McPikie

530d or 535d?

So I am looking to get an E60/E61. I love the looks of the saloon and it's fat arse, but I also like the practicality of the tourer for tip runs, throwing the dog in the back etc. So either will do me, as long as I can find one that's been looked after in the spec I want.

Again, this isn't massively specific, apart from it has to be non-sun/pan roof M-Sport, with black leather. I really cannot deal with beige carpets and doorcards/dashboard. I'd like to steer clear of silver bodywork too, but if the spec demands it, then so be it, but I'd prefer carbon black or the dark blue (is that Monaco?), with space/silver grey as a back up.

Now, with regards to nav, i-drive and that side of it, I really don't care. I won't be using the BMW nav as it sucks ballsacks. However, HUD would be nice. I do prefer the spiders too, but I guess I'd be ok with MV2s.

The burning question is, do I go for the 530d, or the 535d? I know the 35 is more powerful, but it also has more turbos, and therefore more to go wrong. At most, I'd likely remap it slightly for a little more power, but this is for a daily commute, so the 30 would probably suffice. There also seems to be an abundance of 30's, so more likely that I could find one I like, or is it worth holding out for the right 35? Would mileage be such an issue? I guess something with 160k and serviced every 12 months/12k religiously would be better than something on 89k with only 8 stamps in the book.

I do like the look of this https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201912145332624

But then again, I like this too https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201905037602211  

My budget is around £4500, which I know isn't great, but it's all I have at the moment with just buying a new house.

Any advice/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

You'd be best to ask this in the relevant E60 section further down the homepage @McPikie - it'll get lost in here as it's just general chat :) 

24 minutes ago, McPikie said:

I wouldn't have an E39 in touring format, they look weird.

However, give me a 530i champagne edition anyday

Who said?! Ray Charles...?! :? :roll: :lol:;) 

I and a lot of others will disagree :P 

sideonandsettled.jpg

The Touring is not a bad looking estate car but it does lack the classic lines of the saloon and is a bit arse heavy - however a price worth paying if you need the extra load space.

Back in the day, there was an Imola red touring on here.

Reg EGO2 FAR.

Epic motor on Para’s and a lovely fella who owned it, sadly can’t remember his name.

Edited by roofer

10 hours ago, duncan-uk said:

RoyF?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thats the one :D

A pretty memorable registration number though to be fair. I remember the first notable number that I saw on a vehicle near me in Potters Bar in the 70s. It was JEVIC. Probable my favourite sightings was a Range Rover in Shropshire in the late 80s  which was running the plate FAT6IT ,where the six had been made to look like a G. Is that true ego or a total lack of it?

I have two friends that run pre-LCI e61 535d's - both remapped.

They are pretty impressive cars when it comes down to power and delivery, however - they have both had issues with the autoboxes.

One needed a torque converter after it was remapped, the other had another issue (cant remember), but he just swapped the gearbox for a used unit.

I would keep a contingency in mind if you were to go for a 535d and have it mapped, I'm sure standard power cars will be less likely to expirience issues.

My personal choice would be to go for a 530d manual and go down the hybrid turbo route - it wouldnt be far behind the 535d then.

(my e39 530d with the bigger turbo didnt loose too much ground when chasing the 535d)

535d all day long, had 3 of them plus 2 x X5 40DS...

AWESOME engines, always been the suspension or sensors that went wrong, never the engines / turbos etc. And remapped you will rarely feel less than one of fastest cars on the road.

Had a quick nose at them both, that E60 530D looks to have had a bump to the front, can't say how severe but the gaps at either sides on the arches are a big giveaway (pics 18 and 19). It's also missing the 2 blanks from either side of the lower grill. Suspect the boot to have (or had) water ingress as the carpet looks stained on the right. While we're on carpets, theres none in the cabin - it's not a huge deal but another thing to spend money on. Very shiny (worn) steering wheel. Rear passenger vents broken. Tyre pressure warning on the check control computer (CCC), it could have been sitting there a while for the tyre to go down or has a slow puncture needing attention. Personally I would just give that one a miss.

The E61 535D looks a bit more promising. Initial impressions - pics have been taken in the wet, it hides scratches and chips like the ones around the top edge of the bumper into the boot. Triangle on the dash (to the right of the P in pic 13) indicates an error, it would have displayed in pic 15 if the seller went to the CCC. Quite a few scratches on the plastic around the dash. Condensation in the fog lights. The squint rear plate would drive me insane! Not too into the chequer mats myself but the carpet is likely in better shape than that E60. I have read good things about the comfort seats but not tried them myself. I would take a (close) look at this one but auto box is a no for me.

On 1/18/2020 at 1:05 PM, AlexGSi2000 said:

I have two friends that run pre-LCI e61 535d's - both remapped.

They are pretty impressive cars when it comes down to power and delivery, however - they have both had issues with the autoboxes.

One needed a torque converter after it was remapped, the other had another issue (cant remember), but he just swapped the gearbox for a used unit.

I would keep a contingency in mind if you were to go for a 535d and have it mapped, I'm sure standard power cars will be less likely to expirience issues.

My personal choice would be to go for a 530d manual and go down the hybrid turbo route - it wouldnt be far behind the 535d then.

(my e39 530d with the bigger turbo didnt loose too much ground when chasing the 535d)

I need an auto for the commute, so a manual is out for me 

On 16/01/2020 at 17:33, Paddy O'Furniture said:

E60/61, not only the ugliest BMW ever, but probably one of the ugliest cars ever.

I think the external looks of the E60/61 differed hugely depending on colour and spec. An SE in a light colour on 17s looked horrible from any viewpoint other than the rear - whereas a Sport in a nice metallic colour on spiders with xenon could look really good. 

I could never ever get on with the interior though, in any spec - especially the pre LCi. Some parts of the dash looked decidedly low rent - almost Dacia like - and it was an odd shape. 

I jumped from the E39 to an F10 - via a Volvo!  I have found the F10 a good car, and a return to form. 

Edited by Calypso-E34

An E60/1 in 535d will be a potent machine provided it hasn't been molested and has been looked after properly.

Yes o.k. they may not be the best looking car but when it can crack 60 in give or take 6 seconds, who cares if its not a bonny car as its plenty quick enough and you'll be able to scare Porsche drivers in it. ;)