Sign in to follow this  
Jonny2400

Winter tyre review.

I wanted to give a brief review on my winter tyres I’ve been running last few months, the Good Year Ultra Grip 8 (BMW approved run-flats)  245/45/R18

Firstly they are seriously quiet and the ride is a massive Improvement over the normal Good Year As2 20 inch, of course am using smaller rims, but the difference is way more than I’ve experienced dropping rim size previously.  

They gave plenty of confident during recent cold icy weather .. a local back road was frozen white,  at 6am... didn’t notice any difference in braking compared.. plus was a few accidents on the same patch of road later that morning due to icy conditions.

Ive also done some seriously spirited driving on twisty back roads, from -1 - 10c and they have been perfect.

Over 16c I did notice a drop off in their performance at motor way speeds.

Previously I used Michelin cross climates,  which I highly rate in the snow, in the cold and on the ice .. the Good Years are  better, so I guess these should be at least as good on snow as the CCs.

However,  I would still recommend the CCs if your not buying a Rim, Tyre and sensor package ... cause I know they are decent even at 25c, while I can’t comment what the good years would be like at 25c .. I don’t fancy their chances if am noticing a drop of at 16c.

So if you had been worried about these tyres, as they tend to be one include the cheaper deals that pop up, I would say if the price is good enough, these tyres are pretty good too.

Edited by Jonny2400

Thanks for that.

I have run Dunlop 3D Winters an I'm now on ContiWinter Contacts.  I've noticed the Contis are definitely not as good as the Dunlops were and I'll certainly not go back to the Contis.  I'm really squirming for grip at the moment with the Contis if the road surface is damp/greasy at temps of 8 deg C. I've still a reasonable amount of tread left too, 5.1mm according to the MOT health check it got on Monday.

You are running the same size of winters as me, I'll look into the Goodyears.

I’m running Goodyear 18” winters too for the 2nd year and as the OP says their grip is good. No snow this year yet and not a lot last year so can’t really comment on that, but low temperature grip on all surfaces has been excellent. Lowest temperatures this winter have been around -5C so far but currently around +7C or so. No perceptible difference in ride quality, noise or general directional stability to me over my summer 19” Pirellis so completely satisfactory. 

Edited by Boba

I'm currently running Dunlop Sport 3D and find them excellent. I was in Eastern Europe for the Xmas break last year and had no problem in 8 inches of snow. Mine will be due for a change before the next winter season as they are currently down to 5mm and they are no longer classed as snow tyres once under 4mm. I will be replacing with Dunlop again.

I'm also on Good Year (18") Winters and they seem fine as reported by the OP although I really haven't noticed any difference in ride comfort - perhaps that is because I have the TPs set for Eco rather than comfort?

In the past I've used Dunlop 3Ds and 4Ds on a range of cars (SQ5, A3, Fabia) and they have been excellent on all those but Nokians on my SQ5 were the best of all for performance and low noise levels (even on the SE corner of the M25!!). 

I’ve gone with Pirelli Sotto Zero 3 Runflats this time, they aren’t on the car yet but are on the original 18” 662 wheels that came with it, ready to go, maybe next week or the week after. 
245 all round, despite the staggered OE wheels, I was advised this is what should be fitted. 

I previously had Avon Ice Touring On my E39 16” winter wheels and they were great, never had any bother with them in quite a few years of running them. 
I see the argument for CCs / All Season vs Winters, and it’s something I might well look at in future, especially with our milder winters and widely varying temperatures. 

Hi All, AFAIK the GoodYear UltraGrips are available star marked as both runflat and standard tyres; is that correct?  Are most people running the ROF version?  I am happy to carry a mobility kit so considering non runflat option.

I run the RoFs on 18” through the winter. Very satisfactory.