rewast

hids are confusing

Hey all, I bought a hid kit from hids4u and i'm totally baffled!

The kit itself makes sense up to a point where the plug on the kit doesnt match the power plug on the back of the light unit. I thought that they may of sent me the wrong one. But after sending a photo of the two plugs, one from the kit and one on the car. The help person said that i have to leave the power plug in situ and take the cables out from the part that actually goes into the h1 bulb itself. This doesn't seem plug and play and i'm not sure it's right.

Has anyone else done this and can confirm this is the approach. Surely if I have to by the kit specifically for my car, it would make more sense for the to use the same bmw plug and let me jjust plug it straight in???

IMG_20200202_194510.jpg

IMG_20200202_194525.jpg

The socket of the HID kit looks like an E39 type connector; getting some E39 plugs with tails and attaching some appropriately sized bullet connectors to go into the E34 plug would seem to be the way ahead.

If the kit was sold as "plug and play", then you can just return it and ask for a refund, because clearly that's an incorrect socket.

As for taking out cables, splicing wires, etc, it's a bit more work involved, but clearly that's not what you paid for, so you can easily ask for your money back.

You won't find any generic HID kit that won't require some form of splicing.

What your supposed to do is make a hole in the headlamp rear cap and using the grommet supplied with the kit, connect/splice the wiring in the cap to the the +/- wiring of the kit. These two wires will come back out of the lamp, down to the hid ballast unit and then back to the actual bulb in the headlight through the same grommet.  Four wires in total are used and the original yellow loom plug connects in the same manner to the lamp cap as oem. 

In short the splice/join/connection is done inside the headlight at the cap.

You should be able to complete if your handy, within an hour or so and with minimal tools required. 

No other way to do it I'm afraid unless you go bespoke. 

I would obtain two additional dipped beam backing caps to modify.  Also, the connectors shown in your image are super seal IP67 connectors which are again a generic waterproof loom plug/connector.  These may need to be cut off to effect the splice.

As Five-Oh says, and how I did it in the pictures I put up in the other thread and mentioned 'Mostly Plug & Play'

I would think the BMW plugs are not available and unique to BMW maybe. 

2 hours ago, Sarnie said:

As Five-Oh says, and how I did it in the pictures I put up in the other thread and mentioned 'Mostly Plug & Play'

I would think the BMW plugs are not available and unique to BMW maybe. 

I've bought the same kit as yours and where yours has two cables loose, mine has a two pin plug. I'm so confused as to whether they sent me the right one... I don't under stand where you're meant to plug the power in

That two pin female socket is your power in. Cut it off and join (as to your preference) as normal or obtain 2 Male plugs, though I doubt you'll have enough room inside the headlight for this. You may have the Male plugs already supplied in the kit.

20200204-185929.jpg

You'll also have to modify or cut off the terminals inside the cap for the yellow and brown wires. These are the two wires that will join to the two cut off from the 2 pin socket. 

Alternatively,  cut off the oem yellow loom plug, and join direct to the wires at the 2 pin socket (from the kit). This negates the need for a join inside the cap. This method looses originality and is not as neat. Returning back to standard quickly is awkward also.

Edited by FIVE-OH