535i Andrew

Car part suppliers - Autodoc and others.

Having a mooch about looking at a possible F10 front suspension partial freshen up so I'm looking at sources of Lemforder arms and FAG bearings.

Autodoc keeps popping up as cheap as chips for Lemforder stuff but their online reviews are horrendous. I know of an E39 owner currently on here having issues with them.

Are they worth risking to save £20-£30 on an arm? I'm confident that I'll be able to get the right parts as the Lemforder stuff tends to have cross referencing to BMWs part numbers which we all know are easy to get.

Some other suppliers

Eurocarparts 

Buycarparts.co.uk

onlinecarparts.co.uk

mister-auto.co.uk

carparts4less.co.uk 

Caarparts.co.uk

any other suppliers or thoughts on who is good and who is not?

This isn't a slight against BMW, but when the genuine arms have Lemforder badges on them, IMO it's not worth paying to get one that also has BMW roundels on it next to the Lemforder logo.

C3BMW and BMWmotormec get my votes pal; for Meyle HD stuff. I personally rate Meyle HD highly and don't get hung up over Lemforder parts TBH

Never had any issues with them at all; have unfortunately had a couple of bits fail since I've been using them from around 2014 (BMWmotormec that is) and they sorted the replacement and refunded in no time at all, where necessary.

They're on eBay, but they're easy enough to find and C3BMW have their own website also

I saw your previous comments on that ebay user, thanks @duncan-uk and looked last night, displays as Car Part Centre as the shop.  They are still selling stuff and getting good feedback, just not Lemforder for the F10 anyway.

I'll have a look at those places too, thanks @d_a_n1979.  I've seen the Meyle HD stuff advertised in lots of places, but I've never used them myself.  I'll have a read up.

The Lemforder is my automotive OCD as OEM supplier.;)

1 hour ago, 535i Andrew said:

I saw your previous comments on that ebay user, thanks @duncan-uk and looked last night, displays as Car Part Centre as the shop.  They are still selling stuff and getting good feedback, just not Lemforder for the F10 anyway.

I'll have a look at those places too, thanks @d_a_n1979.  I've seen the Meyle HD stuff advertised in lots of places, but I've never used them myself.  I'll have a read up.

The Lemforder is my automotive OCD as OEM supplier.;)

I do get that re Lemforder; unfortunately I've had issues with their stuff in the past, as I have with OEM BMW, but never Meyle! They're as good, if not better IMO :) 

Re their online shops:

BMWmotormec: http://www.ebaystores.co.uk/BMW-MOTORMEC?_rdc=1

Carpartscentre (johnnyboy-1): http://www.ebaystores.co.uk/THE-NO1-CAR-PARTS-CENTRE?_rdc=1

C3BMW: https://www.c3bmw.co.uk/

All you need is the relevant part number off RealOEM and away you go :mrgreen: 

+1 for autodoc

All of my orders have resulted in a call from them the following day to confirm my vin etc followed by another call to confirm compatibility and despatch

Good to know re Autodoc, thanks lads.

The thing with online reviews is that folk are much more likely to go on to moan how bad things are than say how wonderful things are.

They do Lemforder stuff way cheaper than anyone else.

Not had issues with autodoc. Not had calls from them to confirm compatibility. I do that part myself, repeatedly, across other sites making double, triple sure I'm ordering the right parts. 

And yes, few people go online to say a transaction went as expected, but it's frustrating when it doesn't and there's usually a need to vent. 

Keliuss 

I've used AutoDoc on several occasions and have not had any problems. The trick is to carry out your research thoroughly and cross check everything as Keliuss says,

Kind regards,

Ivor

I have been using Autodoc for the past year - its been a godsend IMO.

They list parts that usually arent available from the likes of eurocarparts - the likes of BMW specific seals.etc 

Must have placed around 15 orders with them - no issues so far. If you can wait a week for delivery then I would recommend them.

lemforder from ecp/cp4l isnt Lemforder stuff any more, just a brand name, not sure how that works but its what I have seen mentioned a few times.

used autodoc a few times recently, as mentioned do some part number cross referencing to confirm its right, takes a while is the only gripe.

I have used Autodoc a few times and had one issue. Although their customer service is good and easy to contact, I just don't think they fully understood the problem I had despite all the pictures and descriptions I sent. I did all the research for part numbers on realOEM and everything was/should have been fine. The part in question was the splash gaurd behind the front disc - they sent me the wrong item but in a bag that had the right part number (it looked totally different to the other side). Seems like a reasonable mistake if they were going on part number. I asked to return it and then send me a replacement - I took photos to show what I was on about. They then processed the return but never sent a replacement out as "there is no point as won't I get the same part back". I convinced them to just do it and I would take the risk. Part turned up and I was right. Took about three weeks to get this part sent back out.

Easy to use though, online or through their app. Have used them since this and will use again.

Thought I'd chime in to this one. 

I've personally had two separate issues with autodoc and customer services were absolutely uselessly.

First issue was one of the parts I ordered out of a fairly large delivery (circa £300) went out of stock 3 days after I had paid and placed the order. The part was iirc only worth a fiver but I argued with them for over two weeks to get my order sent out as this particular part was out of stock.

What annoyed me the most was on the app, you can see how many parts/pieces are left in stock.

When I paid and ordered there was loads left but as it takes autodoc at least 3 days to even process your order, by the time they did, the number of parts sold out. I even told them to put the equivalent part but of another make instead just to get it shipped out but as it was something stupid like 17p more expensive, they wouldn't do it. Tossers.

I think after much arguing with them, my order eventually turned up after nearly 3 weeks. Not impressed.

Second incident was the on a separate order, parts was so badly packed, they were damaged on delivery and after another week of arguing and sending photos etc, I gave up and just bought the part elsewhere.

Maybe I've just been unlucky, but my experience has definitely been negative with autodoc and I vowed never to use them again because of the absolutely terrible customer service support I received from them.

Edited by boiliebasher

I suppose the issue is not the parts themselves but the number of people who report issues suggesting its not just an aberration.

My issue was with the courier but Autodoc really couldn't have done less to help leaving me to chase.

Finally the parts were dumped in my front garden and i suspect that was due to my chasing the courier and not Autodoc.

17 hours ago, Sir Anthony Regents-Park said:

Autodoc are fine if you are prepared to wait a few days. I've used them a few times but often I've had better deals from ECP with a discount code.

That's what annoys me about ECP.  Unless you have a discount code, they can be really pricey.  Its as if they price high so that it becomes realistic when using one of the their codes which are splashed about everywhere on the web.  Why not just have low prices all the time?  They used to be cheap on everything without having to rely on a code.  Are they banking on the few folk who buy without a discount code to fund the rest?

I can however walk to an ECP in my lunch hour to pick up the parts without hassle and its the same guys in the Possil branch since I had my E39!

The F10 goes in for its MOT on Monday so we'll see if anything is picked up which may hasten my choice of parts to change.

Thanks again for all the comments.

I bought loads of stuff from Autodoc when I overhauled my E36. Had no problems at all but it did take a while to get the parts. 

I've had far more trouble with ECP, several times they have sent the incorrect parts and have been a pain in the arse about getting the correct replacements. No one is perfect when it comes to parts in my experience.