the list for future changes :)

Cheers, Dennis!

13 hours ago, DennisCooper said:

Hi Andy,

Here's pictures;

IMG_20190222_161757_zpsjqfeycyr.jpg

IMG_20190222_161748_zpskbrcrc6z.jpg

I bought the OEM bumper and had it in storage and didn't really look at it much. I took off the oem grille, T bar, parking sensors, trims etc and vaguely recall there was enough of the rear side to ensure the Hexagon grille could be cut to shape and affixed all round to be flush. I suspect it was screwed and glued into place, but not 100% sure as I was at home with my feet up as all the work was done !

I've changed quite a bit on my front end, a headlamp upgrade & a little project I have in mind for the badge on the bonnet are on the list for future changes :)

Cheers, Dennis!

Looks good! Nice spoiler / splitter too, is that a custom one? Looks different too the ones available on eBay. 

I guess that mesh must bend enough for the slight curve of the bumper, yours looks like its a good tight fit along the bottom edge. 

I don’t think it could be screwed on, along the bottom anyway, the screws would go right through & be visible 

W81tkGr.jpg

Must be glued on. 

I don’t know how the eBay M5 grills attach along the bottom either thinking about it, there are little pins sticking out of the bumper, but they don’t look like they hold it back, more for vertical placement.

Getting the mesh fixed on shouldn’t be too bad as there is plenty of room to make brackets to hold it. Its more the brake cooling ducts I’m wondering about as they clipped directly to the back of the Sport grill:

Te2bBTh.jpg

There are some slightly rusty screw holes visible in that picture that haven’t got anything to attach to on the back of my bumper so there are obviously some other bits in there too. It’s been many years since I took the front bumper off so can’t remember, probably just one of those things you need too just strip down then work our rather than planning too much! 

I'm just going for the M5 one via Cotswolds BMW @Andyrt200... That looks like the sides of the grille are blanked a bit whereas the ebay one you linked too is open right across.

Do you think it makes enough difference to the brakes etc? 

2 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

I'm just going for the M5 one via Cotswolds BMW @Andyrt200... That looks like the sides of the grille are blanked a bit whereas the ebay one you linked too is open right across.

How much from Cotswolds Dan? Should come with all the fittings as well. 

The ebay link to a grille you sent me a while ago was open all the way across  - I think that looks better. 

Edited by Loadmaster

I have an M5 one fitted. I just drilled out the sides:

holes.thumb.jpg.16c44c281a9f7fb64d124f103f166e8d.jpg

It's a bit rough up close, but looks ok as a whole:

grill.thumb.jpg.2140ac6cd8e150951781b042a9169a27.jpg

People often port them, personally I preferred a subtler look, and I am pretty sure the total hole area is larger than a ported version.

Cheers

Edited by sinner
spelling betterer

34 minutes ago, sinner said:

I have an M5 one fitted. I just drilled out the sides:

holes.thumb.jpg.16c44c281a9f7fb64d124f103f166e8d.jpg

It's a bit rough up close, but looks ok as a whole:

grill.thumb.jpg.2140ac6cd8e150951781b042a9169a27.jpg

People often port them, personally I preferred a subtler look, and I am pretty sure the total hole are is larger than a ported version.

Cheers

I was wondering about drilling out the holes like that. I wonder if that takes longer than mucking about making a sheet fit?! 

I guess the M5 has different cooling ducts then, it must have some it needs them a lot more! 
I have a feeling they used the gap next to the fog light. I wonder where the alternator cooling comes from then though?

I guess that real M5 grill still hasn’t actually got the fixings on the back for the cooling ducts if they aren’t there on the M5?

I agree, the ported ones don’t do it for me either: 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F173398709438

Better in black than silver but your looks better still! 

4 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Yes do let us know how much that is. 
The sides do need opening up, sinners way is good. 

3 hours ago, Loadmaster said:

How much from Cotswolds Dan? Should come with all the fittings as well. 

The ebay link to a grille you sent me a while ago was open all the way across  - I think that looks better. 

Cheap plastic though I think pal; would rather stick to OEM personally

Re price, its in the quote I asked on the Cotswolds section; all info in there, but dont know re fixings sorry

1 hour ago, Andyrt200 said:

Yes do let us know how much that is. 
The sides do need opening up, sinners way is good. 

Yeah, think I’ll do that. Could use my dremmel to make a neat job of it.

I’ll update with pics once I’ve got it ordered and delivered from Cotswolds BMW

1 hour ago, Andyrt200 said:

I was wondering about drilling out the holes like that. I wonder if that takes longer than mucking about making a sheet fit?! 

I guess the M5 has different cooling ducts then, it must have some it needs them a lot more! 
I have a feeling they used the gap next to the fog light. I wonder where the alternator cooling comes from then though?

