Andyrt200

eBay Sport fog lights

Are they any good?

Need a N/S one but the breakers don’t have any, no used ones on eBay either, there are lots of copies though for about £20 so am thinking of getting one of those. 

Don’t really need it to work very well, it’s not like the spread of light is that important as they hardly ever get turned on. Just needs to fill the hole in & look ok. 

Used these on my previous E39 Andy; worked fine: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bmw-E46-E39-M-Sport-M3-M5-Fog-Lights-Lamps-Grilles-Set-Pair-Hb4-Bulbs/162947430625?fits=Car+Make%3ABMW&hash=item25f06c78e1:g:3nYAAOSwxrlaqnoC

Like you said, they rarely get used.

Genuine ones are bloody pricey, c£120 each IIRC

Considering how poor the genuine items are it’s a no brainer. I’ve bought those also but not got round to fitting them ( want to respray the bumper  and replaced those crappy corner bits underneath :roll:) but they look fine in the boxes. 

Cant you also get ones which have glass lenses instead of plastic. Sure i read something recently about this.

Great thanks, I was wondering if I should get two so they match the O/S one is fine but may look slightly different to these I guess. 

3 hours ago, Marc_86 said:

Cant you also get ones which have glass lenses instead of plastic. Sure i read something recently about this.

My original ones had glass, are those eBay ones plastic lenses then? My glass had a hole from a stone chip anyway so it may as well have been plastic!  

4 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Genuine ones are bloody pricey, c£120 each IIRC

Thanks for that (& the link) I was thinking of getting a quote, but thought they probably would be rather pricey! 

2 hours ago, Dbcrd said:

Glass ones are these I think

Thanks, shame you can’t get one, I’ll check some more to be sure you can’t. 

Not sure why you only need one  as they get pretty knackered and full of condensation  over the years I just fitted a pair.

Edited by Dbcrd

On 31/01/2020 at 23:40, Dbcrd said:

Not sure why you only need one  as they get pretty knackered and full of condensation  over the years in just fitted a pair.

You’re right, ordered the glass pair from Amazon, they weren’t too much more & look like they have less written on the glass than the plastic ones do. 

The glass fog lights finally turned up but they look very much like the plastic ones!

nBTBkOh.jpg

The add clearly stated they were glass & the lenses look quite different from their pictures, have see what response they come back with...

7 hours ago, Andyrt200 said:

The glass fog lights finally turned up but they look very much like the plastic ones!

nBTBkOh.jpg

The add clearly stated they were glass & the lenses look quite different from their pictures, have see what response they come back with...

They’re the same as I linked to pal... That's a bugger! 

53 minutes ago, Dbcrd said:

If they were these as per my earlier post then they have changed 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01GS6YUDM/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_QjjnEbMZYE9Q4

Mine were fine as far as I could tell

Yes they’re the exact ones I ordered. 
For the £30 that ones I got are on eBay are they’re not too bad, but it’s not so good when you pay £49 to get the glass ones! 

This thread reminded me to finally do something about my terribly fogged up knackered original fogs as well. Ordered the plastic ebay ones Dan linked at top of thread, and can confirm that they are one hundred percent the exact same ones which Andy has received as  allegedly being glass. Glad I didn't go for the 'glass' ones now, despite umming and ahhing about it before ordering!

I got some yellow ones from Amazon. They don't seem to have the cut off beam pattern like the pre-facelift SE fog lamps. But they are alright and never gets used. 

when I replaced mine I found some "JOM" branded ones which had glass lenses. just checked my Ebay history and the part number was JOM 82769. Marketed mainly as E46 M3 foglights so the plastic surrounds are wrong but you just use your original ones and they fit perfectly.

I bought mine described as glass and they were glass and very good.  Plastic body (Not quite as good as oem) and glass lens that looked just like OEM.  It looks like the ones the OP has been sold if they are plastic have been mis sold and a refund would be due.

I agree they Are also for E46 and the surrounds are no good for E39 - you have to retain your original ones.  

Yes the seller has agreed to refund when they are sent back. 

The trouble is I still need fog lights, not sure if it was a genuine mistake from the the seller or they are trying to fob me off as their out of stock or something. Not sure if I should re-order from them or not. 

12 hours ago, lufbramatt said:

when I replaced mine I found some "JOM" branded ones which had glass lenses. just checked my Ebay history and the part number was JOM 82769. Marketed mainly as E46 M3 foglights so the plastic surrounds are wrong but you just use your original ones and they fit perfectly.

They sound good but nothing comes up on eBay for that. 

They are here though:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004ALFGJA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_wmYrEbD5VWS2P

but they are clearly the same as the plastic lenses I got sent already. 

5 hours ago, Seesure said:

^^^^  I too also used the JOM branded ones way back in 2013... they were excellent quality ....

https://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/89708-e39-m5-fog-lights-replacement/?tab=comments#comment-944658

The seller from that thread is still selling some but doesn’t list the JOM name in the title:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F263495723789

It is on the description though however the picture isn’t clear enough to make out the marking on the lenses, I’ll drop them a message.