tallman85

Is my car remapped?

Sorry for sounding like a stupid question, but is there a way to know if my car was remapped by previous owners?  

Thanks

34 minutes ago, dj1233 said:

Taking it to a rolling road, or getting the ECU read is probably the only 2 ways. 

Reading the ecu with ISTA? 

5 minutes ago, dj1233 said:

No, you need to read the engine map; fuelling, fuel pressure, turbo data, etc 

ohh...I have no idea how to do that :)

i have ista, inpa and ncs expert and that’s it..hehe.

probably its not..but poor fuel economy makes me think.

1 hour ago, tallman85 said:

Sorry for sounding like a stupid question, but is there a way to know if my car was remapped by previous owners?  

Thanks

Yeh..phone them and ask :lol:

Edited by Chu

4 minutes ago, Chu said:

Yeh..phone them and ask :lol:

Good one Chu! :) 

The problem is that I bought the car off ebay without seeing or testing it...from 3000miles away.. lol.  Everyone called me frikkin crazy! But the misses wanted a large family car...and if she ain't happy, no body is happy :)  so it was a quick one.

20 minutes ago, tallman85 said:

Good one Chu! :) 

The problem is that I bought the car off ebay without seeing or testing it...from 3000miles away.. lol.  Everyone called me frikkin crazy! But the misses wanted a large family car...and if she ain't happy, no body is happy :)  so it was a quick one.

Mans gotta do what a mans gotta do.

Take it to a rolling road around £40

Get some bhp figures.

32 minutes ago, Chu said:

Mans gotta do what a mans gotta do.

Take it to a rolling road around £40

Get some bhp figures.

that’s life mate :) 

If you have ISTA diagnostics just run a full identification and test. If a warning box pops up declaring a long list of items are excluded from the warranty then the car is mapped. If the car is identified and faults are read without warning then the car is not mapped.

ISTA-D definitely checks for a remap pretty much before anything else.

Edited by JasonH
Typo

44 minutes ago, JasonH said:

If you have ISTA diagnostics just run a full identification and test. If a warning box pops up declaring a long list of items are excluded from the warranty then the car is mapped. If the car is identified and faults are read without warning then the car is not mapped.

Interesting. Thanks for this. I never suspected mine was remapped and that gels with what you say about ISTA-D.

Keliuss

22 hours ago, JasonH said:

I am not sure about that. If that is the case then either the receipt for a re map that came with my 530i was a re map that never happened or the subsequent owner had a standard map installed.

Either way I am not too bothered as I don't think I would ever be able to tell the difference between 250ish and 275ish BHP in a two ton car.

49 minutes ago, JasonH said:

If the car goes to BMW and has a software update (often needed when a module is replaced) the remap gets wiped.

Anything is possible I guess, I might have a look at software versions tomorrow if I get a fee hour to play with the car.

One thing always baffled me guys....

Why does the factory not use the same remap software to gain the extra easy power?  I mean there is a power war out there between brands, but still, they don't do it.  I always wished to have a word with someone who works at a car brand, in engine/software department to understand this and why...and importantly what they think of it.

- Is it because of reliability issues?

- Is it because of fuel consumption?

- Emissions? 

Opinions?

Thx. 

8 minutes ago, tallman85 said:

Why does the factory not use the same remap software to gain the extra easy power?  I mean there is a power war out there between brands, but still, they don't do it.  I always wished to have a word with someone who works at a car brand, in engine/software department to understand this and why...and importantly what they think of it.

- Emissions? 

Opinions?

Thx. 

It's to do with emissions, fuel quality and in some markets taxes.

15 minutes ago, tallman85 said:

- Emissions? 

All three plus not drawing sales from 'larger' engined derivative of the same car, some / most 525i and 530i are basically the same engine. (dependant on model year).

Edited by Keith_H
Added more detail

16 minutes ago, Keith_H said:

All three plus not drawing sales from 'larger' engined derivative of the same car, some / most 525i and 530i are basically the same engine. (dependant on model year).

interesting..... 

Remapping these non turbo petrol engines gains only a few bhp, whilst messing with the power delivery and may spoil the torque curve across the rev range, likely weaker at lower rpm if tunned for max rpm power output. So the factory compromises a little with respect to economy, emissions and taxes etc.

530i 272bhp (3L) vs. 525i 218bhp (3L). see N53 engine power differences and thinking of e60 530i Remapping

Yeah, all the above and manufacturers have also been known to refresh a car line-up mid-cycle and promote the engines as having X amount of extra horses. Exact same engine, just different map. They didn't develop a better map for the newer version, they always had it but held it back and just gave you a crappier map on the older version.

Keliuss

2 hours ago, tallman85 said:

- Emissions? 

Opinions?

Thx. 

Probably for insurance reasons too - we cannot handle to power!! LOL

My thoughts on whether its remapped and your economy FWIW.

Does it go like a stabbed rat?

Does it produce untoward smoke?

I've never been to Malta but i don;t suppose there is much motorway do you do much in the way of long runs? Local stuff will kill economy!

1 hour ago, duncan-uk said:

My thoughts on whether its remapped and your economy FWIW.

Does it go like a stabbed rat?

Does it produce untoward smoke?

I've never been to Malta but i don;t suppose there is much motorway do you do much in the way of long runs? Local stuff will kill economy!

No smoke, but it is still fast and torquey :)

So basically Malta is one-fifth the size of London and yes Malta is like one big city in reality, and there are cars as much as there are people....crazy.  Traffic is bad of course and it takes me 1.5 hours to make a journey of 20 miles sometimes.  I suspect this is the problem of my low mpg.  When the car is cruising at 80km/h for a few seconds...the gauge shows 45-50mpg.  

I think you've answered your own question.

Over xmas my e39 530d achieved 47mpg on some long runs but the overall average is 40 (town work as well as longer motorway trips) if however i reset and just drive locally its in the 20s