Start stop to stay on your last settting

Digital speed in the cluster

DVD play back

Temp and pressure readout for tyres

video playback via USB

enable retro fitted paddles

The cheat sheet shows the codes presumably they can just be copied as is

Would each one have to be done individually or can they be grouped

How do I code them I daren't start pushing buttons so I simply confirmed it was connected and left it there disconnected switched car off.

Make sure your battery is fully charged while doing this. While it isn't a full power source, I always have my CTEK MXS5.0 connected to the charge points under the bonnet while coding. 

Coding is not a case of copying from the cheat  sheet as is. It is switching the flag or VO coding the car as instructed in the cheat sheet. 

You can do a change of all desired functions in ONE module at a time.

Make sure you backup the CAFD files BEFORE you start:

• It's a good practice to take a full back up of Car's setting before any changes are made to the car. This would help reverting back to original settings in case a mistake is made or it is desired to go back to original settings of any or all features.        
  • Connect ENET cable between car's OBD port and network port of laptop.        
  • Press connect button on top row of E-Sys to connect car with the laptop.      
  • It opens up a popup, select the correct TargetSelector, e.g . F010 and not F010_DIRECT, select "connection via VIN" and press Connect.      
  • Click Ok when connection established.      
  • Select "Expert Mode" on the left pane and click on "Coding" button.      
  • In Vehicle Order Box (upper left), click on "Read" button., it would display FA of your car.      
  • Right click "FA", select "Activate FA"      
  • Go to SVT Actual Box (right pane, midway down) and click on "Read(VCM)" button if this doesn't work, click on "Read (ECU)".        
    •  Note:   SVT box will display SVT of different modules of your car, some with green bullets. These green CAFD files are of our interest.      
  • Right click on each green CAFD and click on "Read Coding data". After codes are read, green icon will change into a folder icon.      
  • Read all the green CAFD files one by one or, select multiple by holding the Ctrl key of keyboard and read Coding data by right clicking..      
  • Check the folder "C:\ESysData\CAF", (your location may differ) this will contain all the read CAFD files.      
  • Copy and Save all the files in a safe place. These are your original CAFD files

This is the flow of events to get the coding done. It is best to read the ESYS getting start manual you should have in the downloaded files:

image.png.566c9f89a2bfa511c00dabf8c8230799.png

Cheers matthew found a couple of tuts online, thought best try tomorrow when have more energy lol

can the car be left running to make sure battery level remains good ?

is there a one button click to backup the cars settings ?

Cheers

59 minutes ago, mudd786 said:

can the car be left running to make sure battery level remains good ?

You can leave the car running but I’ve never felt comfortable doing it.

59 minutes ago, mudd786 said:

is there a one button click to backup the cars settings ?

No. The instructions for backup are as I’ve detailed previously. 

1 hour ago, mudd786 said:

the trickiest one seems to be the paddles one as multipe ecus will need to be coded does that seem right ?

Yes, 2 modules need coding after adding to the option... add 2TB to FA, and VO Code ICM and EGS. You may need to code an option or 2 these were what I found:

SZL with Lenkrad_Schaltpaddles -> nicht aktiv

Variantencodierung_2_2_1 -> aktiv

11 hours ago, Matthew Ashton said:

Yes, 2 modules need coding after adding to the option... add 2TB to FA, and VO Code ICM and EGS. You may need to code an option or 2 these were what I found:

SZL with Lenkrad_Schaltpaddles -> nicht aktiv

Variantencodierung_2_2_1 -> aktiv

just add 2tb no need to remove anything ?

Also for backup purposes as you suggested is it a simple case of read the is it FSC ? and then save that file to the laptop ?

Cheers

6 hours ago, mudd786 said:

just add 2tb no need to remove anything ?

Also for backup purposes as you suggested is it a simple case of read the is it FSC ? and then save that file to the laptop ?

