muggers

E28 M5 Wheels Wanted

I get what you are saying but Why were they Crap?

A wheel is a wheel is a wheel they are round and revolve a metric wheel has no corners the last time i looked it was round, so why should they alter the handling? 

So going back to my last comment if you had a decent tyre on a metric wheel then all things should be equal,  so the fault is with the tyre not the wheel

It’s not radius I don’t think. The trx  has a different bead arrangement but not sure that’s a difference. 

Maybe its tread, compound, side wall. I don’t know but try them if you don’t believe us. They are truly shocking. 

I had experience in period with them on my dads car. Scared the bejesus out of me. Again when I was older and wiser on my m535i and they would still let go without too much effort. 

I recall ( may still have) the road test alluded to above they really were regarded as piss poor on the e28. 

I seem to recall the pug 505 and others had them without issue (though I don’t know enough to comment) so maybe it’s the geometry or damping of the e28. 

Maybe development might have helped but why bother when the solution already existed. 

Get a set and you’ll know. 

I see what you are saying Dunc, its like my Dolly Sprint it simply does not like going around corners because of the suspension set up is crap but put a set of firestone firehawks on and you went around the corner backwards on ended up in the hedge.

The E28 handles well but shite tyres available for the metric rims by the sounds of it, my first M535i had metrics but it was cheaper to buy a set of wheels with boots than buy tyres so i never experienced them in anger

I paid up a lot of money for a set of 4 brand new 240/415 metric Trx GT's for my 635 highline a few years back and I have to say they were as good as any tyre I've had on a car, metric or otherwise in wet or dry conditions.

Part of the problem is there so expensive people keep them on cars for years. Any ancient tyre will be rubbish. 

1 hour ago, duncan-uk said:

Are they the Dunlops? The e34 on metrics didn't seem to get such a bad press so probably not all bad.

No, there Michelin TRX GT's. 

TRX GT's were better but still old hat. The originals were shite on the BMW with semi trailing arm suspension - the sidewalls were too stiff to deal with the camber changes. TRX's were used on various Ferraris (Mondial, Testarossa etc), Renault 25's and 30's, Granadas (also semi trailing arm IRS) and Alfa Romeo 1.5 Sprints. E30's had a 14.5 inch TRX option as well and sold about 3. The E34 had a TRX option but they tended to be a lot better as they had stiffer anti roll bars and were wider and less roly poly. 

On the E28 they were near enough to dangerous in the wet. They were a good deal for manufacturers as Michelin supplied the tyres free of charge, and then raped owners for replacements. 

In Germany, the TRX became an option from around 1988. 

6 hours ago, duncan-uk said:

^ really? Only ever seen the 16's and assumed M-Division said Nein to the metrics?

Very early LHD M5's had the 415 metrics but were dumped very quickly. Similarly the M635CSi on those lovely but useless metric BBS split rims. The official reason for customer cars being recalled was for air tightness but BMW had been in trouble before for cars that were a bit tail happy. The Swedes in particular suspended E 21 323i sales when the numbers of cars involved in accidents mounted up. 

24 minutes ago, Sir Anthony Regents-Park said:

They were the original TRX pattern. The GT arrived in the early 2000's. 

Yeh it was about 2011 I bought them. 

1 hour ago, Sir Anthony Regents-Park said:

They were the original TRX pattern. The GT arrived in the early 2000's. 

Man! i'm just amazed at how much information is in your head! :shock:

Hats off to you Sir!

On ‎15‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 13:01, dan101smith said:

Three official wheels for the M5:

16" Style 5s

Crappy metrics

15" steel winter wheels

These are exactly what are listed on ETK.

On 1/11/2020 at 12:09 PM, Captain Beaky said:

There was a set on flea bay that did not sell but the are big bucks for the original cross spokes or are you looking for metric wheels?

They are on my watch list if you want the contact

CB

Thanks, yes I would like to make contact as the 16” M5 wheels are what I am really after. I have 2 sets of metric bottle top style M535i wheels, one set refurbished and one set original with tyres, and will also have a set of 16” Alpina style. I have got £1500 for a set of unmarked alloys with good tyres

Edited by muggers