SABRE144

G30 WHEEL SIZE DILEMMA

Hi,

I currenty drive a E60 530d msport with 19" non run flat tyres which I'm close to replacing with a pre registered G30 530D xdrive with delivery miles only which has 20" alloys, because of potential ride issues and the high cost of replacement tyres i would prefer the vehicle to be fitted with 19" alloys. I mentioned this to the dealer and they have offered to replace the 20" alloys with 19" alloys off another vehicle to seal the deal but at the same price. The dilemma Im having is would i be better off accepting the vehicle with the 20" alloys already fitted and purchase a seperate set of 19" alloys. Therefore giving me the option of either selling the 20" alloys privately or keeping them for when i sell the vehicle and keep the spec as origional from BMW. Also if i was to purchase a seperate set of 19" alloys would i be better fitting them with non runflats tyres to improve ride quality, any thought or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I doubt the difference in ride quality between 20” and 19” would make a massive difference. 20” would be more easily damaged in winter potholes depending on road quality where you are (shocking around here). Also as you say tyre replacement cost is a consideration. You’ll get varied opinions as to whether RoF or not makes much difference, you’d really need to try for yourself if possible before committing to a big outlay.

Edited by Boba

Thanks Boba for your quick response, i notice you alread drive a 530d xdive tourer can i ask what size tyres you have fitted and are they RoF

I’ve got a G30 on 20’s hitting a pot hole does make your teeth itch, but the ride normally is pretty good. Personally, I’d take it with the 20’s, see what you think then get a set of 19’s if you think the ride is too hard. No point in the dealer replacing with 19’s and you losing the 20’s and the option of selling them after if they’re not altering the price. 

Edited by Liam2594

Thanks Liam,

Thats what i was thinking, it sounded a good idea at first when the dealer mentioned it but then i started having second thoughts.

Another thing to note is, looking at like for like tyre prices, there’s not a huge difference between 19’s and 20’s. Plus in my opinion the 20’s look much nicer. 

My thought would be keep the 20’s, if you find it too hard, sell those, they should cover the cost of the 19’s. 

I have 19” with non run flats and the ride is fine, as said 20” you run the pothole gauntlet

2 hours ago, SABRE144 said:

Thanks Boba for your quick response, i notice you alread drive a 530d xdive tourer can i ask what size tyres you have fitted and are they RoF

I have 19" RoF summer wheels and currently running on 18" RoF winter wheels. No discernible (by me) difference in ride but the winters certainly do grip well  this cold wet weather!

I agree with above that the dealer's pulling your chain if he offers no discount for the 19"!

Edited by Boba

3 hours ago, Boba said:

I doubt the difference in ride quality between 20” and 19” would make a massive difference. 20” would be more easily damaged in winter potholes depending on road quality where you are (shocking around here). Also as you say tyre replacement cost is a consideration. You’ll get varied opinions as to whether RoF or not makes much difference, you’d really need to try for yourself if possible before committing to a big outlay.

I would have said the same, but I was actually surprised in the difference when I changed from 18”” to 19” on mines, different brand of tyre maybe causing it - both run flats. 
It was especially surprising as I never felt that much difference on my ex E39, when going between 16” winters and 18” M Paras, - both non run flats, the handling was more noticeable than the ride there. 
Food for thought. 

2 hours ago, SABRE144 said:

Thanks Liam,

Thats what i was thinking, it sounded a good idea at first when the dealer mentioned it but then i started having second thoughts.

Unrelated to the quality of drive, if you were to get BMW to swap the 20s for 19s, the vehicle factory option list will still show that the car should be running on 20s. Just something to consider when selling the car onwards in the future. 

I don’t think you’d be doing yourself any favours by allowing dealer to swap. They would sell the other car at premium and you would “de value” yours with a less expensive optioned wheel.

also, when I looked at replacing tyres on my G30 I actually found that price difference was not too bad and in fact, choice of tyres was better. 

as for ride, I don’t think it will make any difference whatsoever. The car will be much better than your current E60 on 19’s. does your car have VDC by any chance?

Agree with Boba. My G31 530d xdrive has adaptive suspension, normally runs standard 19 rof in the Summer but presently on 18 rof winters.

I have not really noticed any difference in ride comfort but I would say the 18s are probably the better drive.

The 20s do look great though.

Why not try and negotiate a heavily discounted set of 18 winters from the dealer? Start with those on for the remainder of the winter and see if you notice a difference with the 20s in the summer. 
January is a slow month and 3.0 Diesels tend to hang around on forecourts so you may get a set  at cost.

Thanks for all your advice, I think your right the best option would be to stick with the stock vehicle on 20s and see how i get on with the ride comfort before I think about changing.

sjac92 the car currently being offered doesn't have VDC, Is this something you would highly recommend being fitted to the car? If this is an option everybody would recommend having fitted I would be prepared to wait until a suitable car becomes available

7 hours ago, SABRE144 said:

Thanks for all your advice, I think your right the best option would be to stick with the stock vehicle on 20s and see how i get on with the ride comfort before I think about changing.

sjac92 the car currently being offered doesn't have VDC, Is this something you would highly recommend being fitted to the car? If this is an option everybody would recommend having fitted I would be prepared to wait until a suitable car becomes available

From what I've seen, VDC is a very rare option to be found on AUC cars, you may be waiting for a long time and It is very good at smoothing the rough and then firming up in sport mode though and you need to be happy with the car you buy and the way it drives.  Make sure you have a decent test drive over different road surfaces.

My old F11 didn't have VDC and I loved driving that car, the suspension never bothered me. 

Edited by Matthew Ashton

Before I committed to purchasing my last two cars, I requested a 24 hour test drive. The 10-20 minute one only works if you’re already in love with the car. 

I’d say, get a test car without VDC for an overnight test drive and take it to your most feared road and see how it handles it. 

8 hours ago, SABRE144 said:

I’ve driven both with and without VDC, the VDC does make a difference however, I wouldn’t call it a necessity. Slightly more comfortable and stiffer in Sport mode, however in my opinion the rarity of finding a car with the option ticked speaks volumes if you ask me. 

When I bought my AUC car I ended up with 2 on my short list one with VDC and one without and test drove both for a half day (about 2-3 hours really). I took the one without VDC in favour of the xDrive and slightly better spec. Whilst I could certainly feel the suspension difference over a poor road surface i felt it made little difference to potholes and random bumps, and when it comes down to it I seldom drive on really poor roads so a better kitted car meant more overall.

I think the car would be less desirable with 19s.  The G30 is a big car and looks better on 20s. Im my opinion ( compared to F10 on 19s) the 20s look miles better and the ride is the same  ( maybe even better). If you did take it on 19s you should be getting it for less.....Take your car, enjoy it. Drink a pint  or a coffee less a week and your tyres are paid for . Life is too short...

I have 20” run flats as part of the M Sport Plus package and find the ride excellent, road noise low and appearance very nice filling the wheel arches well. Pressures make a slight difference to road noise.

Pot holes are so bad around where I live work and commute they effect every wheel size so driving involves extra care and snaking all over the carriageway in many places.

Edited by rlowy