Hi Guys,

I'm running a high mileage (164,000) 2010 F10 530d M Sport. Planning to carry out an interim oil change at home this weekend. Which oil is everyone using 0w-30w or 5w-30w synthetic?

Many Thanks in advance

If you have an Asda near by then you can currently pick up 5l containers of 'own brand' fully synth LL04 oil for £15 (normally £22). I use it in my F11 and Mini :)

1 hour ago, sams255 said:

Buy this, you will get around 3 services out of it and its LL04

Just to say, I bought some of that last year. The seller was very helpful and easy to deal with in spite of an Ebay system error which made the transaction less than straightforward. I'd certainly recommend the seller. The oil seems fine too. I've done two services with it so far and my engine has had no complaints.

Tescos also have some on special offer occasionally for a good price

20191015-145328.jpg

Same price as the Adsa stuff mentioned above.

Edited by Cadwell Parker
Added info

5 hours ago, Estorilis said:

Hi Guys,

I'm running a high mileage (164,000) 2010 F10 530d M Sport. Planning to carry out an interim oil change at home this weekend. Which oil is everyone using 0w-30w or 5w-30w synthetic?

Many Thanks in advance

5w30 is fine so long as it conforms to BMW LL04 specification. You only need 0w30 in extremely cold climes which, if you’re in the U.K., you will never encounter. 

On 1/9/2020 at 6:45 PM, bee said:

If you have an Asda near by then you can currently pick up 5l containers of 'own brand' fully synth LL04 oil for £15 (normally £22). I use it in my F11 and Mini :)

That's quite a saving.  A quick check on opie oils, Euro Carparts and Amazon, have Amazon the cheapest.

I need to do my N57, so 7 litres and if you go to Halfrauds auto centre, you are looking at £112.  With Asda/Tesco, I am looking at £47 for oil and filter change!

Edited by Jimbo07g41
mistake

Either grade is fine and BMW have used both grades and others in my cars over the years. Very little difference in viscosity of either grade at similar temperatures, both of which go much colder than any UK temperature so you needn't worry. See chart on this site.

https://www.motorstate.com/oilviscosity.htm/

I've currently got 0W-30 in my sump, without issues. 

3-F0-C31-E2-E7-C8-4-AE1-8-BDF-D71350-C6-

But whatever you buy must meet LL04 spec which usually translates to C3 on ACEA rating and SN on the API rating. 

Today my dad has bought oil from BMW as he is going to do an interim oil change on his G01.

0W-30.

EA7-D4-FAE-57-AA-4-F7-F-AD21-5-B578-EC3-

£10 a litre with a friendly discount from our local dealer, but he really wants it for the invoice.

So inspired by this post I have carried out an interim service.  Asda had a good offer on, so LL04 oil cost me £26 and filter from Euro £11 with weekend.  Took me around forty minutes start to finish.

Overheard an interesting conversation in the que.  A dealer was buying an oil filter and then asked for the cheapest 5 30 they had in stock.  I know dealers buy oil in bulk so couldn't quite understand why he was buying oil from euro cars on a Saturday.  Maybe he was doing his own car at work!

So if your getting a service done at a garage I would ask what brand and grade they use. 

Edited by Jimbo07g41

On 1/10/2020 at 2:07 PM, 535i Andrew said:

Today my dad has bought oil from BMW as he is going to do an interim oil change on his G01.

0W-30.

£10 a litre with a friendly discount from our local dealer, but he really wants it for the invoice.

Gosh by my maths, he has paid a few quid for the branding.  But I guess it gives piece of mind.

10 minutes ago, Jimbo07g41 said:

Gosh by my maths, he has paid a few quid for the branding. 

Yup, he's spending my inheritance like there is no tomorrow. 

11 minutes ago, Jimbo07g41 said:

But I guess it gives piece of mind.

Exactly why he's doing it.

:D

On 10/01/2020 at 14:07, 535i Andrew said:

0W-30.

Harry Fairbairn Glasgow BMW sell on ebay 12 litres for 100 pounds you could have paid 8.33 per bottle and got a BMW receipt.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-BMW-Engine-Oil-0W30-Fully-synthetic-LL04-12-X-1-Litre-Containers/254425832504?hash=item3b3cf61c38:g:JggAAOSwjDZYlK00

21 hours ago, sams255 said:

Harry Fairbairn Glasgow BMW sell on ebay 12 litres for 100 pounds you could have paid 8.33 per bottle and got a BMW receipt.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-BMW-Engine-Oil-0W30-Fully-synthetic-LL04-12-X-1-Litre-Containers/254425832504?hash=item3b3cf61c38:g:JggAAOSwjDZYlK00

Thanks for that, pity as I'll need some oil in September/October for mine.  Ironically it was Harry Fairbairns that sold my dad the oil for £10/litre.

I have been using this, I change the oil every 8k miles. 

One thing I have found with this stuff is the soot levels in the DPF are right down when monitored, so it must be a very low ash content oil. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ELF-5w-30-Fully-Synthetic-Engine-Oil-API-SN-CF-ACEA-C3-BMW-LL-04-20-Litre-20L/223426246528?epid=26029863802&hash=item34053df780:g:IbcAAOSwwRtcdpoj

On 1/11/2020 at 11:31 PM, sams255 said:

Thats exactly where i get them from, and exactly for my own peace of mind. I even put little bit of fresh oil down and watch it come out of sump make sure i got all the dirty oil out probably way overkill but whynot.