AlexGSi2000

V8 Drag Link / Centre Tie Rod.

Afternoon,

Im currently looking to purchase a replacement centre drag link / tie rod for the V8.

From Real OEM, it seems there may be two versions;

32211096060 - RHD

32211096059 - LHD

Almost all of the ones I have seen online on various sites list the LHD part number. My question being - are they both the same part?

I have found one listed on ebay that has both part numbers listed.

Many thanks!

They are different. One of the two joints (for the pitman arm or the idler arm) only rotates, whereas the other one is free to move around like a typical ball joint. So they aren't symmetrical (hence left and right hand drive versions) and need to be fitted the correct way around. The TRW one on my M5 is conveniently stamped L and R, as was the old one I took off.

Edited by THe39M5

2 hours ago, THe39M5 said:

They are different. One of the two joints (for the pitman arm or the idler arm) only rotates, whereas the other one is free to move around like a typical ball joint. So they aren't symmetrical (hence left and right hand drive versions) and need to be fitted the correct way around. The TRW one on my M5 is conveniently stamped L and R, as was the old one I took off.

Just the info I was after - thanks!

Typically the LHD ones are cheaper, needs to be done I guess as the steering feels a little vague. When I stress the drag-link, one of the ball joints (on the nearside) knocks, so will hopefully tighten things up a little.

Edited by AlexGSi2000