Sign in to follow this  
Jonny2400

What you planning to change to ?

For me, no rush to change. Not sure if I want an SUV next time or another estate again. The off road/ground clearance would be an advantage in some  hobby circumstances. I don't get electric cars being the saviour of motoring or the environment, but I would hope to get some sort of hybrid. Hopefully one that's been designed from the ground up and not a current model with a few batteries thrown in taking away my boot space and with an electric range greater than 60 miles

Edited by FMIB

Electric cars need a lot of work to be of interest to me, I had the 530e for the weekend after my dealer mess up over a repair and compared to my 530d X drive.. well let’s put it this way .. I was delighted to have my own car back, for too many reasons to get into.

While there are obviously better electric cars .... the issue is range and charging for me, I can see how it might work for some people, say drive to the same office, doing low miles, and a single charge can last them 5 days etc then makes sense.

For me, they need to be in a position where, they can offer real world 500 plus miles range. FYI the 530e Real world range for me was 7 miles .. not the claimed 28. So for 7 miles free travel, I got a slower, heavier car with half the boot size.

It’s hard enough in most places to even find a normal parking spot, never mind one with a charger.. at one of my offices there is a Multi story with 600 spots of which 10 have chargers .. a colleague who has an all electric car told me that 2 years ago.. he always got a spot, today it’s a race and they are all taken by 6am (he starts work at 9am) ... the next closest charging point is 4 miles away !

With all electric...imagine having that feeling .. during the rare time your fuel is low .. hoping / praying you will make it to the next filling station .. every other day and then when you get there ... your stuck there for hours, then there is the dark cold nights you get home,, having to get out and mess about plugging your car in, having to go out again to disconnect the cables so they aren’t stolen in the middle of the night .... no thanks.

Now if I was a company car driver ... yes the likes of the 330e etc makes a lot a sense due to BIK, but am pretty sure most 330e/530e drivers would have picked the 330i or 330d if the BIK rates where the same... 

Anyway back on topic .. do we know when the all new 5 series is likely at appear .. 2024 ?

Ive spend a little time looking at the X3 and X5... think the X5 is too big and I don’t love the X3 .. so am considering something I never expected myself to say ... I might just keep the G30 ..  maybe a remap once warranty is up and save some money and get the H20 or whatever the new 5 will be called .. lots of F10s on the road and I don’t look at them and think any negative thoughts.. looking at resale values hardly a big drop between a 4 year old 5 series vs 6 year old and be nice having a year of low road tax ... the extra £340 Road tax annoys me .. Especially when am having to top up my Adblue lol 

Edited by Jonny2400

19 hours ago, Jonny2400 said:

the extra £340 Road tax annoys me .. Especially when am having to top up my Adblue lol

It really gets you doesn't it :mrgreen:

Edited by Mr H

18 hours ago, Jonny2400 said:

Electric cars need a lot of work to be of interest to me, I had the 530e for the weekend after my dealer mess up over a repair and compared to my 530d X drive.. well let’s put it this way .. I was delighted to have my own car back, for too many reasons to get into.

While there are obviously better electric cars .... the issue is range and charging for me, I can see how it might work for some people, say drive to the same office, doing low miles, and a single charge can last them 5 days etc then makes sense.

For me, they need to be in a position where, they can offer real world 500 plus miles range. FYI the 530e Real world range for me was 7 miles .. not the claimed 28. So for 7 miles free travel, I got a slower, heavier car with half the boot size.

It’s hard enough in most places to even find a normal parking spot, never mind one with a charger.. at one of my offices there is a Multi story with 600 spots of which 10 have chargers .. a colleague who has an all electric car told me that 2 years ago.. he always got a spot, today it’s a race and they are all taken by 6am (he starts work at 9am) ... the next closest charging point is 4 miles away !

With all electric...imagine having that feeling .. during the rare time your fuel is low .. hoping / praying you will make it to the next filling station .. every other day and then when you get there ... your stuck there for hours, then there is the dark cold nights you get home,, having to get out and mess about plugging your car in, having to go out again to disconnect the cables so they aren’t stolen in the middle of the night .... no thanks.

Now if I was a company car driver ... yes the likes of the 330e etc makes a lot a sense due to BIK, but am pretty sure most 330e/530e drivers would have picked the 330i or 330d if the BIK rates where the same... 

Anyway back on topic .. do we know when the all new 5 series is likely at appear .. 2024 ?

Ive spend a little time looking at the X3 and X5... think the X5 is too big and I don’t love the X3 .. so am considering something I never expected myself to say ... I might just keep the G30 ..  maybe a remap once warranty is up and save some money and get the H20 or whatever the new 5 will be called .. lots of F10s on the road and I don’t look at them and think any negative thoughts.. looking at resale values hardly a big drop between a 4 year old 5 series vs 6 year old and be nice having a year of low road tax ... the extra £340 Road tax annoys me .. Especially when am having to top up my Adblue lol 

LCi in around 6 months time (will be on showroom floors in July this year) end of production for G30 will be around 02/2024

On 23/01/2020 at 11:09, sjak92 said:

the worst handling and most uncomfortable current production car I have ever sat in haha

Well, I have one, and I don't find it uncomfortable at all.  Quite the reverse.  A great cushioned ride and sitting up high is great in traffic. Quite well-equipped as standard too.

It handles alright for what it is.  I need it to get through the mud on site occasionally where my 5 Series won't go.  Quite enjoyable.

Haha.

1 hour ago, TheDarkLord said:

Well, I have one, and I don't find it uncomfortable at all.  Quite the reverse.  A great cushioned ride and sitting up high is great in traffic. Quite well-equipped as standard too.

It handles alright for what it is.  I need it to get through the mud on site occasionally where my 5 Series won't go.  Quite enjoyable.

Haha.

we have had a few as company cars in my old mans business, experience was polar opposite to you hahah

2 hours ago, TheDarkLord said:

Haha.

I'll wait until they bring out the plug in hybrid though - like they already have for the Transit - as I don't want a dirty diesel.