Cheers

To backup the CAFD files prior to coding, follow the steps I provided you in my previous post: 

FSC files are feature enabling files. They provide the license from BMW to run certain functions in your car.  Don't touch the FSC codes. The only one you can influence is the SatNav one. THat's another lesson for another day.

have managed to code :

tyre pressure and temperature

start stop last function

dvd in motion 

I also did : mph read out but it did not work I have the MFD 6wb dash when we went France set too kmh it did give the kmh readout but I’m mph mode it just says MPH above the needle as before 

also did compass to aktiv but not sure where this would show 

big thank you for helping me get over the hurdle of coding it 

next will try paddles seems more involved 

and then need to disconnect the sensors for PPS and try that also 

cheer

1 minute ago, mudd786 said:

have managed to code :

tyre pressure and temperature

start stop last function

dvd in motion 

I also did : mph read out but it did not work I have the MFD 6wb dash when we went France set too kmh it did give the kmh readout but I’m mph mode it just says MPH above the needle as before 

also did compass to aktiv but not sure where this would show 

big thank you for helping me get over the hurdle of coding it 

next will try paddles seems more involved 

and then need to disconnect the sensors for PPS and try that also 

cheer

Mph doesn’t work with the digital cluster 6WB as you already have the digital readout available. 

9 minutes ago, Matthew Ashton said:

Mph doesn’t work with the digital cluster 6WB as you already have the digital readout available. 

The digital MPH readout is only available in sport mode when I am in comfort mode the dash shows the digital dial and numbers with the words mph just above the needle now if I switch the dash to kmh the dial reads kmh around the dial and shows a small digital read out of kmh above the needle the numbers increment as you speed up so in comfort in kmh you get the standard dial if you will with a digital read out of your speed in kmh I wanted the digital read out when in mph comfort mode also hope that makes sense 

cheers mate 

9 hours ago, mudd786 said:

The digital MPH readout is only available in sport mode when I am in comfort mode the dash shows the digital dial and numbers with the words mph just above the needle now if I switch the dash to kmh the dial reads kmh around the dial and shows a small digital read out of kmh above the needle the numbers increment as you speed up so in comfort in kmh you get the standard dial if you will with a digital read out of your speed in kmh I wanted the digital read out when in mph comfort mode also hope that makes sense 

cheers mate 

I understand. As far as I'm aware, there is no way to change that behaviour on the 6WB cluster.

So there is one more setting it’s 

Digital-tachometer-enable is set to Keine anzeige mph (no display mph)

set this to mph mph

now when in mph units where it displayed only the letters mph it indicated 0 mph drove round block it works hope it helps some one 

cheers 

Also the compass function worked finally but caused nav to go a little hay wire I believe it’s due to enabling internal gyro which will disable and see if it fixes it 

this enables the compass via bc button where it would show odometer etc also enabled xdrive function looks cool shows 3D vehicle which shows angles and the car leaning n tilting possibly more suited to xdrive equipped car as there is a torque display also shows torque distribution between the axels didn’t work on myn ofcourse lol 

again these options in HU NBT

Ok Level Complete.

20200112_152713.thumb.jpg.041524150145d13d68ddaf418a40a186.jpg20200112_144522.thumb.jpg.b3289ac9a9e9580ba12fc1cf3d6e6764.jpg

Big thanks to Matthew Ashton for the software advice !

Now i have only ever owned this car with front end damage so the initial steps of removing trim to gain access to sensors is missing. (This vehicle currently is without a front bumper and bonnet)

This will impact how hard it is to locate the PPS sensors.

Firstly a scan through Newtis PPS confirmed the PPS sensors that i had already located, which for my 530d 2010 are:

• Front left Bonnet latch
  • Front right bonnet latch
  • Rear left bonnet hinge
  • Rear right bonnet hinge
  • Optic sensor behind front bumper reinforcement foam.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First the Optical Fibre - The plug in on the drivers side. 

20200110_151511_LI.thumb.jpg.b1ce65fea9a17db1cdde68d7d0e2aed4.jpg

- I reckon you could get to this if you put your arm up between the bottom of the bumper and the undertray. (Cobweb for scale)

20200112_143205.thumb.jpg.19a1b0043336b3098b160feec03d6020.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next was the front left bonnet latch - I already have my headlights removed but don't think they will impact you here.

20200112_143432_LI.thumb.jpg.845c64e906c4c388dd34ec619b904f40.jpg

Push the tab in on the backside and pull up, simples.

20200112_143446.thumb.jpg.01b593414f6265b76f99883eab530d41.jpg

The right side is identical so no photos.

Now the rear left bonnet hinge sensor. List of tools recommended for job:

• Girl-hands
  • more than 1% self control

Located on the underside of the bonnet hinge is the sensor (black).