I guess that real M5 grill still hasn’t actually got the fixings on the back for the cooling ducts if they aren’t there on the M5?

I agree, the ported ones don’t do it for me either: 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F173398709438

Better in black than silver but your looks better still! 

Not keen on the ported grilles myself either, looks like they should have fog lights fitted :lol: 

5 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Cheap plastic though I think pal; would rather stick to OEM personally

Re price, its in the quote I asked on the Cotswolds section; all info in there, but dont know re fixings sorry

Which part number is it within your multi part quote e-mail?

38 minutes ago, Loadmaster said:

Which part number is it within your multi part quote e-mail?

This Keith: 51112496285

14 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

This Keith: 51112496285

Thanks Dan - just called my local Vines and they quoted £26.77 plus the VAT. How does that compare with Cotswold's price? It comes with clips/fixings too. But, they couldn't order me one because it must be done against an E39 M5 VIN number, so I can't buy one!!!  :twisted:. Bit daft that I think. 

So, I need to "borrow" a VIN number from a friendly forum E39 M5 owner...  :lol: 

13 minutes ago, Loadmaster said:

Thanks Dan - just called my local Vines and they quoted £26.77 plus the VAT. How does that compare with Cotswold's price? It comes with clips/fixings too. But, they couldn't order me one because it must be done against an E39 M5 VIN number, so I can't buy one!!!  :twisted:. Bit daft that I think. 

So, I need to "borrow" a VIN number from a friendly forum E39 M5 owner...  :lol: 

About same price Keith, but they also have no issues ordering it, so no idea why Vines are playing awkward!

Just ask @cotswoldbmwmini to order you one, think it comes from BMW Germany though pal, so 7-10 day delivery etc

I’ll be ordering all the parts on Monday when I’m back home etc

11 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

About same price Keith, but they also have no issues ordering it, so no idea why Vines are playing awkward!

Just ask @cotswoldbmwmini to order you one, think it comes from BMW Germany though pal, so 7-10 day delivery etc

I’ll be ordering all the parts on Monday when I’m back home etc

I just got off the phone to Cotswold. Was initially told that can only be ordered against VIN for an M5 :roll:, but after a few minutes the guy 'bucked the system' and said was okay to order without the M5 VIN!

Total price with discount, VAT and P&P is £36.31.  I could try to persuade Vines to do the same, but because the price is only £4 more through Cotswolds, even with postage (the part is of course discounted as well) I really can't be arsed. 

Edited by Loadmaster

On 12/02/2020 at 16:02, d_a_n1979 said:

Yeah, think I’ll do that. Could use my dremmel to make a neat job of it.

I would want to do the same, but I think probably would drill first for round hole, cut corner to corner with dremmel & then find a wood chisel that fitted well in the square & chop up nice & tight to the bar from the front. 

Kind of prefer Denis’s hexagons though, think I’ll try cutting everything off the original grill & attaching the hexagon sheet to that. If it looks pants I can always just get a proper M5 one!

10 hours ago, Andyrt200 said:

I would want to do the same, but I think probably would drill first for round hole, cut corner to corner with dremmel & then find a wood chisel that fitted well in the square & chop up nice & tight to the bar from the front. 

Kind of prefer Denis’s hexagons though, think I’ll try cutting everything off the original grill & attaching the hexagon sheet to that. If it looks pants I can always just get a proper M5 one!

I’ll take pics of it when it lands so you can see it in all its glory & get an idea of what can be done.

TBH I might just leave it as is though.. Can’t really see what difference it’ll make in normal day to day driving 

1 hour ago, d_a_n1979 said:

I’ll take pics of it when it lands so you can see it in all its glory & get an idea of what can be done.

TBH I might just leave it as is though.. Can’t really see what difference it’ll make in normal day to day driving 

That would be good, thanks. 

As BMW saw fit to put them in I’d rather keep them open. My other half managed to boil the fluid on a wet track in the TVR as that didn’t have any vents (I made some after, it just give you a bit more confidence). It as much about weight as speed other people were out on there own & were fine she had an instructor with her.

The touring E39 obviously has the capacity to carry a big load as well as being a heavy car it’s self. You’re probably going to be taking it easy with a load of logs in the back but if you have a few power lifting mates out with you it could be a bit different ;) 

Mind you I’m fairly sure my E34 535i didn’t have any vents & I used to make a lot more use of the available power when I was in my 20s & I didn’t have any problem in that on the road. 

I wonder if the E39 520s have cooling ducts? 

You’d probably be fine with them blocked really, BMW obviously sell cars all over the world, so possibly there’re for the hotter countries, safe to say they’re not needed at the moment!