marko530d

High mileage 525d 3.0d advice

Hi guys looking to buy a 2011 525d (3.0d)msport with 153k on the clock anything I should look out for do you think am mad I know these engines do mega miles thanks mark 

Does seem cheap doesn't it. 

Evidence of service history? 

Any big items recently done? 

I guess at that mileage big things can and will go wrong soon and cost a fortune to fix, hence the price? 

Lots of regular oil changes as in half the service interval stipulated by BMW. Solid engine shouldn't give any issues if it's been looked after.

More likely to get the F10 issues resulting from blocked scuttle drains including the yellow grommet plenum chamber being blocked up, rust on the doors and leaky air con condensers.

The early F10s have trade values of less than £5k now, especially the 520d with its non ULEZ friendly engine.

Messaged seller about service history  and if any gearbox work has been done looks well in photos few things 

Would this be online service history 

Gearbox 8 speed auto reliability 

Timing chain issues known on 2.0d 

Egr recalls 

Here's a video hes uploaded 

Edited by marko530d

as far as i know timing chain issue was on 3 liter engines too but not as common as the 2 liter.

a few people complained about the steering on early f10s ie pulling to left or right no matter how many times the car is tracked so if you test drive watchout for that.

He did say it comes with his own personal 3 months warranty. 

Am 3 hours away from it in Newcastle so nipping around to see it ain't easy with work. 

Edited by marko530d

It's cheap because of the mileage and because it's a Euro 5 engine. These are not ULEZ exempt so factor that in. May end up costing you more than it's worth once all these zones kick in. Dependant on where you live and where you'll be driving.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I think the price is a shade high for the year and mileage, but just normal dealer pricing. Probably could go in a bit lower. WBAC comes in at around £4750 so quite a big mark up from auction I guess. Dealer warranty is advertised as 3 months driver warranty which would only cover road legal problems, not engine/gearbox/cosmetic faults unless it won’t go.

Having said that, my last 528 was on 150k miles and had only wanted a wheel bearing in 3 years or so. If looked after a little the engines are pretty bulletproof. The gearbox might give problems sometime at that age but you could take out a warranty. Things to be concerned about are really running gear and electrics I’d say - suspension, axles, steering, bearings and take a careful look that everything electrical works as fixing those could be costly.

What mileage do you expect to put on it? At 150k just now I’d expect a few bills on the above to be not too far off.

About 5k a year already got him down to £6300 but I haven't seen car up close yet 

Am up north in Newcastle would be mainly rural areas of driving 

We already own a 2009 mk6 golf 2.0 tdi and a 2012 b8.5 audi a4 2.0 tdi which have been faultless cars over 3 years.

The golf would be going if purchased. 

Edited by marko530d

Service history on early F10's is still via inky stamp in service book.  On board recording on the idrive of service history can be coded to the car (early F10s) but it needs a BMW dealer to upload it to it.

An N57 with a rattling chain is really very rare, probably no more common than any other BMW timing chain engine obviously except the N47.

The ZF 8HP auto is proving more reliable than the 6HP inflicted on the E60s.

Yes look for evidence of EGR recalls having been done as it will be affected.  Possible haggling point?

Spoken to dealer today and car has full service history he has known vehicle for many years there is no evidence of gearbox work there but says its fine and has no issues and says he will can video call me tomorrow and walk me around car. 

Very tempted to get into a f10 for £6300

I have owned a few e60s and e90s so am aware there will be the bmw problems that come with bmws 

Bong bong bong 

Edited by marko530d

6 minutes ago, marko530d said:

I have owned a few e60s

You have my sympathies. :ph34r:

6 minutes ago, marko530d said:

so am away there will be the bmw problems that come with bmws 

Bong bong bong 

The problems with the F10 aren’t “bong” related.  ;)

1 hour ago, marko530d said:

Hope the dreaded e clutch fault dont appear like my 2009 530d but I know it's a risk with 153k miles...

Sounds familiar. :(

Hence the looking at F10s I guess? 

Hi guys looking to buy a 2011 525d (3.0d)msport with 153k on the clock anything I should look out for do you think am mad I know these engines do mega miles thanks mark 

Isn't 525d a 2.0twinturbo, 4 cilinder?

34 minutes ago, Linhares said:

Isn't 525d a 2.0twinturbo, 4 cilinder?

No, the early (2010-2011) F10 525d had a six cylinder engine, N57 just de tuned from the 530d N57 engine.  In 525d form it would be fairly robust as its been de-stressed by reducing power output.

The later 525d were a tweaked version of the twin turbo N47 that first appeared in the E87 123d.  Good engine, first diesel to get 100 bhp per litre displacement but for any owner you need to factor in the possibility of chains rattling and the associated four figure bill to rectify.

37 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

, N57 just de tuned from the 530d N57 engine.  In 525d form it would be fairly robust as its been de-stressed by reducing power output

Good point 

Edited by marko530d

It's been a great car audi will be handing it down to the wife.

Something about BMW's that an Audi just dont give ... :ph34r:

(Its not reliability) :D

Edited by marko530d