gbrownings

Anyone swapped an E39 M5 for a Golf Gti?

After 13 years ownership of my E39 M5 I am thinking of selling. Various reasons (the impending threat of London's ULEZ charge of £12.50/day spreading to my part of London being the major one).  Much as I still love my car, I can't justify paying this just to leave my drive!

I really struggle to think of what I could replace it with.  I only drove 2.5k miles last year (at 14mpg) so think something more economical, with decent performance when needed and big enough to squeeze the golf clubs in the boot and able to handle our great capital's roads with their potholes and interminable "traffic calming"  measures. 

A hot(ish) hatch (not a Honda R) seemed a good start and ticked most of my boxes. 

So, I test drove a new Golf Gti DSG performance.  All the write-ups rave about this car but I was really disappointed. It was OK inside with all the modern stuff but on the road it felt really sluggish, bouncy and not very settled (not very techinical description, sorry!).  The only missing relevance optional extra was dynamic chasis option. Maybe that would make a difference?

It was a relief to get back into my M5 with 100k on the clock (albeit the GTi had a few less creaks!) 

Anyway, anyone any views/experience on the BMW to Golf Gti move or driven both? Did I miss something?  Any ideas what else I might try?

Budget £25-30k subject to what I raise through selling mine!

Any thoughts appreciated.

Keep the M5 in a lockup outside of london or inside if you can afford one. 

lease the GTI or even an i3 (no road tax, no ULEZ, no CC, cheap to charge although a little longer, better cabin build quality than a tesla, and almost 200m to a full charge. 

the only people that would consider a swap of an M5 to a golf are on crack or the new age equivalent. 

never purchase a depreciating asset. the M5 will appreciate, the golf wont. fact. 

19 minutes ago, NuckingFuts said:

Keep the M5 in a lockup outside of london or inside if you can afford one. 

lease the GTI or even an i3 (no road tax, no ULEZ, no CC, cheap to charge although a little longer, better cabin build quality than a tesla, and almost 200m to a full charge. 

the only people that would consider a swap of an M5 to a golf are on crack or the new age equivalent. 

never purchase a depreciating asset. the M5 will appreciate, the golf wont. fact. 

Probably very sound advice.  Not sure I am quite ready for an EV although it clearly makes sense. I dont think the old golf clubs will fit in an i3 boot which I read somewhere is quite small....

Now, where's my crack pipe!

Edited by gbrownings
spellcheck

Just now, gbrownings said:

Probably very sound advice.  Not sure I am quite ready for an EV although it clearly makes sense. I dont think the old gold clubs will fit in an i3 boot which I read somewhere is quite small....

Now, where's my crack pipe!

Golf GTE maybe? best of both worlds? 

Honestly, go try some EV's or even hybrids with battery's and petrol/diesel engines. they're gimmicks to make numbers for carbon emissions targets but starts you on the course and short journeys they can be very useful as their torque is instant. 

Even vauxhall do an EV that can do up to 200miles on a single charge (it's butt ugly though) 

Might as well get them before (1) government incentives run out and (2) Benefit In Kind is 0% until 2021 and (3) no road tax, CC or ULEX, no fluids to change etc 

Can't hurt to try one out, rent one for a weekend or ask a friendly sales associate for an extended test drive ;)

Also check out the Gov't salary sacrifice. pay for the car pre-tax and save yourself even more money on the cost of the car. 

There's a lot of bollocks  (yes, scaremongering and bollocks spread by the auto industry when they loose the kickbacks from BP/Shell/ExxonMobil etc) about EV's being "more environmentally dangerous" than normal cars but in actual fact, they're the same. the only down side is that once a lithium battery has completely finished (recycled more times than it's capable of doing) then it's time for the dump. but by the time that's even a possibility, the tech *may* well have reached a point where they're either not using lithium for batteries or they've found a way to reuse/recycle or ethically dispose of it.

What have you got to loose to at least try? (except a hefty hole in your heart when you sell that beloved car which I, in good conscience, cannot allow you to do. 

NF aka Deepan

I'd have an M140i over a Golf and take it to Birds Garage for an LSD and suspension mods 

30 minutes ago, NuckingFuts said:

Golf GTE maybe? best of both worlds? 

Honestly, go try some EV's or even hybrids with battery's and petrol/diesel engines. they're gimmicks to make numbers for carbon emissions targets but starts you on the course and short journeys they can be very useful as their torque is instant. 

Even vauxhall do an EV that can do up to 200miles on a single charge (it's butt ugly though) 

Might as well get them before (1) government incentives run out and (2) Benefit In Kind is 0% until 2021 and (3) no road tax, CC or ULEX, no fluids to change etc 

Can't hurt to try one out, rent one for a weekend or ask a friendly sales associate for an extended test drive ;)

Also check out the Gov't salary sacrifice. pay for the car pre-tax and save yourself even more money on the cost of the car. 

There's a lot of bollocks  (yes, scaremongering and bollocks spread by the auto industry when they loose the kickbacks from BP/Shell/ExxonMobil etc) about EV's being "more environmentally dangerous" than normal cars but in actual fact, they're the same. the only down side is that once a lithium battery has completely finished (recycled more times than it's capable of doing) then it's time for the dump. but by the time that's even a possibility, the tech *may* well have reached a point where they're either not using lithium for batteries or they've found a way to reuse/recycle or ethically dispose of it.

What have you got to loose to at least try? (except a hefty hole in your heart when you sell that beloved car which I, in good conscience, cannot allow you to do. 

NF aka Deepan

OK I will explore the EV option further. I have been reading about the problems of getting rid of lithium, but I guess they will eventually find a way or an alternative.

6 minutes ago, E39mad said:

I'd have an M140i over a Golf and take it to Birds Garage for an LSD and suspension mods 

Funnily enough I was just watching a YouTube thing on M140i v M135i.  Definitely interesting although, having had a BMW since 2006, I was thinking about a change of manufacturer.

14 minutes ago, E39mad said:

That Birds conversion is in conjunction with "Hartge" - the B2 and Quaife. 

I'd take a Quaife (and i have one in my M5) over a Wavetrac any day of the week, and twice on Sundays. 

13 minutes ago, gbrownings said:

OK I will explore the EV option further. I have been reading about the problems of getting rid of lithium, but I guess they will eventually find a way or an alternative.

Also take a look at http://www.electricclassiccars.co.uk buy a shell of a car shape you love (i have an excellent *rust free* M5 shell for sale FYI - i'd do you a cheap deal if you go down this route) and spend £20k ish and make it into an electric car. keep the shape and comfort and enjoy the carbon neutral goodness as you're also recycling lithium batteries in the process, so they avoid yet another landfill. 

Win Win I'd say. ;) 

Edited by NuckingFuts

15 minutes ago, NuckingFuts said:

Also take a look at http://www.electricclassiccars.co.uk buy a shell of a car shape you love (i have an excellent *rust free* M5 shell for sale FYI - i'd do you a cheap deal if you go down this route) and spend £20k ish and make it into an electric car. keep the shape and comfort and enjoy the carbon neutral goodness as you're also recycling lithium batteries in the process, so they avoid yet another landfill. 

Win Win I'd say. ;) 

Nice idea, but perhaps a little too complicated for me!:unsure:

2 minutes ago, gbrownings said:

Nice idea, but perhaps a little too complicated for me!:unsure:

you give them shell of car, and bag of cash, and they make the magic happen in X number of days. 

Can’t get any less complicated 

Bought a brand new i3 at the end of October 2019.

Quicker to 40mph than my M5. 

But won't be selling my M5 any time soon.

Great cabin in the i3 and a surprisingly good drive. I like it. The only downside is the poor appalling charging network for longer journeys. Tesla holds all the cards when it comes to charging networks.

An i3 would be ideal in London. The looks are a bit Marmite but I think it's cool. Feels like a car from the future. Partial carbon fibre construction means it's a lightweight too, weighing in at just over 1300kg, which is 300kg less than a Leaf. That means a lot when it comes to performance.

17 minutes ago, DepthHoar said:

Bought a brand new i3 at the end of October 2019.

Quicker to 40mph than my M5. 

But won't be selling my M5 any time soon.

Great cabin in the i3 and a surprisingly good drive. I like it. The only downside is the poor appalling charging network for longer journeys. Tesla holds all the cards when it comes to charging networks.

An i3 would be ideal in London. The looks are a bit Marmite but I think it's cool. Feels like a car from the future. Partial carbon fibre construction means it's a lightweight too, weighing in at just over 1300kg, which is 300kg less than a Leaf. That means a lot when it comes to performance.

Interesting. So, what is your real world mileage and charging up time for a normal drive? I do drive around the south east and Oxfordshire (golfing dog walking etc) and wouldn't want to spend half the day looking for and charging the car. 

My wife has an Si4 Evoque (actually a really nice car to drive) which does about the same mpg as my M5 (which she won't drive :D) and she is quite keen on the idea of our "other" car being more environmentally-friendly.  I will though almost certainly have to sell the M5 to buy a replacement one. 

Range is dependent on temperature. Less range in winter. Did an 800 mile road trip in November  - when it was cold ie. 0 degrees C. - driving at 'normal' speeds eg 70mph on M-ways and found the range to be about 120 miles on one charge. Would have been further in summer conditions. 'Rapid' charger (50kW) took us from 12-15% charge to 95% charge in about 40 minutes. 'Rapid' chargers are what you should be aiming for when on a long journey. At your destination you can plug into a 240v 13amp ordinary  3 pin socket with the OUC (the 2.3 kW Occasional Use Charger supplied with the car) and will recharge from 10% to 100% in 12-13 hrs or so. 

