Sign in to follow this  
Jonny2400

Creaking rear

Anyone suffered creaking from the rear at low speed ? It seems to be from the rear ... when moving off and going over bumps.

I did ask BMW to look at it, during the first service and they said they couldn’t hear it .. they must be deaf or didn’t even take it for a test drive.

i wanna get it sorted under warranty, as I might keep this until the new 5 series in 2024. 

any one had this issue, so I can mention what it is properly next service.

Could be something as simple as door / weather seals. 
I had it on a previous car, try it with windows slightly down ad see if it goes away. 
If it does then it’s seals. 

I used to get a slight rattling sound on mine sometimes.. but then realised it was the passenger seat belt clip scraping on the side interior pillar when it wasn't hanging straight. A quick adjustment and the sound was gone. 

I used to get an annoying  creaking sound as you described which appeared to be coming from the rear, the dealership cleaned the sunroof seals and it cured the noise. Hope you get it sorted. 

9 hours ago, bmw5apphire said:

I used to get a slight rattling sound on mine sometimes.. but then realised it was the passenger seat belt clip scraping on the side interior pillar when it wasn't hanging straight. A quick adjustment and the sound was gone. 

a very well known irritation!

On 26/01/2020 at 17:24, Jonny2400 said:

Anyone suffered creaking from the rear at low speed ? It seems to be from the rear ... when moving off and going over bumps.

I did ask BMW to look at it, during the first service and they said they couldn’t hear it .. they must be deaf or didn’t even take it for a test drive.

i wanna get it sorted under warranty, as I might keep this until the new 5 series in 2024. 

any one had this issue, so I can mention what it is properly next service.

yeah and it’s been back to the dealer numerous times with different diagnoses..each time telling me it’s fixed when it’s not. I just gave up in the end as it only happens as you say at low speeds & going over bumps. 

Later this year I can order a new car, and I highly doubt it will be another BMW. 

15 hours ago, Back2Beemer said:

yeah and it’s been back to the dealer numerous times with different diagnoses..each time telling me it’s fixed when it’s not. I just gave up in the end as it only happens as you say at low speeds & going over bumps. 

Later this year I can order a new car, and I highly doubt it will be another BMW. 

Mine is the same tbh. My previous BMW was spot on no creaks at all even after 3 years and 70k miles - this one has always sounded cheap

Does your car have folding rear seats, mine does and had a similar noise, I put some tissue paper across the fasting mechanism and it went away.

On 03/03/2020 at 09:24, Boba said:

a very well known irritation!

iincredibly well known and after 2.5 years made me change to an X3

On 19/03/2020 at 18:11, Gav78 said:

Does your car have folding rear seats, mine does and had a similar noise, I put some tissue paper across the fasting mechanism and it went away.

An amazing fix for a 40-50 grand prestige car eh 

12 minutes ago, huggy said:

iincredibly well known and after 2.5 years made me change to an X3

Really? And I thought I had little enough patience with things!!

Its really only SWMBO who sits in the passenger seat and I’ve ‘trained’ her to leave it properly positioned.

On 07/04/2020 at 12:15, Boba said:

Really? And I thought I had little enough patience with things!!

Its really only SWMBO who sits in the passenger seat and I’ve ‘trained’ her to leave it properly positioned.

I had so many attempted repairs that seemed to fix it for maybe the rest of the day or a couple of days but it always came back, and it wasnt just the rear seat I felt it was rear (not active) suspension or rear bodywork not secured/welded properly - Special BMW gaffer tape was used in a lot of places to try and fix it