Robgosty

BMW F07 Sunshade removal

Know its been done to death but has anyone just removed the shade from inside the car and tinted the roof, if so could you share how its done, i have no intention of paying stealer
£1500 ish to repair, love the car so removal is only option 
Cheers
Rob

9 minutes ago, Rollerblade said:

Hi. I’ve had this issue and made a DIY for it. I like to keep my cars original!

Hi bud, seen another DIY, post looks a total bugger to do, i would appreciate if you could post yours, if too involved i will just remove sunshade and tint roof (when someone posts up how to remove it) lol

Let me get home, I have the pdf on my computer. Be aware it will take you a while, so schedule some free time. Hi in the end, it will last forever ( I guess...) and you keep your car original. 

Here you go. As I said, It will take some time. ( Updated the last bit, just to state it´s still going strong! )

Enjoy, beep if you need any tips.

If still you´re fix on removing it, I can give you some tips as well, as the biggest time and work here is actually getting to the roller it self.

F07 Sunshade fix.pdf

Edited by Rollerblade

1 hour ago, Rollerblade said:

Here you go. As I said, It will take some time. ( Updated the last bit, just to state it´s still going strong! )

If still you´re fix on removing it, I can give you some tips as well, as the biggest time and work here is actually getting to the roller it self.

F07 Sunshade fix.pdf

Hi bud, thanks for that, looks a bit daunting that so will go with just removing the sunshade material and front crosspiece, can this be done with the roof in place, seen another post where the guy just twisted the front rail and pulled it out, feeling a bit dubious about that as don't want to bugger up sunroof, any tips for removing material and front rail?

Cheers

Hi. I understand pour point of view, although i must say I´d do it again, as apart from time it´s a Cheap fix ( Not considering man hours... Less time on the sofa for me ;-) )

PM me, and we´ll try to talk via whatsapp or similar ( I´m from Portugal) and i´ll give you my thoughts on it, as it can be tricky.

Cheers

Rui

Hi, instead of a new post,

Just had this new issue this week when I tried to close the shade, and it automatically rolled back to where it was, guess the fabric was stuck somewhere at the far end, had it gone back and forth a few times, and now it's working.

However, given a few people already had this problem, wondering if there is anything easy preventative method, such gluing the unattached fabric to the gasket? Have no clue what is the root cause..

Indy quoted AUD$1,500 for the work, $700 for the shade and $800 for the labour. It now looks pretty reasonable comparing to your quote LOL.

微信图片_20200202114630.jpg

微信图片_20200202114635.jpg

On 30/01/2020 at 11:06, Rollerblade said:

F07 Sunshade fix.pdf

What a fantastic and well worthwhile DIY! Thank you for taking the time to put this together and its one that will definitely go in toolbox. I’m hoping BMW has learnt its lesson and changed the manufacturing process on the G32’s roller shade!

In order for you to glue it, you need to remove it completely, there’s no other way to access it, trust me. And I ask you, if it was glued initially, and got to that stage, what will prevent to happen again. 
Also, going to the trouble of taking all out... better do it right. Just my two cents here.