curryholic

Map update failed - Any help?

Help!!!

I just got a F11 520d and love it, updated the firmware no problems and then went to update the maps so I got the maps and FSC and the car recognised the USB yesterday am. After my 1h20 commute it was still sat at 0% so I cancelled it. Thinking there was an issue I reformatted the stick and copied everything back on. Just on the return leg it now says to put the USB back in and resume - I guess the USB has a different address or something. The software on it is the same. 

Is there anything I can do to restart it or is it fubar’d?

Thanks,

Dave

Hi Dave,

I had the same issue with my CHAMP2 head unit. I basically had to buy 3 different USB2 memory sticks and try until one of them worked. I also have a 1hr20 commute and once I'd cancelled it, I was then able to insert the 'new' USB stick and it worked!! I'll fish out the one that worked for me and post here after I've found it.

James.

Hi James,

Thanks for the reply. So I picked up a 64GB USB3 stick, which I formatted as FAT32 which I think was the original issue. The stick was recognised and seemingly managed to copy something. The system now says "Navigation not available. Please connect the USB device with the navigation data again and resume update", which seems to suggest I need to put in the original version.  But I can't get off the screen. Does this make any difference?

If it is just a new USB then that's an easy sort. 

Dave

Nav Error.jpg

On 10/01/2020 at 11:09, curryholic said:

Hi James,

Thanks for the reply. So I picked up a 64GB USB3 stick, which I formatted as FAT32 which I think was the original issue. The stick was recognised and seemingly managed to copy something. The system now says "Navigation not available. Please connect the USB device with the navigation data again and resume update", which seems to suggest I need to put in the original version.  But I can't get off the screen. Does this make any difference?

If it is just a new USB then that's an easy sort. 

Dave

Nav Error.jpg

Hi Mate, I have the exact same screen on mine, I was part way through a map update and the usb was removed (dont ask), and now i have that screen.

Did you just leave the USB in and drive around and it started working again??

Edited by ccfj1

I had the same thing last year when I updated mine - took ages with no progress showing. I did it waiting to board a ferry to France. Thought nothing more about it, parked up on the ferry and when I got back in the car 2 hours later it was all fresh and new.

14 hours ago, curryholic said:

Hello mate,

yeah I did, it took a couple of hours for mine! 

d

And all the time it had the not available screen?

10 minutes ago, toughguyhuh said:

I had the same thing last year when I updated mine - took ages with no progress showing. I did it waiting to board a ferry to France. Thought nothing more about it, parked up on the ferry and when I got back in the car 2 hours later it was all fresh and new.

OK, did you still have your map screen available or was it as above?

I have replaced the usb and left it there, so hopefully it will come back..

No, the map screen wasn't available and I did remove the stick a couple of times to check it on my laptop. I just left it plugged in and ignored it. Was a bit surprised when it was working again, since I'd even locked the car on the ferry.

hmmm so it was doing the update while you were away??? i thought that the cars system shutdown after 15 minutes?

thanks for the clarification.

I'll leave it plugged in and hope for the best then

Edited by ccfj1

43 minutes ago, ccfj1 said:

OK, did you still have your map screen available or was it as above?

I have replaced the usb and left it there, so hopefully it will come back..

One thing I've just remembered was that (IIRC) you need to use the same USB from start to finish you can't replace it with another stick. Others may be able to confirm/deny!

3 minutes ago, curryholic said:

One thing I've just remembered was that (IIRC) you need to use the same USB from start to finish you can't replace it with another stick. Others may be able to confirm/deny!

Can neither confirm nor deny - I used the same stick, just removed and inserted it a couple of times when checking it.

ok, i have put the same stick back in (it has been formatted though and same update copied to it

5 hours ago, toughguyhuh said:

No, the map screen wasn't available and I did remove the stick a couple of times to check it on my laptop. I just left it plugged in and ignored it. Was a bit surprised when it was working again, since I'd even locked the car on the ferry.

when you checked the usb were there an other directorys or files or just the map update in the root dir?

Just checked mine and its still the same (not available)

Edited by ccfj1

I think it was just the update in the root, no directories, but it was last summer so can't be certain.

I did do some googling before I tried the update and seem to recall there were some things to ensure, just can't recall what they were exactly. Having the stick formatted in FAT (not exFAT) format was one of them, I think. And not formatted on a Mac but on a Windows machine. I used a Kingston 64GB USB3 stick, one of the black, sliding jobs, can't remember the model.

Oh, and I got the map update officially (paid) - not sure if that's the same for you but if not perhaps that's the issue?

Edited by toughguyhuh

If you do it through Connected Drive (officially) then this guide is pretty comprehensive.

https://www.babybmw.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=98919#:~:text=very specific situations.-,Size%3A The update is 28 Gigabytes (GB) so you,format doesn't allow this.

If you're doing it via satnavupgrades.co.uk or the like then you should reach out to the individual who sold it to you for support.

12 hours ago, toughguyhuh said:

I think it was just the update in the root, no directories, but it was last summer so can't be certain.

I did do some googling before I tried the update and seem to recall there were some things to ensure, just can't recall what they were exactly. Having the stick formatted in FAT (not exFAT) format was one of them, I think. And not formatted on a Mac but on a Windows machine. I used a Kingston 64GB USB3 stick, one of the black, sliding jobs, can't remember the model.

Oh, and I got the map update officially (paid) - not sure if that's the same for you but if not perhaps that's the issue?

The code is definitely right as it was accepted, its a32gb usb 3, windows formatted fat32 and as i say it had done approx 70% of the update, and it wa a one i had used before for the route map update.

I think that its just the fact that it was unplugged is the problem, as to the fix, hopefully just putting it back in will do it, no luck so far though.

Edited by ccfj1

12 hours ago, toughguyhuh said:

If you do it through Connected Drive (officially) then this guide is pretty comprehensive.

https://www.babybmw.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=98919#:~:text=very specific situations.-,Size%3A The update is 28 Gigabytes (GB) so you,format doesn't allow this.

If you're doing it via satnavupgrades.co.uk or the like then you should reach out to the individual who sold it to you for support.

Not via connected drive.

not a satnavupgrades.co.uk either, the maps are a download. used a download for the last 3 times on the mini and never had a problem

I normally generate my own fsc, but in this case a mate did it for me (and never had a problem before)

Edited by ccfj1

Solved......

Faulty USB socket, the USB stick was not going in far enough, I had a spare usb socket, so tried that and bingo, all working and fully updated to 2021.

Thanks for the help guys, it's appreciated.

Me too, looks like a bit of one of the usb sticks  was stuck in the side of the usb socket.

Cheers