stefan2m

E61 rear pulls on accelerating/decelerating

Problem... I bought my E61 last summer, did not drive weird, just some clunks from the front drop links.

After a few months my steering wheel gradually went from center to off center (to the left, enough to trigger a fault for the steering angle sensor), while the rear pulls to the left on acceleration, and when I release the pedal it 'bounces' back to the right; feels unsettled, but when cruising it drives perfectly straight.

Put it on a lift, no detectable play and bushings/ball joints all look fine too... front and rear, just the front drop links.

Then on taking a hard left corner a slight clunky feeling (once) and the steering wheel was centered again + pulling gone... baffled!

Still could not find any play on the control arm bushings or ball joints on a lift... no problems for two months, until yesterday, after braking hard repeatedly (new rear rotors/pads/shoes, needed bedding in, replaced front drop links as well), and after a few times of hard braking suddenly the problem is back!

Insides of both rear tires are a lot warmer to the touch than the middle and outsides, so alignment is affected... rear camber is always noticeable negative on BMW's, but a bit more than normal now and toe in; right rear wheel seems worse than left rear wheel.

I don't know where to look anymore and thought I would open a topic before loading the parts cannon with new control arms and alignment bolts.

All I can think of is manually checking the alignment bolts are tight, but on visual inspection they appear to be fine.

For the E61, as it has air suspension on the rear. You have to deflate the airbags to truly check the suspension bushes - this is because the air bags always keep the arms under tension, which means you can't tell if a bush has gone. Usually the Rose joint is the one that goes. 

I had a similar issue on my E60 albeit more subtle than yours. The bushes can be a PITA; you need a decent extraction tool. I am sure the likes of @dj1233 @GoNz0 to name, but two will have more experience on these. I think there is a different replacement procedure between the E60 and E61, and access is different on the latter. When I researched replacing mine, I recall something along those lines.

EDIT: D'oh, I should learn to read, I see @dj1233 pointed out the difference with the E61 having air suspension.

Edited by Changy

Well... I think I might have found my problem. How the :!: did the previous owner get this through inspection less than a year ago, must have been one friendly inspector!

A5EE92BB-21EF-41B3-B134-5D2ECECB2424.jpeg

1BAEFF70-4F75-458C-89DD-61F10F1DA63E.jpeg

I was surprised how shot my e39 sub frame bushes were and that passed an MOT not to long before but they are hidden from view.

Those do look shot even at a glance though i suppose if they hadn't split at the test you might miss them?