Sign in to follow this  
KitsonRis

Brake Sizes

I am getting together a parts list and contacting a supplier about a big brake kit for my E34. They put together kits so it isn't like a "this is an E34 kit" off the shelf but will make adaptors and that and supply the calipers, discs etc. I want to go 4 pot brakes so hopefully there shouldn't be too much issue with clerarances. I am also running 17" E39 Style 32 wheels with standard sized discs.

Does anyone know what is the biggest disc that will fit? In case they suggest getting different discs.

Also any details on the caliper mounting points/sizes/dimensions will be appreciated!

I have 17" E39 "Style 66's" on mine and on the front I have 348mm discs from an E90 and 4-pot Brembo's from a Mercedes ML, on the rear I have 345mm discs from an E60 and  E90 M3 Calipers.

Fronts should be straight forward to make brackets for, and get easier the bigger the disc diameter is. The rears you have the added complication of handbrake shoes, if using BMW discs later than 1996 the shoe diameter increased. Also found the rear ABS sensor was a pain to work around with the caliper mounting bracket.

I can have a look for some pics to upload if it's any help, and see if I have any dimensions etc.

I am only going to swap the fronts so wont have to worry about the handbrake and that.

Still waiting on a response from this supplier to see what they can offer, but the size of those discs will be helpful.

Why big brakes... are you thinking of tracking the car? The standard brakes if in good working order are plenty good enough for these cars.

I've recently had new calipers and a fluid change on my 535i Sport and the brakes are pretty impressive.

C.

If just doing the fronts, best not to go too big or it will upset the balance under heavy braking. When I did my fronts I didn't get round to doing the rears for 6 months and it wasn't nice under heavy braking. The fronts were so much more powerful that I had huge weight transfer making it feel like the car was trying to stand on it's nose. Once the rears were done balance was restored, and it hauls up much quicker than any 25 year old estate with nearly 350k miles on has any right to ☺

Doing it because it is always something I wanted to do on a car, never got around to it on my old car. Also want to point my mark on it while still being subtle and not like stupid as all that I have done to it modifcation wise (not resortation work!) can be removed within an hour and people will never know - like the yellow tints on the lights and sun strip. I don't want to change the discs as I have some nice Brembo ones that are the standard size which are less than 2k miles. This is all if the supplier getsd back to me!!

@Sarnie never thought of that, might have to think about doing th rears then.

On 28/01/2020 at 19:12, KitsonRis said:

@Sarnie  never thought of that, might have to think about doing th rears then.

If your retaining the standard disc then you won't have a problem, especially if fitting something like the E31 Brembo or similar as it doesn't offer anymore clamping force due to the piston area being no bigger than the standard sliding caliper, it just has a larger pad area.

If looking at aftermarket calipers then Hi-Spec have lots of options, and are very nicely machined and made in the UK unlike some others. I have some of their 4-pots on the back of my Capri and was impressed with the quality.

Totally forgot about Hi-Spec. Might take a look at them. 
my brother is pretty handy with a lathe and mill so said if I can get callipers and take a strut off he will machine some brackets up if needed