falcodub

Wiper mechanism

Evening all

My wiper mechanism broke around a month ago. Assume it was the original on 210k. UK car so half of that must of been in the rain!

Replacement was with a 120k mile old complete mechanism and a month later that dies. 

Are they just a horrendous design or is there something I'm missing?!

Both times it's the passenger side cup and ball that has separated. 

I am collecting another mechanism tomorrow so 3rd time lucky. 

Probably pick up another spare for next month! 

Anything I can do to extend the lifespan of it and stop it leaving me high and not dry?

Cheers

Luck of the draw I guess, it's not something I've seen crop up as a common issue...

Might be worth carrying a bottle of RainX in the boot of your car should it happen again, it will help clear the windscreen as long as you are moving... 

It's a plastic ball joint and it wears out.  I pulled it back together and rattled a 5mm drill through the lot - double nut on the end up stop it unwinding but because the joint is now worn enough to fall apart it'll wear quicker.  It's holding on though (a year later!).

18 hours ago, Dbcrd said:

Try this 

Second this. Buy a new arm and replace it. I did it about 4 years ago. However it was only the passenger side wiper that stopped working, the driver's side kept going until it was tangled together with the other side.

Thanks, you’ve reminded me I really must fit that new bar I got BEFORE the old one falls off. 

On 11/02/2020 at 14:01, Dbcrd said:

Try this 

Good fitting tips :)