Sign in to follow this  
Jonny2400

What you planning to change to ?

Just out of interest, what do you guys think you to do after your G30?

I have went from F30, F12 and now G30..  530d X drive and while it’s a brilliant car, I know I’ll wanna change next year or so and I’ve no idea what to consider .. as the new 5 wont be out and am not one of those people, that can be happy with just getting a new one of the same car again. 

I had assumed I would just get the new 3, then change from there into the new 5, but I don’t like the styling especially the rear end of the new 3.

Edited by Jonny2400

I’m hoping I’ll just be on the change point and be able to go into a new 5 Series, not planning to change until this one is three years old roughly. I’d consider a 7, but the Mrs finds the 5 too big, so I doubt I’ll be allowed :lol:.

waiting to see what the 530d LCI in Sept-Oct is like, but you are right, it will be a pretty similar experience. Just some new gizmos

X5 is too big, so maybe 330d/340i or X3

Probably going to keep this one for another 4 years; after that (if we have got rid of the kids by then) maybe a 340i Touring .......................

I’m fairly confident that this will be my last IC car. If I manage to see this one out (marginal ;) ) I expect my next vehicle will be fully electric but far too early to say quite what in this accelerating market.

Probably a 545e, assuming BIK rates allow for it to be financially sensible.
If I end up without a company car then a 540 is probably top of my list

just reading how Brexit will impact the UK car market. Up till now, the big engines were offset by smaller cars sold in places like Italy etc 

Post Brexit, the UK is gonna adopt EU regs, but the 95g CO2 EU fleet average standard applies to the UK market separately. A double squeeze 

Does that make me more interested in the 540i. Yes , it will be the last of its type possibly

4 hours ago, Carrera77 said:

just reading how Brexit will impact the UK car market. Up till now, the big engines were offset by smaller cars sold in places like Italy etc 

Post Brexit, the UK is gonna adopt EU regs, but the 95g CO2 EU fleet average standard applies to the UK market separately. A double squeeze 

Does that make me more interested in the 540i. Yes , it will be the last of its type possibly

part and parcel of developing markets worldwide. Won’t surprise me if we get 3 cylinder engines in the next gen 5er with 4 cylinders being top of the range in non M variants and the M5 being a straight six 

5 hours ago, Carrera77 said:

I think the 95g fleet average applies to cars manufactured in Europe & U.K. and not those sold to individual markets / countries. So it will apply to say Jaguar cars made in the UK and BMW cars manufactured in Europe. Ironically, it wouldn’t apply to BMW’s manufactured in Mexico and then imported into the U.K.  It’s a fine levied on European (and post Brexit British) manufactured cars only. I think if BMW wanted to continue building heavy emission cars they would do it outside of Europe - but I doubt there would be the market for them to justify building plants and incurring shipping costs and taxes. That said, the Chinese market may be big enough to export ‘gas guzzlers’ from but no doubt Europe will levy tariffs !  

My understanding is that the fine is levied this year on calculations using 90% of the manufactured fleet - ignoring the top 10% of models with the highest emissions. So the fine is per car, not on any model above the 95g. I did see an article where VW will be hit the hardest which is justice after ‘dieselgate’, as it is that which created the idea of the fines !

1 hour ago, Wivenhoe said:

I think the 95g fleet average applies to cars manufactured in Europe & U.K. and not those sold to individual markets / countries. So it will apply to say Jaguar cars made in the UK and BMW cars manufactured in Europe. Ironically, it wouldn’t apply to BMW’s manufactured in Mexico and then imported into the U.K.  It’s a fine levied on European (and post Brexit British) manufactured cars only. I think if BMW wanted to continue building heavy emission cars they would do it outside of Europe - but I doubt there would be the market for them to justify building plants and incurring shipping costs and taxes. That said, the Chinese market may be big enough to export ‘gas guzzlers’ from but no doubt Europe will levy tariffs !  

