Captain Beaky

E39 Holey Crap that's not good!

Hmmmm! not good  i'll let the pictures do the talking excuse the quality it hasn't stopped raining for 3 days.

but it does explain the phone call sunday morning from the wife to tell me the jack wasn't working and the bit on top had disappeared ! in to the car!

IMG_4238.thumb.JPG.934e9df340ede9dbdf4b7d836e9b87e9.JPG

IMG_4237.thumb.JPG.59443d067ab6f595920f10570e4a33f1.JPG

IMG_4235.thumb.JPG.e18d451bdaec65b7b26ae87ba4a5389d.JPG

IMG_4236.thumb.JPG.d1e5bc5718f5fd3c2f53ab297ed5f339.JPG

I had mine repaired last year......it wasn't cheap:-(

1547715463_tricketts16jpg.thumb.jpg.4b45994cee0ee78c96c568001dd39f26.jpg

It's not going to be cheap that's for sure!

I think the weekend will be a case of look it all over and decide whether i jump in both feet or retire it and look for another.

and just to add to the pain i had to replace a pair of tyres on the back because the puncture was on the kusp of the sidewall so Im £220 our of pocket before i start Doh! 

Oh dear!

I'm starting to trawl ebay for a replacement motor, I really don't fancy fixing this and loathe to pay someone else  

But i do have the best excuse ever to get another one and the managers official permission the only hiccup is I caught her looking at a Range Rover tonight:( 

10 hours ago, Captain Beaky said:

But i do have the best excuse ever to get another one and the managers official permission 

I should think so, she broke it! ;)

10 hours ago, Captain Beaky said:

I caught her looking at a Range Rover tonight:( 

That’s grounds for divorce.:P

Breaking an E39 is perhaps forgivable but wanting one of those.......

I'm currently looking at an E39 525D seems reasonable and i'll either have spares or i'll just sell the 530D on

How are they for sharing the same parts i.e. Turbo's, intercoolers etc 

4 minutes ago, duncan-uk said:

X type not a bit small? More a 3 series size i thought?

I don't mind a little smaller i still have the E39535i and to me the 3 series has a lot of corrosion issues, i've seen countless ones with rusty arches front and rear.

In addition they are mostly driven by the silly wheel brigade and monkeys down here, the Jag does appeal to me but i've not heard much about them.

I like the 3 series and have been looking at them closely also but the Jaguar does seem a little bit more classy but i'd have a 5 over the Jag it's just finding a good one within a budget

Also i don't know much about the X-Type

I also like the Sabb estate but simply won't buy a merc or audi

1 hour ago, Captain Beaky said:

Also i don't know much about the X-Type

Its a Mondeo for those who wear Pringle (Golfers).

But the Mondeo it was based on, is very good for the time.

X-Type AWD are still sought after.  My neighbour had a 2.5V6 AWD, terrific machine and didn't put a foot wrong.

1 hour ago, 535i Andrew said:

Its a Mondeo for those who wear Pringle (Golfers).

But the Mondeo it was based on, is very good for the time.

X-Type AWD are still sought after.  My neighbour had a 2.5V6 AWD, terrific machine and didn't put a foot wrong.

Interesting,

Does the 2.2D suffer with the same injector problems as the ford?

X type 2.2d is a Transit engine so can suffer from exactly the same issues. Also, I have seen quite a few rot ones so check carefully!

The verdict is in and it's not good the sill is shot to shit needs an outer and all the back of the sill rebuilding there's some crusty bits around the arch and the opposite side. 

The passengers was up on the jacking points today and seemed okay.

Checked the turbo out and its okay but it's definitely losing boost pressure somewhere?

Mot due in 2 months and undoubtedly there will be something else so im cutting my losses and moving it on. 

8 minutes ago, Captain Beaky said:

The verdict is in and it's not good the sill is shot to shit needs an outer and all the back of the sill rebuilding there's some crusty bits around the arch and the opposite side. 

The passengers was up on the jacking points today and seemed okay.

Checked the turbo out and its okay but it's definitely losing boost pressure somewhere?

Mot due in 2 months and undoubtedly there will be something else so im cutting my losses and moving it on. 

That's a sad decision. Selling whole or breaking?

I went through the same drama last year. Had a strop, kicked it. Then realised i couldnt afford to get a new car so fixing it was the only option 

Luckily the brother in law does metal bending for a living so it cost me a bottle of gas and 2 x full sills. Ended up doing bits of the floorpan and arches too....

I'm hankering after an E61 now though, just havent got the funds at the moment