20200112_150510.thumb.jpg.790c148891bf44016cfc4ea226f93e2c.jpg

20200112_150500_LI.thumb.jpg.f262b406e992df26668589f8880c0515.jpg

Now if your familiar with some of the BMW plugs this is the type that involve pulling up on a grey tab first, then pulling the plug off.

20200112_152020.thumb.jpg.58245e6e97b736c508d1048306fd94cb.jpg

To get a decent position on this i had to lift a bit of the tray.

20200112_151510.thumb.jpg.739c0abd910acae5b19b407fba5c91ba.jpg

Once off, the classic electrical tape job.

20200112_151312.thumb.jpg.ceb7a3474bd5402495f25633fe1a7650.jpg

Just tucked it underneath a bit of the loom that's close by.

20200112_151442.thumb.jpg.1f27acf75e084c46517a94adef7eb8cf.jpg

Ok so that side actually wasn't too bad but the left side is a much tighter space. Especially if your not willing to remove any other components to complete the job. Now for this side i had accepted that i never wanted the plug ever again so grabbed it with a right angle pick and just pulled it straight off. somehow the plug remained intact.

20200112_151908.thumb.jpg.7ca552f70fdf2fd7728246ab487357ef.jpg

After wrapping i tucked it as deep as possible back under the hinge.

20200112_152537.thumb.jpg.9dbaa526eecc5dc597a16f848dedf61c.jpg

So that's the physical side done, now onto the coding.

Coding.....

After the day long install of E-SYS and ISTA+ i booted up ESYS and used these steps:

(On the target selection screen there were two options for F10, not including DIRECT:)

20200113_175512.thumb.jpg.597116192e2c101cdc41598290220f45.jpg

I just clicked on the option including 530... Maybe someone could explain, or it literally is just the engine size.

1. Followed Matthew's guide further up in this post, to backup my files.
  2. Once running opened Expert mode -> Coding -> Read -> Save (saved this as "standard Setup" just incase it all went pete tong).
  3. Went to the save location of this new file and copied it into the same folder with a new name "Mr.Robot v1".
  4. Now to the Editor and Viewers tab -> FA Editor -> Load my new file -> Right click, Calculate FP.
  5. In the same window, navigate to the folder SALAPA -> in the list of options that appear in the window below (for those follwing this for the first time, all the options are a string on 3 letter codes seperated by commas) Remove 8TF.
  6. Clicked the yellow door symbol above text box -> Clicked save on the top menu bar.
  7. Back to expert mode ->VCM -> In the Vehicle order window -> Open you newly created file "Mr.Robot v1".
  8. Right click FA -> Calculate FA.
  9. Vehicle order -> Master -> Write FA FP (says successful bottom left of the program, takes half a second).
  10. Expert Mode -> Coding -> Load my file -> Right click FA -> Activate FP.
  11. In the SVT Actual box -> Read SVT -> Save SVT.
  12. Right click ACSM Module -> Code.

Ok so this was the coding, had no issues when following the steps but my error was still on my Nav screen and cluster after this. Went back in to check the file was actually edited and it was so moved to ISTA.

Firstly i ignored this that came up while i was reading the car.

20200113_180823.thumb.jpg.97218cc6809639083e375e102e920b83.jpg

• Clicked on Fault memory, bottom right.
  • In the list i were all the PPS signals from each sensor listed separately (this could be used to work out which sensors you have installed) .
  • Clicked Delete fault memory and watched the PPS Error on my nav screen Disappear.
  • Read the modules again and no sign of any PPS system.

BEERS!!!

Nice write up mate good job n well done!

so you only had the sensor strip strip and the two latches to disconnect which could be done with out removing the bumper etc 

mines a 2015 wonder if it will have more than yours ? 

cheers 

So called dealer today asked for a schematic showing which system mine has, he said your has the optical fibre installed in the bumper. Other versions have either 3 acceleration sensors or optical fibre and a acceleration sensor.

So hopefully with any luck its a case of unplugging the hinges latches and the optical fibre delete errors uncode the 8tf option and should be done.

Their system makes life so much easier as it brings up schematics for the specific car with its fitted equipment.

over complicated piece of .... 

Cheers

18 hours ago, Wozza345 said:

Ok Level Complete

Great write up. Thanks for sharing in such great detail. I now feel I know a little more of the dark art of coding. Must see about getting hold of a trustworthy version of E-SYS. I've a couple of things I'd like to try coding when I get round to it.