Sign in to follow this  
535i Andrew

BMW F10 F11 key fob remote battery change

It's been over two years since BMW changed my key fob battery when it was in for a brake fluid change so I thought I had better change it. 

For those that have never done it here is how I did it.

Before you start get the replacement CR2450 battery out its packaging and you will need a small flat bladed screwdriver.

The key and correct battery.

2358-E620-45-FD-4157-A7-E7-682-E2-A2-DFF

Turn the key over and depress the button and withdraw the emergency key blade.

556-D8278-8641-4-CD8-94-DA-66-C36-E11578

Note that the key blade is in a slot on one side if the key fob.

Take the key blade and insert this into the hole nearer the middle of the top of the key fob, shown between my finger and thumb. Key blade hole is to the left side of the key fob.

D4-A69-E7-C-F41-E-4509-A931-D44654-CE66-

Push the key blade in and press down slightly on the end where my key ring is. You are trying to lever off the cover. 

33-A64-B8-C-FDAD-4-C3-A-B24-C-3-A0-D66-C

It's a bit stiff and will unclip with a loud click and now sit proud of the key fob if it doesn't ping completely off! In the picture below you can see a small tab attached to the cover that is in line with the hole you put the key blade into, you need to depress this and gently lever down with the key blade to pop the cover up and out of the rest of the key fob.

7-F3-B76-DD-C93-E-4-F9-E-91-EB-925260-E7

Lift off the cover to expose the battery.

661-C16-A6-D17-F-4711-983-D-C4-A9-DB24-F

Varta being fitted by BMW. 

Use a small flat bladed screwdriver to prise out the old battery. My finger nails weren't long enough/fingers were too fat!

Fit new battery making sure you get it the right way up +ve being up the way.

Refit the cover by inserting the bottom end of it first.

D42-D9726-0-C8-D-4979-9-CB7-BEBF3359568-

And then click home the top end, this is a tight fit and will give a loud click when correctly in place, refit the key blade and test it.

It took me longer to get the battery out the "child safe" packaging than it did to do the actual battery change!

I'll change it again in 2 years time when I next change the brake fluid. I'll need to change the spare key battery. It hasn't been used in nearly 4 years since I bought the car.

This fob, judging by the scuff marks (butchery) has had its battery changed more than the twice I know about.

I am, of course implying the BMW Dealer that changed it in my ownership did so without using a pick axe and a pair of pliers.;)

I need to do this.  I took my spare fob out the other day only to find the battery a bit flat.  Got a message come up on the I drive.   I need to read what to do in such a situation but I am ashamed to say that I still haven't got round to reading about using the manual mode on the GB!

My F10 which I had for 13 months (sort of) never required a battery change in 20k miles.

G30 in 26k miles and 26 months required 3 new batteries in daily fob and one in spare, spare was also flat when handing car back.

the older style keys were far more energy efficient that’s for sure!

one other thing I liked about the old key fob is that indentation on the battery cover. You could get multi coloured stickers from BMW to label each key to different user. 

10 minutes ago, Jimbo07g41 said:

I need to do this.  I took my spare fob out the other day only to find the battery a bit flat.  Got a message come up on the I drive.   I need to read what to do in such a situation but I am ashamed to say that I still haven't got round to reading about using the manual mode on the GB!

manual mode requires you to hold the key fob (if battery dead) next to steering column in right side. There you will see a picture of a key. Holding there allows the car to be started even with dead battery in key. The same procedure also applies for pairing a new key for the first time

8 hours ago, sjak92 said:

G30 in 26k miles and 26 months required 3 new batteries in daily fob and one in spare, spare was also flat when handing car back.

the older style keys were far more energy efficient that’s for sure!

Intresting that you say that. My folks have a G01 from Sep 2018 and both fobs have had at least one new battery each in little over a year. That’s partly what prompted me to change mine.

Do the new keys do more communicating with the car to use more power up?  

The E60 key took its power via induction from the ignition barrel (I think) so it’s been the only BMW I’ve never changed a battery on. 

It was just preemptive maintenance on my part and if it’s changed on the same two year cycle as the brake fluid which is due the same month as the MOT I’m less likely to forget. 

8 hours ago, sjak92 said:

manual mode requires you to hold the key fob (if battery dead) next to steering column in right side. There you will see a picture of a key. Holding there allows the car to be started even with dead battery in key. The same procedure also applies for pairing a new key for the first time

^This! 

41 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

Intresting that you say that. My folks have a G01 from Sep 2018 and both fobs have had at least one new battery each in little over a year. That’s partly what prompted me to change mine.

Do the new keys do more communicating with the car to use more power up?  

The E60 key took its power via induction from the ignition barrel (I think) so it’s been the only BMW I’ve never changed a battery on. 

