muzzer79

Main Dealer Service Price

Hi

I have a 2017 G31 520d Touring. It's coming up to it's second service, at 32k miles.

Does anyone have an idea of cost for that service?

Reason I ask is that I looked at the local dealer's website which quoted £427 for the most expensive service (which I'd expect to be an 'Inspection 2' service, at the third service interval)

However, the guy I spoke to at the dealer to book it in says it needs a 'major service' which he said was £750.

This seems extremely steep, especially as I was advised not to buy the service pack with the car as I "wouldn't need it" due to the service intervals meaning I wouldn't get value for money.

I'm sure it's just a mistake (they're checking) but thought I'd ask....

Be aware that some of the main dealers quote a higher price than BMW.co.uk

I always check first because the dealers rapidly come down to the BMW price when challenged.

If anyone has a BlueLight Card (999 emergency services discount) it get 10% off at any BMW main dealer

Is it also coming up towards a brake fluid change (3 years IIRC) and have they perhaps included that?

2 hours ago, Boba said:

Is it also coming up towards a brake fluid change (3 years IIRC) and have they perhaps included that?

Brake fluid change is normally every 2 years

https://www.bmw.co.uk/en/topics/owners/service-workshop/servicing/service-online-booking.html

Select your nearest dealer assuming you trust them. Enter reg number and mileage and you should get a list of service items and the cost.

The above website will also confirm if there is any service pack on the car too and take that into account on the price of the services quoted.

Boba is right, once the car hits 3 years old, its time for its first brake fluid change (£80.22 for my F10 at my local dealer) and then every two years after that.

It would be interesting to know what the cars needs serviced according to the link above.

4 hours ago, Boba said:

2 hours ago, ally said:

Brake fluid change is normally every 2 years

G30 brake fluid change is 3 years then every 2 years thereafter so OP’s will be due 2020 sometime.

5 minutes ago, Boba said:

G30 brake fluid change is 3 years then every 2 years thereafter so OP’s will be due 2020 sometime.

Ah, of course 

19 minutes ago, Boba said:

And just as an extra poke in the eye, the clock starts from date of build, not date of first registration **

This is fair enough really as the ageing starts when the system is first filled (true for the oil too).

**AFAIK BMW didn’t used to count it like this, my earlier G31 went from first reg so the OP’s car likely does too, but my current 2019-reg has its clock running from its 2018 build date :angry: .

This is slightly interesting as if the service pack t’s & c’s are unchanged you’ll stand a better chance of fitting more into the first 3 years I suppose.

Edited by Boba

Very true. BMW are absolutely rigid on the mileage too. I had mine serviced about 2k miles before it was due as per the indicator. I booked in and turned up at 35986 miles. The service desk said it wasn't due but I argued that I was taking the car to Spain and Portugal the next week and would be way past the service interval when I got back. They were fine with that and it was included in the plan. As soon as the mileage goes over 36k, even by one mile, the service pack expires. 

11 hours ago, Boba said:

And just as an extra poke in the eye, the clock starts from date of build, not date of first registration **

This is fair enough really as the ageing starts when the system is first filled (true for the oil too).

**AFAIK BMW didn’t used to count it like this, my earlier G31 went from first reg so the OP’s car likely does too, but my current 2019-reg has its clock running from its 2018 build date :angry: .

This is slightly interesting as if the service pack t’s & c’s are unchanged you’ll stand a better chance of fitting more into the first 3 years I suppose.

That explains why my G30 shows it's first brake fluid change due in April but car was registered in Nov 2017

I had a major service done just before Xmas on my G30. I booked online whilst there was the 25% off Black Friday offer.

When I got to the dealers, they found my booking and checked the car in. The service assistant then said that'll be £705!! (£585 for the major service and £120 for the standard scope fee). I told them I had the 25% off Black Friday offer, which was £440, but they had no information regarding this. Fortunately, I took a screen capture on my mobile when I made the booking (I never received an email to confirm my booking). The standard scope had already been included in the online price which was £30 so massive difference compared to what the dealers quoted me.

Surely £120 is a remarkably high price for the ‘standard scope’. Last times I’ve been in it was around £25-ish. AFAIK all it includes is reading the fault codes, clearing if required, and hoping there are a few decent faults listed to give you a hefty quote for if out of warranty. Not much more than plugging into the OBD which they do anyway to update the service record on the car. Takes me 5 minutes at home to read/clear codes.

Does anyone know if there’s anything else included in the ‘standard scope’?

Edited by Boba

I have just found that the prices on the BMW service website are a lot more expensive than booking directly on your local dealers website.