Just bimbling around on A & B roads + in town should see at least 150 mile range in winter conditions, more in summer.

Experimented with driving faster than motorway speeds to see how that affected range. Big difference! Really chews through battery capacity when "making progress". (Actually, the car cruises really well at 70 to 80, though the range suffers of course above 70).

Edited by DepthHoar

2 hours ago, NuckingFuts said:

The E39 M5 may well appreciate somewhat, but only until more legislation begins to come in affecting petrol driven older cars ...  then there's the price of petrol and the likely larger price per litre levels they'll be in the future. 

Anyone currently thinking their E39 M5 and other similar equivalent BMW's or cars from other rival Brands will sell for significantly more in 5/10/15/20+ years time, I suspect will be sorely disappointed!

Cheers, Dennis!

22 minutes ago, DennisCooper said:

The E39 M5 may well appreciate somewhat, but only until more legislation begins to come in affecting petrol driven older cars ...  then there's the price of petrol and the likely larger price per litre levels they'll be in the future. 

Anyone currently thinking their E39 M5 and other similar equivalent BMW's or cars from other rival Brands will sell for significantly more in 5/10/15/20+ years time, I suspect will be sorely disappointed!

Cheers, Dennis!

I have to respectfully disagree. 

I suspect that the alternative fuel market will encapsulate these and keep them on the road. Not electric batteries but hydrogen or petrol and additive mix or some such. 

I don’t think they’ll ever go over the £/$100k mark like one has recently ( but that was due to it being <500 miles used) but they will reach high figures

I think we will still be able to drive them, i just think it will be very expensive to do so. So many won't.

The mass market will go electric/ EV / whatever "we" are told is good.

From my perspective the market needs to wake up to people like us who want interesting cars so once an electric M3 or sports estate becomes available and trickles down to my budget i expect that's where my money will go.

I'm almost tempted to bail on owning a car of value right now as i feel one might be saddled.

Enthusiast or not you're going to really want one to afford it.

I fear the I/C engine is receiving the last rights...

33 minutes ago, Davidwood said:

Electric isn't the future. (Tesla owner here)

How so? 

37 minutes ago, Davidwood said:

Electric isn't the future. (Tesla owner here)

Not pure no but burning fossil fuel isn't either!

Dont do it.
Keep it and sell it when its £20k+
If you must then but a MK5 Edition 30 or MK6 Edition 35 with low miles and it will hold its value and eventually start to appreciate.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

19 minutes ago, Mazi said:

Dont do it.
If you must then but a MK5 Edition 30 or MK6 Edition 35 with low miles and it will hold its value and eventually start to appreciate.

I'd look at a 35.  ED30s are cheap as chips now but they likely will appreciate though.  Not to M5 levels though.  MK4 R32s as well, although they're not that fast but do drive well.  

Clubsport if you want a belter.

I'd look at a 35.  ED30s are cheap as chips now but they likely will appreciate though.  Not to M5 levels though.  MK4 R32s as well, although they're not that fast but do drive well.  

Clubsport if you want a belter.
R32 not fast enough given fuel consumption

19 hours ago, DepthHoar said:

Range is dependent on temperature. Less range in winter. Did an 800 mile road trip in November  - when it was cold ie. 0 degrees C. - driving at 'normal' speeds eg 70mph on M-ways and found the range to be about 120 miles on one charge. Would have been further in summer conditions. 'Rapid' charger (50kW) took us from 12-15% charge to 95% charge in about 40 minutes. 'Rapid' chargers are what you should be aiming for when on a long journey. At your destination you can plug into a 240v 13amp ordinary  3 pin socket with the OUC (the 2.3 kW Occasional Use Charger supplied with the car) and will recharge from 10% to 100% in 12-13 hrs or so. 

Just bimbling around on A & B roads + in town should see at least 150 mile range in winter conditions, more in summer.

Experimented with driving faster than motorway speeds to see how that affected range. Big difference! Really chews through battery capacity when "making progress". (Actually, the car cruises really well at 70 to 80, though the range suffers of course above 70).

Thanks for the report.  That's pretty impressive. I guess one of the main worries is getting down to your 12-15% charge and struggling to find a rapid charger or, as I have read, finding that the one you are aiming for is out of order/busy etc.  Definitely one for the shorter journeys, for me. 

I would find it a struggle not being able to "make progress" on motorways when the need arose!  

6 hours ago, Mazi said:

Dont do it.

I was hoping it wasn't too far off £20k now!    Showing my age here, but I had a Mk2 Gti in 1985.  Now that would have appreciated if I had stuck it in a garage!