It was just preemptive maintenance on my part and if it’s changed on the same two year cycle as the brake fluid which is due the same month as the MOT I’m less likely to forget. 

^This! 

I don’t think they do anything more tbh, what more can they do?

and yes, all old cars where you put the key in the dash, be that blade with twist to power on or just key and start button charged whilst in there (unless you had comfort access that is and key never went into dash anyway)

Sat at my desk earlier and did this. Mine has a Sony installed already. So perhaps its been done recently. 

Do you have to quickly do it? The reason I ask is whether it loses memory. I'd like to test the battery with a multimeter. 

20 hours ago, Skynet5 said:

Also, can anyone recommend a source of a replacement shell. Yes eBay. But don't want to buy a load looking for a decent one! 

Tesco stores them. Typical battery used it watches, kitchen scales etc 

5 minutes ago, sjak92 said:

Tesco stores them. Typical battery used it watches, kitchen scales etc 

Sorry. My bad, using the thread for my own question. The case... Not battery. 

Edited by Skynet5

16 minutes ago, Skynet5 said:

Sorry. My bad, using the thread for my own question. The case... Not battery. 

sorry misread that. eBay or BMW I guess :/

The F01 and F20 have never had batteries changed. Just ordered 10 energiser off Amazon for £6 so will be changing spares and main keys. For such little money and sake of few mins, why not

Thanks for the guide and prompt to do this!

This was an area that hit me within the first few months of owning the F11.... and where I found that having gotten the warning to change the fob battery when I opened the car in the morning, I planned to do it at lunchtime, only to find the car would not unlock and the manual blade would rotate, but not unlock anything. Having gotten a lift to obtain a replacement battery, swapped it and got mobile again, I bought a new replacement battery within a couple of weeks and I keep that in the armrest. Simple rule - when you get the 'change fob battery' warning, do that straight away... don't leave it until later.

Slight tangent, my police F11 only came with one fob, so having experienced the above, I bit the bullet and ordered a genuine second one complete, from my favoured dealer over here. One week and a little over 300bucks later I get it.

Following the specified sync procedure... nothing! And that includes deliberately leaving the 1st fob back in reception so signals could not be a problem.

Parts tech..... no joy...

Service manager.... nope...

Eventually, the only person who could get it to sync and work was my favourite, English speaking service receptionist.

Now I rotate fobs, changing every month.

Good thinking. 

I have two keys on my AUC. One is immaculate. And one is a state. I use the very used key so at least one remains like new. I have no idea why I do this. Perhaps trying to make the used key more my own. 

Both keys have sony batteries in. Is this a sign they have been replaced then? 

On 17/01/2020 at 17:13, Skynet5 said:

Sat at my desk earlier and did this. Mine has a Sony installed already. So perhaps its been done recently. 

Do you have to quickly do it? The reason I ask is whether it loses memory. I'd like to test the battery with a multimeter. 

My spare fob was a Sony. That battery was in it when I bought the car so not sure if it’s originality. 

I was prepared to do the battery change quickly. I don’t know if you have a time window or not but I wasn’t taking any chances which I why I suggest getting the battery out the packaging first as the one I used was double sealed in plastic! Child safe apparently. More like bomb safe! 

Great info @535i Andrew had battery low warning today (1st warning off car since i bought it) popped off cover to reveal this 

20200731-202955.jpg.

Will get replacements for both this one and spare tomorrow B)

Edited by marko530d

If you have comfort access you'll be going through keys a lot more often than the non comfort access cars. The CA cars keyfobs are pretty much always on and sending out a signal etc.

My Merc with comfort access would go through batteries every 6 months.

On 01/08/2020 at 17:20, deano16v said:

If you have comfort access you'll be going through keys a lot more often than the non comfort access cars. The CA cars keyfobs are pretty much always on and sending out a signal etc.

My Merc with comfort access would go through batteries every 6 months.

Maybe something wrong with Mercedes' implementation or your car but on our 2 BMWs with this feature, the F45 that is used daily gets a fob battery change every 2 years and similar for the G32 (but I mainly use the display key which recharges in the wireless charge tray anyway).

Probably down to poor quality batteries being used. Wife’s Kuga has CA and was eating fob batteries. Using generic supermarket tat (littl’un has lots of toys that needed coin cells so bought a job lot) they never lasted long. 

Energizer battery in and it’s lasted significantly longer. 

Others on here report fake batteries flooding the usual websites that don’t last long. 

I got mine from Amazon* as the 2450 isn't as common as the 2320 that the wifes needed.  2320 can be bought from any supermarket but I struggled to see the 2450 that ours need.  Took the lazy way to get it.

*which then prompted the comments of fake batteries........:rolleyes: