Spreadly

HS2 vs Your Beema.

I think the money could be better spent creating manufacturing in the North. Some proper grafters up there, give them something to go at. 

Should be a Northern Labour only clause in the contract.

Would prefer to see the HS3 project which is Liverpool to Leeds - this currently takes about 2 hours by train to do about 60 miles! 

I can already get from Macclesfield to Euston to 1hr 45 mins - an extra 10 mins shaved off this for HS2 is not worth having. 

The only necessity for it is if the current or future existing tracks are at capacity. 

It's a great train of thought.......

Being a kid that enjoyed the bullet trains on Japan I would support.

The faster we get there, the more often we will travel and increase the velocity and share of money in the economy.

My only issue is that they aren't going far enough. Aberdeen, Edinburgh and Glasgow should linked up too.

As someone who works in the rail industry, I'm not alone in thinking that this is a truly biblical waste of money on epic proportions.

We would be far better spending money sorting out the current rail network before we build another one that won't get looked after or have money spent on it in the future

They will need a swathe of land a 100m wide to build the thing.  Land isn't cheap.

It costs us ~£10 million a mile to build a railway.

As someone who works in the rail industry, I'm not alone in thinking that this is a truly biblical waste of money on epic proportions.

We would be far better spending money sorting out the current rail network before we build another one that won't get looked after or have money spent on it in the future

They will need a swathe of land a 100m wide to build the thing.  Land isn't cheap.

It costs us ~£10 million a mile to build a railway.
I'm with you on this. I think it would be much better spent improving the current rail infrastructure, which in some places is simply appalling. What makes it worse, is it's not cheap to get a train now, so imagine the ticket price of a HS2 ride

Everytime I travel to Europe, I can't get over how much better most of their rail system is compared to ours.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Spreadly said:

Everytime I travel to Europe, I can't get over how much better most of their rail system is compared to ours.

Europe was flattened after WW2, so when they started to rebuild the railways, the Engineer turned to his colleague and asked for a ruler when deciding the route between A and B.

Also Europe can have double decker carriages as they do not have the low Victorian bridges and tunnels to negotiate so can carry more passengers per train.

Edited by E39mad

Apparently, but only a rumour is that, this is one of the reasons why Javid resigned today, because of the budget of HS2. 

Also apparently Javid was the second shortest (not in height, but serving) Chancellor of the Exchequer. The first one died in office. 

Edited by nealpina

I don't understand the need for a quicker journey time from London to Birmingham and then Manchester or Leeds....

People keep bleating on about the Northern Powerhouse but what the hell is the Northern Powerhouse....? Manufacturing? Financial Services? Digital Services? Farming? Exactly what is it?

Speeding up journey times for commuters is all well and good but costs are always going to be prohibitive .... And shaving 20 minutes of a journey time is not going to set the world alight... improving roads and getting freight on to the railways would be a better option... the amount of productivity that is lost due to road traffic delays will ALWAYS be more than that gained by reducing journey times in to and out of London to Birmingham and beyond ....

Improving local infrastructure and local rail links would encourage people to get off the roads - but the costs will need to be subsidized as currently most rail journey costs encourage the use of cars....unless you manage to want to book half a year in advance and can only travel at eleventy 65 and a half on the 6th Surfsday of the month....

Increasing the size of the current trains especially for local commuting journeys would help as lack of capacity is often cited by people preferring to drive....

For me trying to get to London by rail is crazy... Bristol Parkway is about 25 miles away and to get the 7.30am train I have to leave home before 6am as the roads are a nightmare even at that time of the day during the week... Once at Parkway it's just under £8 for the day to park and then getting to the City using the train and underground it usually comes to around £200-£240 for a day return....

HS2 is just another vanity project by a political system that is failing the people it represents....

It's also another example of uncontrolled public spending which lacks any urgency of construction companies to actually get the work completed.... (Add in Smart Motorways to this category as well...)

I believe the rationale is not so much the journey time (as 10 minutes or whatever is neither here or there) but that in having a new high speed line the capacity for local trains is increased on the existing lines and thus improving things for provincial traffic.

That said the issue with the UK is travel east/ west rather than north/ south IMO.

19 hours ago, Seesure said:

I don't understand the need for a quicker journey time from London to Birmingham

I do understand the need for a quicker journey time from Birmingham to London.

Getting out of Birmingham quickly has got to be a good thing.

It is quite worrying that HS2 is going ahead given the cost, how can Boris not see that?

1 hour ago, 535i Andrew said:

It is quite worrying that HS2 is going ahead given the cost, how can Boris not see that?

I imagine it’s because Dominic has told him it will show the north how much he ‘cares’ about them.