My understanding is that the fine is levied this year on calculations using 90% of the manufactured fleet - ignoring the top 10% of models with the highest emissions. So the fine is per car, not on any model above the 95g. I did see an article where VW will be hit the hardest which is justice after ‘dieselgate’, as it is that which created the idea of the fines !

for the purpose of emissions regulations, the  EU is considered a single market and the UK post Brexit, a single independent market.  The UK will be a mirror image of the EU, but the EU market being bigger and more diverse, has greater room for a range of cars .  Apparently the UK market is weighted towards SUVs

the fine is a gross fine - its the number of gms above the 95gms target multiplied by the number of cars sold multiped by 95 euros . So even if your fleet average is 97gms, if you sell a million cars the fine will be more than a low volume, high emissions carmaker. Thats why VW is the worst hit.  PHEVs are way to game this system and small carmakers without PHEVs (eg Mazda) are gonna be hit pretty hard as well

The 90% is just the phase in period for 2020, it will hit fully in 2021

Edited by Carrera77

I would have happily gone on to a new G30 for the moment (though would have enjoyed testing everything again!), but circumstances changed, and have upgraded to an X5. And I do mean upgrade. I think there is as large a difference in quality & tech between the G05 & the G30 as there was between the old 5 and the G30.

That said, given the price increase, there bl%$£^& should be ;-)

G Wizz , can you be more specific about what and where the quality and technical upgrades are?

Sure. And others will be better placed than me to explain! I think a few things that stand out, some of which maybe down to when I got my G30.

iDrive - the new, full version. Just a significantly better experience all round. That said, still a few little things they could have done to make it even better!

More options for "free". There are all sorts of bits and pieces that come as standard that you have to spec on a G30. I chose not to on the G30, and I'm not necessarily sure I would do on this car, but collectively makes it feel a little more loaded, and therefore more luxury. ACC, wireless charging, being able to connect two phones, SLI on the HUD, etc.

I thought the build quality and the layout on the G30 were better than the competition - I think the G05 is even better. Only main irritant is the cover over the cupholders - just awkward to use.

6 hours ago, The Livster said:

Looking at 840d at the moment, tempted by the deals 

They still look massive to me. Not at all used to the proportions as yet

1 hour ago, CFD said:

They still look massive to me. Not at all used to the proportions as yet

I had a 840d convertible as a loan car. Even with the 3D cameras I found it virtually impossible to safely reverse out. I am sure the coupe will have better visibility. It didn't feel like a big car when driving, only parking !

My replacement will most likely be on the company car scheme again, so most likely be PHEV to stop myself getting rinsed more and more every year by the tax man.

Most likely be a generously spec’d 330e M-sport (M-sport plus kit, Visibility pack, Driving Assistant Plus, HK, Heated Steering Wheel, Sun protection Glass, Elec Lumbar support). Will be able to order towards the back end of this year given my mileage. 

On 20/01/2020 at 09:35, The Livster said:

Looking at 840d at the moment, tempted by the deals 

drove an 850 yesterday, was a bit underwhelmed to be honest, nice but no massive leap forward from my current 5 back to the drawing board I think ! 

1 hour ago, The Livster said:

drove an 850 yesterday, was a bit underwhelmed to be honest, nice but no massive leap forward from my current 5 back to the drawing board I think ! 

Havent driven an M850i but had the 840d as a loan car for one day since having my X5. Was completely underwhelmed by it and it felt an significantly inferior car, smaller screens, more cramped, poor visibility and not as comfy. The only upside was the more powerful engine. The old 6 series was far far nice in my opinion

8 hours ago, sjak92 said:

Havent driven an M850i but had the 840d as a loan car for one day since having my X5. Was completely underwhelmed by it and it felt an significantly inferior car, smaller screens, more cramped, poor visibility and not as comfy. The only upside was the more powerful engine. The old 6 series was far far nice in my opinion

I totally agree - only going off styling, as I’ve not driven an 8 yet...but the M6 Gran Coupe is probably my favourite BMW of all time. 

40 minutes ago, TheDarkLord said:

As soon as Ford produce a hybrid Ranger, I'm there.

the worst handling and most uncomfortable current production car I have ever sat in haha