For eg:

Sytner Chigwell

Brake fluid check (inc standard scope)

£69.70 vs £94.74

Major Service (inc standard scope)

£441.97 vs £595.29 :shock: (£153 difference!!!!!!)

14 hours ago, Hurly_Dog said:

36k miles or 3rd birthday, whichever is sooner.

The "new" service packs i.e. "Pay Monthly Service Plan" should be valid for 2 services without mileage or age limits and an MOT (well that is what I have in writing from them!) .............

14 hours ago, sjak92 said:

Service pack expires at 30k miles on G30’s

That's crap!

When mine was new the original owner paid for a 5 year, 50,000 mile pack.  Which I benefited from very well. to the tune of over £500! ^_^

Sign of the times I suppose.

23 hours ago, muzzer79 said:

Hi

I have a 2017 G31 520d Touring. It's coming up to it's second service, at 32k miles.

Does anyone have an idea of cost for that service?

Reason I ask is that I looked at the local dealer's website which quoted £427 for the most expensive service (which I'd expect to be an 'Inspection 2' service, at the third service interval)

However, the guy I spoke to at the dealer to book it in says it needs a 'major service' which he said was £750.

This seems extremely steep, especially as I was advised not to buy the service pack with the car as I "wouldn't need it" due to the service intervals meaning I wouldn't get value for money.

I'm sure it's just a mistake (they're checking) but thought I'd ask....

Last Saturday I checked the price for a Full service at Lexus Glasgow, this includes spark plugs change (6-off) and rear diff oil, the price is £700! You can do Essential Major Service (basically an oil change and lots of checks) and that would be £440!

I will be buying all the parts from Lexus (comes at £210, including spark plugs and rear diff oil) and will be doing service somewhere privately! 

So BMW £750 seems there on a par with other brands but I guess there is no spark plugs for you so that might be expensive. What will they actually do for Major Service at BMW?

5 minutes ago, Vlady said:

.... (comes at £210, including spark plugs and rear diff oil)

What will they actually do for Major Service at BMW?

Well I wouldn’t think they’d be anywhere near the rear diff on even a major service!

On 2/11/2020 at 8:28 PM, 535i Andrew said:

https://www.bmw.co.uk/en/topics/owners/service-workshop/servicing/service-online-booking.html

Select your nearest dealer assuming you trust them. Enter reg number and mileage and you should get a list of service items and the cost.

The above website will also confirm if there is any service pack on the car too and take that into account on the price of the services quoted.

Boba is right, once the car hits 3 years old, its time for its first brake fluid change (£80.22 for my F10 at my local dealer) and then every two years after that.

It would be interesting to know what the cars needs serviced according to the link above.

Thanks all

That website comes up with 4 levels of service:

Vehicle check service - £144

Oil service - £233

Oil service with microfilter - £358

Oil service with microfilter, air filter and fuel filter - £572

So, if I need the most expensive service, it should be £572, not £750

Now, they said it was due a brake fluid change (£81 on the website)  but even adding that would only take me to £650

Is it right though that it needs the biggest service at year 3 and 32k miles?  Considering my first service was an oil service, I thought I'd be on the 'second level' service before hitting the major one in one or two services' time?

The dealer is supposed to call me back with a verified price but naturally they haven't.....:rolleyes:

To top it off aswell, poxy rear brake pad warning light came on this afternoon, so that needs doing too!  :lol:

34 minutes ago, muzzer79 said:

To top it off aswell, poxy rear brake pad warning light came on this afternoon, so that needs doing too!  :lol:

32k miles so probably about right.

They are certainly adding on the G30 factor as the same jobs on an F10 are much cheaper.

Vehicle check price is doubled and the oil and micro filter is about £70-80 more just for the premium of the current model. 

Brake bleed price is about right. 

Standard scope on the G32 is £39.60. Are you sure they're not mixing up the "Vehicle Check" which is just over £120?

@535i Andrew, remember that many of these Gxx cars are still under 3 years old so don't qualify for the "Value" servicing yet that you enjoy on the F10 (cars over 4 years old). 

9 hours ago, Matthew Ashton said:

@535i Andrew, remember that many of these Gxx cars are still under 3 years old so don't qualify for the "Value" servicing yet that you enjoy on the F10 (cars over 4 years old). 

Yes I’m aware of that, but the same technician could change the oil on a G30 using the same tools and in the same workshop space as when she/he changes the oil on my car. 

The technician doesn’t get paid anymore, the service advisor doesn’t get paid any more. The workshop overheads don’t change.

Its purely a new car premium or greed if you like.