Sign in to follow this  
Kersidan

Ambient lighting F11 LCI

This maybe common knowledge so apologies if I'm stating the obvious. I noticed yesterday that although my car has ambient lighting, I couldn't see it. It was dark but no lighting. So I went to the iDrive and adjusted the brightness, still no ambient lighting. Went onto Bimmercode as I had seen a module in that, that coded ambient lighting., turned that up to 70%, still no ambient lighting. I then turned my lights from manual to auto and the ambient lighting switched on. So it appears that the ambient lighting is only active when you have auto lights selected.

As I say, news to me but could be common knowledge to you.

Mark

I rarely, if ever use the auto position for lights - I was trained that it is the driver's responsibility to be using the correct lighting - but when my lights are on, so is the internal ambient lighting.

As always with these things, there may be differences due to it being a police build.

My 530d 2014 LCI car has ambient lighting switched on without using the lights in auto position. Not sure what the difference would be on your car. Mine isn't an expolice car either so it's nothing to do with that. I know my ambient lighting alters it's brightness when you adjust the dash light brightness. If all else fails have you tried adjusting the wheel next to right switch?

As an aside, I don't like auto lights either for the same reason as @HandyAndy_UK  but Mrs CP loves them and can't see why anyone would not want to use them :mellow::-|

I genuinely dont understand the above two posts? Why would you not just let the car deal with the lights? Not that you would forget to turn them on or similar but the amount of times i have seen people driving around with no lights at night (becuase they have DRL on they seem to think its fine) but back of car remains unlit.

added benefit is that you will never forget to turn them off either. 

On 11/01/2020 at 15:07, Kersidan said:

This maybe common knowledge so apologies if I'm stating the obvious. I noticed yesterday that although my car has ambient lighting, I couldn't see it. It was dark but no lighting. So I went to the iDrive and adjusted the brightness, still no ambient lighting. Went onto Bimmercode as I had seen a module in that, that coded ambient lighting., turned that up to 70%, still no ambient lighting. I then turned my lights from manual to auto and the ambient lighting switched on. So it appears that the ambient lighting is only active when you have auto lights selected.

As I say, news to me but could be common knowledge to you.

Mark

F series cars will only turn on ambient light when outside lights are on. G series cars, which give more colour choice for the lights, remain on all the time and are far brighter in day (so they are still visible in day light) and become dimmer at night as to not distract the driver. 

1 hour ago, sjak92 said:

I genuinely dont understand the above two posts? Why would you not just let the car deal with the lights?

How often do you see are driving along with their rear fog lights on when there is no sign of any fog? People put them on thinking they need them but forget to turn them off, or fail to notice when they're no longer needed.

1 hour ago, sjak92 said:

added benefit is that you will never forget to turn them off either

Have you ever been dazzled by someone parked in a side road, in a lay-by on the other side of the road, facing oncoming traffic outside the paper shop etc because they have left their headlights on when they could/should have switched to sidelights? Auto headlights are all very well but the car doesn't know whether it's waiting at traffic lights or parked facing oncoming traffic at the paper shop. Some people are inattentive enough at the wheel already. Auto headlights just give them an opportunity to pay even less attention to what they're doing with their car. 

The more automatic systems are built into cars, the less the driver actually needs to concentrate on driving. While some safety systems are all very well, the more you rely on automated systems, the less attention you pay to whether they're actually working correctly... and that's just the start of a slippery slope.

Prime example - whilst driving a nearly new 26 tonne Scania rigid truck around 3 years back I was introduced to the auto-braking system... annoyingly I was on a winding Norfolk road that headed toward some cottages before deviating to the right and away in the direction of Swanton Morley. Approaching the bend in the road around 40mph I took my foot off the gas and allowed the truck's speed to decay sufficiently for the bend I could see ahead. Unfortunately, the truck couldn't see the bend and so as I got to around 20m from the deviation markers (black and white chevron boards) as I wasn't braking, the system did it for me and I got the shock of my life as it tried to stop me ramming into this 'obstruction' by applying heavy braking. 

This braking was completely unnecessary and if another vehicle had been behind me, they could easily have run into my truck. From that point on when I got into those trucks I started the engine then switched off both auto braking and lane deviation (steering vibration) - that also a nightmare on narrow country roads as you're forever crossing centrelines.

I'm the driver, the vehicle is not !

5 hours ago, sjak92 said:

F series cars will only turn on ambient light when outside lights are on.

Indeed - but the factory default for the headlights (certainly the halogens) is that if you put the lights in the Auto position, the angel eyes and dipped beams are always on. So the ambient lighting is always on. A small bit of coding resolves it so that during the day, when the light switch is on Auto, you can have angel eyes on as DRL's, also the rear lights on if you wish (i.e. if coded that way) - but no ambient lighting. At night you get the dipped beam & guaranteed rear lights coming on - which also triggers ambient lighting.

4 hours ago, Cadwell Parker said:

How often do you see are driving along with their rear fog lights on when there is no sign of any fog? People put them on thinking they need them but forget to turn them off, or fail to notice when they're no longer needed.

Have you ever been dazzled by someone parked in a side road, in a lay-by on the other side of the road, facing oncoming traffic outside the paper shop etc because they have left their headlights on when they could/should have switched to sidelights? Auto headlights are all very well but the car doesn't know whether it's waiting at traffic lights or parked facing oncoming traffic at the paper shop. Some people are inattentive enough at the wheel already. Auto headlights just give them an opportunity to pay even less attention to what they're doing with their car. 

I would much rather be dazzled for a split second in town traffic every once in a while compared to barrelling down a motorway at 70mph plus only to realise that there’s a car in my lane because my headlights reflect off of its number plate.

i know which one is far more dangerous. 

3 hours ago, HandyAndy_UK said:

The more automatic systems are built into cars, the less the driver actually needs to concentrate on driving. While some safety systems are all very well, the more you rely on automated systems, the less attention you pay to whether they're actually working correctly... and that's just the start of a slippery slope.

Prime example - whilst driving a nearly new 26 tonne Scania rigid truck around 3 years back I was introduced to the auto-braking system... annoyingly I was on a winding Norfolk road that headed toward some cottages before deviating to the right and away in the direction of Swanton Morley. Approaching the bend in the road around 40mph I took my foot off the gas and allowed the truck's speed to decay sufficiently for the bend I could see ahead. Unfortunately, the truck couldn't see the bend and so as I got to around 20m from the deviation markers (black and white chevron boards) as I wasn't braking, the system did it for me and I got the shock of my life as it tried to stop me ramming into this 'obstruction' by applying heavy braking. 

This braking was completely unnecessary and if another vehicle had been behind me, they could easily have run into my truck. From that point on when I got into those trucks I started the engine then switched off both auto braking and lane deviation (steering vibration) - that also a nightmare on narrow country roads as you're forever crossing centrelines.

I'm the driver, the vehicle is not !

that is far more advanced that auto lights and you are confusing the two. There is a reason why auto lights are now mandatory